The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

Heh, I think simplenoob is talking about the AI in T2, since he's talking about sliptip's FM...

Ooh yes. The AI in TDM are many things, but clunky isn't one of them. (Sometimes I wish they were more clunky than they are. :ph34r:)
Our AI models, on the other hand, are in much better hands and fit very well with everything else.
+17,010.

Back OT - that hotel pic is amazing. Love the sense of high-altitude misty isolation (and the lawn growing on the roof).

tumblr_ml0fvsdinI1qz4edwo1_1280.jpg

(from here)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Very impressive!

I would use the patch inspector to reduce the tris count a bit. The geometry is very nice, but using so fine tessellation is gonna cause a huge performance impact, especially of those model ceilings and walls are shadow casting. Remember to monsterclip properly so that the AI can navigate that steady slope and the twisty walls.

;):laugh:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The second shot of that street/city is very impressive, too.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Good to know I wasn't the only one whose first instinct was to think of it in-game.

It's exciting that mapping is getting close enough to reality that you really have to pay attention to tell the difference anymore.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I was struck by how much the picture resembled In Rememberance of Him.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I think RPG used a much of atches (never looked it up, though).

However, he really gave his map a "natural" look and feel. So RPGista, where is your bloody next FM. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that looks pretty good! I wonder if they took a whole life for creating such nice textures with their spec maps and so on.. :o

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

This is a readable from the T2 mission "Sturmdrang peak" Who ever wrote this is very good, the delivery and calibre of the wording and grammar are very entertaining :-D.

Such a bright and sunlit day as had rarely bloomed these last months saw Terrence amble carefree in the dappled wood. This muddy peasant, unwashed and robed in layered earth, a stench most grossly offensive to the senses had he. A hideous visage protruded from his neck, and weeping sores he had aplenty. This hopeless bumpkin, condemned by cruel fate to a life bereft of carnal satisfaction, was nonetheless jubilant, his aspirations as base as his achievements.

As chance would have it, he stumbled on the wooded path and tumbled gracelessly down a grass-lined slope to a merry stream beneath. Upon raising his bruised and mud-bedecked head, a bewitching maiden of such radiant countenance and pulchritudinous form that he thought her but a phantasm of his mind's own creation swam into focus before his eyes. With but a glance his ambitions swelled in stature such that he questioned the fulfillment of his meagre accomplishments thus far"

in his pitiful life. A passionate fire awoke within him, and he yearned most lustfully for this divine apparition before him. She sat on the far bank, combing locks of lustrous gold and singing musically to herself a wordless tune of harmonic beauty.Now despite his thus-far aimless existence, young Terrence was possessed of a mind of cunning and guile, a brain more suited to scholarly pursuits, wasted in sloth behind a foolish and loose-jawed smile. His thoughts now racing with purpose and direction, he appraised the situation and retired post-haste from the tinkling bank.

He returned ere-long sporting clean-streaked markings in the grime of his face, a re-purposed bucket atop his crown, and a splintered broom handle stolen from a nearby farm grasped in his hand.The maid started as Terrence arrived from behind an oak. "Fair lady, be not afeared." "I became separated from my brethren and your beautious singing hath guided me to thee" he said at once.

"Thy brethren?" said she, "Of what manner of troupe art thou a player?" "Nay, o exquisite maiden, my name is Sir Terrence. I am of the Knights of the Realm, famed for their nobility and chivalry. I am returned of late from the front lines of war and seek only the calming ministrations of honest folk." She gazed him up and down and said "Thy chivalry I shall not question, though your nobility seems somewhat lacking."

"I regret my appearance is less than lordly. Though I comprehend thy doubts and ask no charity, you should know that my armour of opulent gold and resplendent filigree was misappropriated from my person as I slept by brigands most dishonourable. I repeled their" "dastardly attempts on my life, though the skirmish caused my battle-worn sword to finally fracture, leaving but this wooden handle." With these words spake confident he brandished his broom handle as were it an efficacious blade. He continued with fervor.

"As the fiendish bandits departed, one laid a blow, a lucky shot, upon my bonce, and dented my once-stalwart helmet such that it's function is mightily impaired. Why, it now better resembles a bucket than the grand headgear of a Knight of the Realm" he exclaimed with a haughty chuckle. "My lord, I meant no offence,\" said the maid, her eyes wide and her bosom aflutter with awe for this tragically afflicted hero. \"If thou art agreeable, allow me to tend to thy wounds and aches. All the comforts of my home are yours, o defender of the kingdom. A warm bath will surely wash the battle stench from thee and"

" a night on feathered pillows will dissipate the fatigue from thy body" "Milady you are too kind. Just to look upon your wondrous visage is relief enough." The girl blushed and took the grubby peasant by his dirt-encrusted hand."Nay, I shall not hear of a valiant soldier denied my hospitality, come." And lo, didst a sharp wit and indomitable manner delude the dazzling damsel and win for Terrence a night of fornication most inconceivable for one of his station, til the morn when did his ruse slip and he was chased from the town by her wrathful and pitchfork-wielding father.

Les toits de France, Hans Silvester.

Who ever wrote this is very good, the delivery and calibre of the wording and grammar are very entertaining :-D.

Must be in the eye of the beholder. It's amusing, but the language has all the hallmarks of someone trying to make something sound old fashioned by using big words without knowing exactly what their connotation is.

Clarity is always preferable; if the language is getting in the way of the message you're doing it wrong.

Your turn, pussy ... anka :smile: