The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

I've been collecting inspiration images of mainly Tudor and Jacobean towns and architecture for a little while. By now it's passed 200 pictures, about half are exteriors and the other half are interiors and furniture designs. Feel free to have a look too - below is a link to the album and some examples:

Dropbox - Tudor & Jacobean

2dec_2014__tudors_by_nanpikaso-d8enej7-1

9616633460_56fc1a4118_b.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Dragofer

Well, with your coding skills, youd make a great mapper, able to create all sorts of custom effects, unique events and stuff. You should definitely give it a shot!

Edited by RPGista

• 3 weeks later...

This is extremely tempting:

w7ZD0SW.jpg

It's probably too much for one person to handle within their spare time, but - how to visportal it?

Edited by Dragofer

That reminded me of this book from my childhood: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-Biestys-Cross-Sections-Man---War/dp/156458321X/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428581794&sr=8-2-fkmr3

Maybe I should dig that series out and see whether it's of any mapping use. I think I have http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-Biestys-Cross-Sections-Castle-Biesty/dp/1409382419/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FJCZQS2HK9KYN4EE9J2 somewhere as well.

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Visportalling the inside should be straightforward.. it's a cluster of boxes with nicely aligned doors. VPing the outside would be challenging. Some of the lower decks could make "rooms" but for the view from the top decks it'd be no use and you'd have to reply on setting up lod models.

It'd make for a big and unique mission... if you could ever finish it!

Lots of module potential here.

And another candidate here: http://www.shiva-engine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20862

Lots of module potential here.

And another candidate here: http://www.shiva-engine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20862

Has anyone managed to get any of these awesome unity modules into TDM yet? I assume its possible would just take a while

Springheel and myself have looked into importing models from unity and its not easy because -

1. untiy has no option for exporting models - short sightedness or deliverate on the part of the devs..?]
  2. the native object/model format .DAE is hard to import into lightwave/blender. - Springheel had to open them in maya and then export to lwo and even then the textures werent shown correctly.

Its a shame really because there were some lovely models in the package I got permission to use in the mod. If another modeler with more free time than Springs has, and wanted to get some building models into the mod this is one possible avenue.

Some rubbish I just thought of:

I'll try and inspire some lateral thinking for my self and maybe some one else if per chance they are in turn inspired by any way they may find well, Only with words because I am bad at everything else.
Opulent and rich are the words that crossed my mind when I suddenly came to a creeping holt; Making my way through the sewer systems trying to escape the city guard hot on my tail, I was confronted by something not unusual in my line of business however some what unusual in this particular circumstance. My predicament was not one of escape as much as one of curiosity for the hack ahead was surely a hired mercenary, Only put in these pits of refuse to prevent anyone exiting or at least anyone through the door he seemed to gravitate too.
Not even noticing my fumbled and sloshing excursion through the pestilence at our feet he continued to pace up and down in the filth around the door most inviting to me and under a grate through which I could see the lightning storm of the world I had just left striking down upon our world, All the time muttering the words (where is it? I know I lost it there so where the hell is it? It must be here)?
Obvious he was looking for something in the sewers at our feet but what I could only guess at that point. Either way I new I had to try that door or keep on for another mile at least in this decrepit stinking sewer. As I began to take pity on this poor soul hired only to protect that which he could never afford and prancing around in this putrid foul sewer searching for some lost piece of importance to him, I noticed he carried something on his belt, I saw the glimmer of something and nothing more though I suspected a key to the door of his insistent attentions and so assumed he had lost a coin or maybe a ring from above somehow finding it's way through the drain down to the slime we now stood in.
At this point I knew I had three choices before me. I could bypass the thug, Proceed through the sewers for a path that would take me at least an hour or more trudging through the slime to never think of it again with an almost certain confidence in escaping pursuit.
I could incapacitate him one way or the other and see what the door hides but I know what is above this sewer, The market area in general including the fish mongers, Abattoirs and the ship builders docks.
Optimistically I could attempt to befriend this character of which I know only what impression deludes in.
Perhaps I should wait longer in this shadow of misconception I thought to my self pessimistically?

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

This particular download of medieval houses/objects comes in both DAE and ASE formats, with textures already converted to DDS.

I tested one of the building models ("the guildhall"), and what I learned:

- a single texture for each object; we lose the stone/glass/wood/etc. granularity of multiple textures

- no bump map; would need to be created

- the building needs to be scaled up by 1.4 to fit our world (based on door height)

In DR, it ("the guildhall") looks like this:

But it doesn't show up in TDM, and I don't know why DR would understand the ASE and not TDM. The model is present because I can't walk through it. It's just not displaying the model texture.

Since I've no idea what else is involved in bringing a model into TDM, that's as far as I took it.

Has anyone managed to get any of these awesome unity modules into TDM yet? I assume its possible would just take a while

I've added a couple already, but it's a bit of a hassle getting them TDM ready (in addition to what Biker mentioned, the models themselves need some tweaking to work). And I've found they don't look especially good close-up, even after that.

@grayman: Is the model visible in DR when you switch to full render mode? Is there a proper material file?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Free download available for non-commercial use, no royalties. - http://www.shiva-engine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20862

This particular download of medieval houses/objects comes in both DAE and ASE formats, with textures already converted to DDS.

But it doesn't show up in TDM, and I don't know why DR would understand the ASE and not TDM. The model is present because I can't walk through it. It's just not displaying the model texture.

I will have a look at that then.