The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I don't suppose there's anything akin to Islam in the TDM universe but this window is too good to pass by

Sidi_Sayed_%28Jali%29_Mosque%2CAhmedabad.JPG

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I don't suppose there's anything akin to Islam in the TDM universe

There is, actually, though there are few to no assets atm (I have a moor character model, but still need a vocal set).

From the wiki:

To the south and west is a warm, temperate sea. Across the sea to the south is a much hotter continent, inhabited by moors and saracens. They are sophisticated and learned, but they worship strange gods and practice magic. Mercenaries from these lands occasionally come to the city for work, and merchants buy captives to sell to southerners as slaves.

In the fiction of the campaign I scripted, meant to still be in the TDM universe, I named their religion the Ghazi (Turkish for warriors), with their symbol being a scimitar, color green, and as a caricatured Islam as much as the Builders are caricatured Catholic.

In my fiction there's also a district in Bridgeport with a majority of this population and other foreigners & minorities. The main difference to Spring though is that in my fiction I was thinking they'd be the people of neighboring Menoa (to the West, the capital of Menoa being equivalent to Baghdad with a Sultan & Grand Mosque), so I was calling them Menoan nationals & that district Little Menoa. But I could move them across the sea if it's more consistent with our universe. Do we have a name for this region and a central capital?

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Menoa is, in my head (following the assumption that TDM geography is at least similar to Earth), always been Spanish/Portugeuse in flavour. The eastern part of the empire was Romanesque.

Do we have a name for this region and a central capital?

Not at the moment. Would you like to help me with it? I was having trouble coming up with names and phrases in the script I was writing for the new moor characters.

Ok, I'll adapt what I've written to that geography and boil down some basic facts out of it in a post somewhere, and all the good stuff we can wikify later.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Here's a short primer on the Arab-like faction that fits in with my original vision of them.

Suggestions and alt visions welcome too.

Nation: natively Qarah-Wasat (Middle-Land) / Karwasat in the Imperial language (what Builders call it)

Race: natively the Wasta or Wasat people (the middle people). Common Builders are more likely to call them moors and saracens.

Capital City: Alwah (The Oasis)

Religion: Ghazi (Warriors)

The dominant religion in Karwasat in my vision are the Ghazi, as well as a few other religious minorities including small Southern Builder (racially distinct from Imperial builders) and Pakdamani sects.

Ghazi is a religion that privileges warriors. The principal deity is Al-Ghazi, the warrior. (In my vision, the Wasta believe Al-Ghazi and The Builder are brother deities, but Al-Ghazi is the senior & the Builder is subservient to him; as well as possibly other deities. I think the Builders believe in just the one deity, the Builder.) The main symbol for the religion is a scimitar. The main color is green. They are more open with magic. Bridgeport has a district for the Wasta called Little Karwasat that is prone to frequent pogroms & crackdowns. Tolerance for their religious practice waxes and wanes, but the Wasta are known as important traders in Bridgeport.

Names are adapted from Arabic for common things and Turkish for royal/sophsticated things. The current religious leader of the Ghazi is the High Imam Taqay in the Grand Mosque in Alwah. The current political/military leader of Karwasat is the Pasha Hirsli in the palace in Alwah. There are countless tribes and clans within the Wasta with possibly their own deities and traditions as well, although I think most would still call themselves Ghazi and privilege al-Ghazi.

I've written a number of Ghazi scripts. The gist of them in my mind is about sharpening swords and practicing sparring as part of religious practice, the purifying effects of warfare, courage is strength / mercy is weakness, the world is generally evil and needs to burn and being pure means starting the fire, etc, etc.

Sounds good to me. Can you provide the pronounciation for those names?

Also, I wouldn't mind looking at the scripts you have...I could work some of the lines into the vocal set script I've been putting together.

I'll PM you on the scripts. Probably should get an Arabic speaker to check the pronunciation and that they don't sound stupid (or worse).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stumbled across this today, from the 1300s: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nitor-26288958#

_73138057_courtauld_bag_624.jpg

I was wishing for handbags, travel cases, all those types of accessories for people in my latest WIP. Extra points for being able to contain loot and more generic patterns/skins.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Did you guys know about this site: https://www.shadertoy.com/ ?

I'm having fun surfing all the different shaders.

Makes me want to play around with making a shader sometime myself.

I think as far as assets go, compared to sounds and models and textures, it's on the more neglected end.

Here are two recent pictures I took in Kraków:

tumblr_n1h0h11DYm1rxmn3vo3_500.jpg

tumblr_n1h0h11DYm1rxmn3vo1_500.jpg

...and three in Nikiszowiec, a planned miners' colony in Katowice:

tumblr_n1i19wsdlQ1rxmn3vo2_500.jpg

tumblr_n1i19wsdlQ1rxmn3vo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n1i19wsdlQ1rxmn3vo3_r1_500.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved