The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

Look at this corner stairway:

post-496-0-46949100-1444746705_thumb.jpg

So....using SVN resources and some experimental engine code I whipped up a facsimile of the above image and expanded the area a bit ^_^

post-496-0-40575700-1444746309_thumb.jpgpost-496-0-18849900-1444746325_thumb.jpg

post-496-0-54691700-1444746334_thumb.jpg

I knew somebody would build it, but didn't think it would take so little time!

Well for me the trick was to get the size and number of the steps right and then the rest just fell into place. ^_^

And here is the map, but be aware some resources will be missing if your not using SVN -

wood_stairs.zip.txt

I'm currently making a really dark and gritty part of town and I found this to be amazing to listen to as I map. It really brings out that bottle of whiskey, jaded cop, the world is fucked feeling in you... goes great with making dark places in TDM surprisingly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZfaSNoZ6L0

Not just me then... "The cave that Max built" is still kicking around here somewhere... though for me, it was

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ERDYjsHBg

This has been shared here before, and it had been sitting in my "watch later" for a long time. Now I finally had time to watch it. The entire series is great. Check it out. Lots of useful info on the TDM time line real life equivalent.

It is so good that I wanted to share it again to make sure no mapper misses it.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks, Sotha. :)

A rare, music-related inspiration for you guys... Though we mostly focus on ambient music for obvious reasons, I've recently thought a bit about background music for places like taverns or banquette halls. In the sense that you hear it while your character is outside them, and the building itself is inaccessible and just window dressing. For example, Moonbo's Requiem had a tavern with a muffled Cantiga 166 cover by Vox Vulgaris coming from the inside.

So, if I could recommend anything, I'd say "try this on for size":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7DMcG3UCY0

Yes, it's In Taberna Quando Sumus from Carmina Burana. The version in the video is a complete and musically/lyrically pretty accurate cover. (Since most people only ever hear the Carl Orff version.) I particularly like the bit from around 2:45, where the whole thing descends into a rather simple drinking song where the lyrics comment on various period social classes getting drunk together. :smile: I think that bit, when sampled, could work for some FM where your character has learned of a large party at some bigger local inn or estate, where both the upper crust and the servants are getting wasted during an evening of celebrations.

(For pope and king alike all drink without restraint.

The mistress drinks, so does the master, the soldier drinks, so does the cleric, that man drinks, that woman drinks, the servant drinks with the maid, the fast man drinks, so does the slow, the white man drinks, so does the black, the stay-at-home drinks, so does the wanderer, the fool drinks, so does the scholar.

The poor drink, and the sick, the exile and the unknown, the boy, the greybeard, the bishop, the deacon, sister, brother, old woman, mother, that woman, this man, they drink by the hundred, by the thousand.)

Edited by Petike the Taffer

Since Sotha brought up that period living documentary again, I've remembered there's also this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCWWeBe2aoA

About the hidden dangers of a Tudor household to its occupants.

There are also two episodes on the "hidden killers" of Victorian households and one episode on the issues of Edwardian era housing.

Could be useful for a mission's storyline where someone died under mysterious circumstances and people are blaming it on murder, rather than bad in-door living conditions.

dark-narrow-streets-1200.jpg

"The Cité, maze of dark, narrow, and winding streets." -- Charles-François Daubigny, from Les mystères de Paris vol. 1 by Eugène Süe, Paris 1843."

(via)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

A trip to Deviantart:

nlQ84pp.jpg

This is, truly, how creepy mansions in the forest are done. (Manor by FlorentLlamas)

a7MdGSa.jpg

And this one seemed quite familiar ;) (Castaway by 88grzes)

I want to visit this tavern and have a pint after a long night of thievin'

XLkF78T.jpg

So....using SVN resources and some experimental engine code I whipped up a facsimile of the above image and expanded the area a bit ^_^

Damn, Bikerdude, those soft shadows look sweeeet. They're making me salivate for the next release!

Ontopic, I've been looking at hillside Italian towns, I really like the winding streets and verticality. The map I'm working on right now is pretty much flat, but I'd sure love to try my hand at something like this at some point.

ZRC5RHD.jpg

cby3mbX.jpg

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Italy is amazing that way. It seems every little town has something jaw-droppingly thiefy in it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

You could say anywhere along the Mediterranean from Spain to Greece maybe. I found the villages in Provence impossibly charming with their little streets and houses as well.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Damn, Bikerdude, those soft shadows look sweeeet. They're making me salivate for the next release!

Just so no one has unrealistic expectations, soft shadows are unlikely to be in the next release.

• 2 weeks later...

20151121_2011021_zpsyibdx7zu.jpg

What exactly is behind this secret door disguised as a book case?

Could it be a secret order of Necromancers trying to open a gateway so that the dead may walk amongst the living?

Perhaps it is a select few Builders who believe the ways of old are out of date and a new religious formation is now in order?

Or is it a group of thieves planning their next heist on some unsuspecting rich lord?

It's none of the above. It's the secret entrance to the function rooms above the Somers Town Coffee House in London that SteveL, Bikerdude and myself meet up in every now and again to get drunk, talk about TDM and whatever random thoughts may happen to wander our way.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

• 2 weeks later...

rutterdelplate11fac66whole.jpgrutterdelplate12fac70whole.jpg

rutterdelplate4fac24whole.jpg

Rutter's Delineations of Foothill and its Abbey, 1823. Haven't read it, just looked at the pictures, but these high-res engravings are pretty amazing. If you wanna have a crack at making this go ahead, the damn book has floor plans and cross sections of the place and everything. :D

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!