The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

Lots of fun building those. Guess it will take you some time ;)

If I were you I would add some moving parts and steam particles, though.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

LOL, but man it would be awesome to work on, the next water works building I make in DR will be based on the above location and MACHINE!

here is a shot of the underside of it -

3040280168_0ece9f9692_o.jpg

..and here we have the front forks, as soon as the London eye closes we're putting it here, still looking for a chain and a rear wheel....

Major_Weir%27s_House.jpg

The Bow, Edinburgh, Scotland, former home of Major Thomas Weir, a preacher who allegedly committed acts of sorcery, incest and bestiality. The house is said to be haunted by his unquiet spirit.

"Major Thomas Weir (Carluke, South Lanarkshire 1599 – Edinburgh 1670) was a Scottish soldier and presumed occultist, executed for witchcraft.

Weir was a native of Carluke (Kirkstyle) in Lanarkshire, descendant of one of the most powerful and ancient families of the County, the Weir-de Veres. He was the son of Thomas Weir, Laird of Kirkton, and his wife Lady Jean Somerville who was reputed to possess clairvoyant powers. His grandfather was William Weir, or Vere, of Stonebyres Castle who married Lady Elizabeth Hamilton. Weir was a signatory to the Solemn League and Covenant and an officer in the Scottish anti-Royalist army. As a Lieutenant, he served in Ulster during the Irish Rebellion of 1641. In 1650, he obtained the post of commander of the Edinburgh Town Guard, thus acquiring the rank of major. When the defeated royalist general Montrose—branded a traitor for changing sides—was brought to Edinburgh for execution, Weir notoriously mocked and abused him during his custody.[2]

Following retirement, Weir fell ill in 1670, and from his sick-bed began to confess to a secret life of crime and vice. The Lord Provost initially found the confession implausible and took no action, but eventually Weir and his spinster sister, Jean Weir (known to her friends as 'Grizel'), were taken to the Edinburgh Tolbooth for interrogation. Major Weir, now in his seventies, continued to expand on his confession and Grizel, having seemingly entirely lost her wits, gave an even more exaggerated history of witchcraft, sorcery and vice. She related how many years before a stranger had called in a "fiery" coach to take her brother to Dalkeith and how during the short trip another man had given him "supernatural intelligence" (Chambers) of the Scots' defeat at Worcester that same day.[3] (In fact, Cromwell's Commonwealth Commissioners in Scotland had been based in Dalkeith and would have been among the first to know the outcome of the battle—though not, of course, on the same day.) Grizel maintained that Weir derived his power from his walking stick, topped by a carved human head, giving rise to later accounts that it had often been seen parading down the street in front of him.

Whilst as a high-ranking public figure Weir was not believed at first, his own confession together with that of his sister sealed his fate. Both were quickly found guilty at their trial and sentenced to death. [2]

While awaiting execution, they were confined in the former leper colony at Greenside below the Calton Hill. Weir was garrotted and burned at the Gallowlee[4] (literally, "gallows field") on the road between Edinburgh and Leith[5] (a site later occupied by the Shrubhill tram depot, then bus garage, near Pilrig on Leith Walk). His last words, while being urged to pray for forgiveness, were reported as, "Let me alone—I will not—I have lived as a beast, and I must die as a beast".[6] Weir's stick was consigned to the flames after him, reportedly making "rare turnings" in the fire. Shortly before his end Weir had made a further public confession of incest with his sister, who was executed in the Grassmarket.[7] The remains of the Weirs were buried at the base of the gallows at Shrub Hill, as was the custom of the time.

The Weirs' house in the West Bow stood empty for over a century because of its reputation for being haunted. It was said that one of Weir's enchantments made people ascending the stair think they were descending in the opposite direction.[8] It was eventually bought cheaply in about 1780 by an ex-soldier William Patullo who moved in with his wife. They are said to have fled the house on their first night there after experiencing a strange apparition of a calf approaching them in the night, propping itself up with its forelegs on the bed-end and staring at them in bed.[9] According to Walter Scott, the house, which remained unoccupied after the incident, was demolished in 1830.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man I love thoise dishonored shots, Im very impressed with the small textures sizes they used - pretty much the same or smaller than ours And talking of covered items, this is what I whish we had and the bushes look amazing.

8PzZMjL.jpg

3HmC0l2.jpg

Now that we can use the fog light/caulk trick in 2.03 I imagine we could foreseably build some complex and small zones of similar size to T4.

Not easy to do that kind of thing with regular brushes. If I could make some suggestions for improvements:

Be careful about how you align the textures, as there's a visible seam right on the corner of those horizontal boards. Some of the other ones have seams as well, which makes them not read as single pieces of wood. There are better textures for those kinds of pieces, like the rough_wood series, or the texture used on the actual board models (which I can't recall atm). Lastly, some dirt decals and nails might help sell it.

If I remember correctly, they are incredibly expensive (as in hundreds/thousands of Euros), and are mostly for movie CGI sets.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Not the Unity ones I've been looking at. The medieval set in the first images was 65$ or thereabouts. When you see the video of the city set you can see that the modelling is actually quite low poly--a lot of what makes it look so good in the still images is the lighting and textures. I don't think they're AAA level quality, but they're still decent, and could easily be useful to us if they were free and legal (and there are some free ones).

An interview from Eric Brosius, the sound designer of the Thief games and System Shock:

Here he tells us how he created the amazing music and sound of Thief what was the purpose behind the sound cues and how it all came together. The interview is Warren Spector. You may know him as the founder and studio director of Ion Storm.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

05-le-vieux-bourg.jpg

by Gérard Trignac. Check out the entire gallery at http://www.trignac-gerard.com/Galerie-1; he has a great eye for Piranesi-inspired labyrinthine architecture

Nice link, thanks! Feels very Lovecraftian.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Just found a copy on youtube of one of my favorite black-and-white thrillers. It's "The Spiral Staircase" (1946), with a very well done plot and *excellent* cinematography.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

It is a great movie.

05-le-vieux-bourg.jpg

by Gérard Trignac. Check out the entire gallery at http://www.trignac-gerard.com/Galerie-1; he has a great eye for Piranesi-inspired labyrinthine architecture

I guess this would not be possible due to visportalization, would it? :o

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I guess this would not be possible due to visportalization, would it? :o

I bet it's possible if you use LOD. You won't need more than half a million tris on screen to recreate that scene and to get it to look detailed when the player gets close-up, just plenty of forward planning!

You cannot make everything accessible, except if you would use distance-based models, but if it is out of the accessible area one could fake such a look. It would be very time-consuming either, though.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter