The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

Not to go too far down the rabbit hole but I also tried a reverse image search after giving up on it and

came up empty. I think the VanishedOne is either a Codex-er or knows where Melan hangs out... ;)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

It was a matter of fortune, not reverse image search, that I'd already seen the Codex thread. Whether I should have posted the links is open to dispute, but as far as I was concerned the challenge was gone anyway; the answer had been sitting there on a widely read gaming forum.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Very well. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

t59ow1k5w15ee81zg.jpg

oiy852d3tregno0zg.jpg

8szcm24f7dhdcbxzg.jpg

7tpoq69bbi9l7i7zg.jpg

xa1p9pfwdacb286zg.jpg

pjzzbv12fy88wgmzg.jpg

Some of my own photos of medieval and early modern housing.

The first four images are from Levoča, the fifth is from Košice, the last one is from Nitra. The fifth one is technically a reconstruction of an existing early modern building, and was based on some Turkish or general Ottoman urban architecture from the 17th century or thereabouts. (It's always reminded me of some of the mansions from Thief II, TBH. :))

These are some of the photos I've already posted a few years ago over at TTLG.

BTW, as I'm still a bit of a newbie on this forum, I'd like to ask : Do we have a thread (or threads) where we can discuss writing and plotting for FMs ? While it's obvious everyone prefers to keep the story of their FM a surprise to others, I would personally like to discuss some decisions with others, just so I could avoid elements of hack writing in my FM and so on...

Edited by Petike the Taffer

I don't know of one. I think it'd be fine if you started your own thead.

BTW, I wrote a wiki page on plot design. It's long and more like a treatise than a tutorial, but it might help your thinking.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Story_and_Plot_Design

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I don't know of one. I think it'd be fine if you started your own thead.

BTW, I wrote a wiki page on plot design. It's long and more like a treatise than a tutorial, but it might help your thinking.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Story_and_Plot_Design

Oh, this is wonderful ! B):o Thank you so much for all the work put into this. :smile:

I'll be sure to use it as a general guideline in case I'm stuck or have a feeling that the plotting for my FM isn't developing well.

I'd love to contribute to a thread on fm storytelling if it was started :-).

OK then, your wish is my command.

EDIT:

Thread up and running. B)

Edited by Petike the Taffer

This would make such a good layout if turned into a map

aLol6Ng.jpg

I wonder if there are actual schematics for this location?

There sure are!

c6aLfGI.png

yT59uI9.png

And if you're after more info / pictures

http://www.burg-eltz.de/en/castle-tour.html

The inside is also very very beautiful

Excellent! Once I finish my WIP, I will seriously consider turning my sights on this! The photograph really reminds me Bikerdude's "The Cadacus of St. Alban."

I just followed the link you posted, Goldwell...Wow! With the rooms perfectly preserved, you can almost map 1x1, or simply use the available images to isolate key aspects of the room.

Edited by Dunedain19

Tels once wanted to build this iirc. Definetely amazing.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yeah you can use Blender. You should leave space to put in brushwork so people can walk around inside the ship and it will visportal correctly.

Look at the modeling tutorials on our wiki -- http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Modeling

This one answers a lot of basic questions -- http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Starting_to_Model_for_TDM

If you want to start with putting your ship in an FM, then just remember your FM pk4 uses the same folder structure as the game. So drop all the files you need in your FM's folders in the right ones as described in the tutorials and it'll show up in-game for you, or in DR when you're building, and then you package everything in a pk4 when you're ready for release.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You can also build them directly in DarkRadiant. It may not be as comfortable as using a modeling program, but you would save the time learning the latter.

Here are some screenshots from Dying Light -

iUAHVbZXZABiB.jpg

ilHl72qUDIFIR.jpg

iZJyMbr8zHu5o.jpg

irfErylZnjjE7.jpg

ibmMrpCqjQPKob.jpg

What occurs to me is a lot of texture work done in this game could be replicated in TDM, for example the shadows under the lip of the steps on stairs givig the illusion there is an overhang there etc. The carpet/s in this game are just awesome, we need a bunch of persian rug textures. I cluded the door for Melan as I know he loves a good metal texture with good normals and specular :-)

When I saw the first shot I though it was a photo and started wondering why there is an gui, until I read you post and noticed it is from a game :o

Awesome looking game. Seeing this I could really get into the mood of buying it, but I fairly doubt it would look like this on my pc, if it even runs.

for example the shadows under the lip of the steps on stairs givig the illusion there is an overhang there etc.

I guess this effect can be faked with decals.

That's photorealism all right!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Sadly, my post isn't accompanied by an inspirational image.

I am planning to build an elevator for my WIP. I was searching for images of Victorian elevators and never really found anything suitable. As it turns out, I discovered that the much-maligned 2014 Thief game has an elevator in Chapter 6. From the playthrough videos that I've seen, it looks very impressive and is something that I would like to build in DR (or at least...attempt).

The main obstacle is that I don't own a copy of Thief (2014) so I cannot examine the architecture from the various angles needed to gain an understanding of its construction, and online videos are focused on getting through the area, rather than admiring the scenery.

Would it be possible if someone - with a copy (obviously :P) - could kindly take some screenshots for me?

Edited by Dunedain19