The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

St. Pancras Hotel, London:

tumblr_nt3q37UEEK1s3hp12o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nt3q37UEEK1s3hp12o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nt3q37UEEK1s3hp12o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nt3q37UEEK1s3hp12o4_1280.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Melan those stairs are damn perfect!

I was browsing on reddit and saw this picture which I found very inspiring

UdN2r.jpg

The ceiling :rolleyes:

7e80122a656cf7f1253aaa3f32e74633.jpg

Now that's an office I could work in! :D

Edited by Goldwell

I never thought anything Tolkienian could be usable as visual reference for TDM, but some of the illustrations and designs people have used for Bree often look fittingly close to TDM's preferred styles of rural and town architecture:

Darek_Zabrocki_-_Morning.jpg

Darek Zabrocki - Morning

prancing_pony_tavern_by_daroz-d6htwmm.jp

Darek Zabrocki - Bree

Bree-WITN1.png

(Bree as depicted in The War in the North RPG)

The_White_Council_-_Bree_Street_View.jpg

(Bree in the undeveloped RPG The White Council)

Bree3.jpg

(concept art of Bree made for the LOTR adaptations)

Edited by Petike the Taffer

Interestingly, none of them look anything close to Bree as I have imagined it. :laugh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I never thought anything Tolkienian could be usable as visual reference for TDM, but some of the illustrations and designs people have used for Bree often look fittingly close to TDM's preferred styles of rural and town architecture:

Those drawings are beautiful however I don't know if you've seen The Hobbit movies but they have a beautiful town called Lake Town in it which when I first saw it I thought was great inspiration for TDM

Heres the town if you haven't seen it.

• Like 1

Oh, I very much enjoyed their rendition of Lake Town (and virtually all the other production design too). They were spot-on with the architecture. :smile:

I (of course) saw the movie, which is why I haven't watched the video posted until now. But I noticed hat starting from 0:38 you see a nice palette of structures, that would be great prefabs for a city like laketown, if someone was inclined to make a city map inspired by it. I myself would love to do it, but I hardly find time to work on my WIP at the moment :(

Edited by Destined

Though we want to avoid making TDM too Thief-like, I wouldn't object to the presence of the mighty Bridgeport Clocktower. ;)

Incidentally, here are some photos I once posted to ttlg.com, showing the old bell tower in Košice's old town:

8c3wmp47cnjc0pqfg.jpg?size_id=6

uy0ezgd9xi7f0nkfg.jpg?size_id=6

(Older photo, there was some construction work on the square at the time.)

I think she would fit right in as a humbler, less stylized city clocktower or bell tower. The one introduced in TDS was perhaps a bit too grandiose in appearance.

And here's a little scene from a marketplace in that same old town quarter:

g96bp9r9cw37n15fg.jpg?size_id=4

It's always reminded me of that one mission in Thief II, with the marketplace by the canals. B)

Saw this and thought how cool would it be to have a working clock like this in TDM, each cog is turning at just the right speed as per it would in RL -

attachicon.gif2015-09-07_00001.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-09-07_00002.jpg

I wonder which came first.

thief_clocktower.jpg

Yeah, I remember that older Robin Hood game. The controls were in the vein of the Commandos or Desperados series.