The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

You wouldn't need to do anything other than resize it. Make it a blend filter texture and it will go over top of any parchment you like.

...that was fast. Could you replace ''London'' with Bridgeport or ''B-port'', though? B)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

...that was fast. Could you replace ''London'' with Bridgeport or ''B-port'', though?

Should be able to, I will first try and copy and paste existing fonts and if that dont work I will have to type real fints and haxk away at them to make them look the same as the rest.

I will do it when I get back from the shops ^_^

While you are at it might you want to change/remove the bible quote/Jerusalem/Revelations reference?

I cant see where that is and to be honest if its not at the end of beginning of a sentance it aint gonna happen.

Look for the font called "Caslon". Caslon made the fonts used in broadsides and pamphlets back in the 18th century.

Sweet, will bear that in mind for next time.

@Melan, here yer go

- mega

icNTC3ketqqJW.jpg

I cant see where that is and to be honest if its not at the end of beginning of a sentance it aint gonna happen.

It's the line: "There shall in no wise enter into the Heavenly Jerusalem, anything that defileth, or worketh Abomination." Revelations. 21:27.

It's right above words, "The Sixth Edition, Corrected and Enlarged". It's after the line, "...practice became barren and diseased." Ironically it's both the beginning and end, as it's an entire sentence from the bible.

Oh, it's also the part in italics.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

It's actually a very appropriate line for Builder theology, if you replaced "Jerusalem" with "City".

It's actually a very appropriate line for Builder theology, if you replaced "Jerusalem" with "City".

Oh? Why change Jerusalem then, if literal bible quotes are good, and Builder theology simply is Christianity, then Jerusalem is the name for their "City".

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

In brief:

1. We generally avoid recognizable real-world place names.

2. Builder theology isn't Christianity, although it's heavily inspired by it. Just like Bridgeport isn't London or Constantinople, although it's heavily influenced by them.

It's the line: "There shall in no wise enter into the Heavenly Jerusalem, anything that defileth, or worketh Abomination." Revelations. 21:27.

Done and Done.

Should be easy enoguh to do in Gimp.

There you go

Ah yes, nothing does self-pollution better than Gimp. ;)

That deserves at least a wink.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Cool graphic work Biker. None of the following is meant as a critique in that regard certainly! :-)

2. Builder theology isn't Christianity, although it's heavily inspired by it. Just like Bridgeport isn't London or Constantinople, although it's heavily influenced by them.

So then why use an actual Christian direct Bible quote if the theology isn't Christianity?

We have several problems here.

1. It's plagiarism in it's current form (lacking citation of a quote from a published work).

2. Changing "Jerusalem" to "City" has altered the original author's intended meaning.

3. Copyright, while obviously the original biblical texts are in the Public Domain, the modern translations are not.

4. Sacrilege.

In it's current form, it's plagiarism. The citation has been removed. I'm not Christian and I've never read the bible, but I easily recognized that was from the book of Revelations because the citation was there. I verified it before posting my first suggestion of removal, by googling a part of that line, and it came up from multiple online bible sites.

So if the line is used, the bible citation should go back in to avoid plagiarism.

Paraphrasing would be better, but that would mean expressing similar via different words, instead of superficially altering a direct quote from a copyright work.

I imagine folks of Christian persuasion might be offended that a quote from their holy text is being perverted to this use. Especially if the Builders have been defined as not Christian. This is using Christian's holy words in support of heathens. Simply removing the name of their heavenly city, "Jerusalem", and replacing it with generic "City", is conscripting the sentiment.

It all just seems to tread dangerous ground to me.

In it's current form, it's plagiarism.

Nope, the original image is covered by creative commons lic - http://wellcomeimage...t&_IXMAXHITS_=1

and as such I have now downloaded the hi-res version and will tweak that -

- http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11610-darkmod-inspiration-thread/page__view__findpost__p__348895

Nope, the original image is covered by creative commons lic - http://wellcomeimage...t&_IXMAXHITS_=1

Did you look at the license? It's Creative Commons Attribution. Exactly an element that has been removed here! Also a derivative work can't grant a more lenient license than that of the materials used. (Nobody suggests they legitimately can license it that way for legal use anyway.)

I'm no expert, but it seems it's not just plagiarism of the bible, but attribution of the image is obviously required as well, ugh. There's another point to add to the list unless TDM already includes that facility in the licensing.

Meanwhile, all the other points remain, why co-opt Christianity for TDM theology?

PS: But frankly, aside from the ethics, it doesn't sound like ya'll are likely to get sued, just offend a major religion.

PPS: Talking with others, not only does the bible need to be credited, and the website that scanned it, but the work that it came from as well, perhaps "T. CrouchLondon" from my read of your linked source?

PS: But frankly, aside from the ethics, it doesn't sound like ya'll are likely to get sued, just offend a major religion.

Ooooh! Is it too late for me to use it in my FM?

*evil smile*

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

The KJV is certainly public domain. As are virtually all documents older than a hundred years or so. I'm not sure what the legal status of a scanned image from a public domain source is but I highly doubt it falls under the protection of artistic works.

Copyright expires after like 75 years, so there's no legal issue. Also, the bible has to be the most copied work in history. Look at how much Shakespeare lifted.

I can't see it as blasphemous either. Aside from the fact that changing the wording itself makes it in TDM's universe & not our's, it's also harmless in religious terms IMO. If someone likes the message, they should be happy the people of TDM have an equivalent. It's not like a gratuitous blasphemy like a poster of Mohammad's face would be.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Now take a look at these:

tumblr_n803uwudeR1rav39bo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n803uwudeR1rav39bo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n803uwudeR1rav39bo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_n803uwudeR1rav39bo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n803uwudeR1rav39bo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n803uwudeR1rav39bo5_1280.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Continued:

tumblr_n803uwudeR1rav39bo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n803uwudeR1rav39bo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n803uwudeR1rav39bo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n803uwudeR1rav39bo1_1280.jpg

Amazing to see that the places you'd see in illustrations for the Grimm tales, or found in F. W. Murnau's movies were all based on reality after all.