Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

The third one is just *beautyful*. :wub:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I think it would be fun to do something like an abandoned cathedral or manor. I'd get a chance to go crazy with the clipper tool and take chucnks out of things so it gets a nice 'falling apart' look.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

• 3 weeks later...

If someone needs random notes and manuscripts:

Notebook of Leonardo da Vinci ('The Codex Arundel'). A collection of papers written in Italian by Leonardo da Vinci (b. 1452, d. 1519), in his characteristic left-handed mirror-writing (reading from right to left), including diagrams, drawings and brief texts, covering a broad range of topics in science and art, as well as personal notes. The core of the notebook is a collection of materials that Leonardo describes as 'a collection without order, drawn from many papers, which I have copied here, hoping to arrange them later each in its place according to the subjects of which they treat' (f. 1r), a collection he began in the house of Piero di Braccio Martelli in Florence, in 1508. To this notebook has subsequently been added a number of other loose papers containing writing and diagrams produced by Leonardo throughout his career. Decoration: Numerous diagrams.

http://www.bl.uk/man...l_ms_263_f001r#

Gospel of Luke, ff 2v-89v, preceded by a portrait of St Luke the Evangelist, f 1, and capitula (fragmentary), f 2.f 1v is blank.

http://www.bl.uk/man...d_ms_4951_f001r

Canon tables, ff 10-11v.Portrait of St Matthew the Evangelist, f 12.Housed in a separate volume.

http://www.bl.uk/man...d_ms_5111_f010r

Eusebius of Caesarea, Epistula ad Carpianum ad canones evangeliorum praemissa (TLG 2018.013), ff 1v-2v, preceded by an erased part in f 1.Table of canons, ff 3-6v.

http://www.bl.uk/man...d_ms_5107_f001r

Loads of beautyfull manuscripts. Under main http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts you have search tool, where you can specify just year of requested books.

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Rooftop mission: Prague in the 1930s.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Melan

That is a great pic and those vistas in-game are grand moments but how does that get implemented in-game with visportals when you can see rooftops so far in the distance? I'm dealing with that issue currently.

Edited by Lux

Short answer is, you don't build vistas like that because they won't visportal.

Long answer, height variations can properly break up scenes like that into places which do. A few higher buildings like you see in the background, natural elevation or towers and other inaccessible pieces of architecture can come in handy - afterwards, you basically have "windows" around them which are all sealed up properly, and tricks like horizontal visportals blocking off courtyards from a distance (perhaps multiple ones, too, one for each level). As another advantage, this will make the cityscape more interesting and varied.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

You must make choke pointswhere you break the continuity.

tcjUN1c.png

See? Green is void sealing worldspawn, red is visportals. You make the roof tops where the player can move lower. Then you have higher buildings at the sides, blocking the player's reach and visibility. Then you have some tall buildings the player travels between: that is a good spot for a visportal.

More effective way is to force the player go through a apartment, occasionally, like I did in phrase_book. That allows nice compartmentalization. Even better for performance would be to build the buildings in a modular way and use make a lower-poly LOD building switch in when the player is far away.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks. Yeah I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to break up the rooftop visibility without ruining the effect I wanted for my map. I guess I'll just have to want something different.

I'm not sure how to do the LOD thing though I was thinking if I could break it in to like 6 sections and only allow the player to cross at certain spots and then cubemap or skybox their surroundings in each area with the views of the rest of the city they'd normally see from each section.

link

Edited by Lux

In that first link the stone walls, the cobblestone front drive... looks like the TDM textures were mADe from them! Stunningly beautiful architecture.

Edited by Lux

@ Lux: Dont just limit it to rooftops. Have some buildings that are too big for the player to gain access to the rooftop. Instead they have to go through air vents and windows that lead through peoples attics. These are easy to visportal and will do a nice job of stopping lots of rooftops being rendered at once. That's how I'd do it anyway.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

The Ourorboros

The skull represents death and the wings under it can represent different things to different people but in this case its probably "flight from death" or to "fly away from death for eternity" with the Ourorboros encircling it.

Kind of like wishing someone well beyond the grave.

@Sir Taffsalot

If you look at the screenshots of Eze Village, most the buildings are of similar height and from the rooftops there would be a great view of the city scape down to the water. That was what I wanted to capture. I'm pretty sure I can get it to run and with horizontal visportals over the streets it shouldn't be too bad performance wise, probably about like Crystal Grave 2.0 in the beginning with long view distances.

I'd rather preserve the original vision even if it means sacrificing some of the audience unfortunately. We'll see though, as its on hold now and a low priority thread.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...