The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

I mean, really. That's a beholder if there ever was one.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yes a Beholder. To serve as some sort of Mythical Security Camera or mechanical:

steampunk_beholder_sculpture_by_catherin

Eye:

eye_of_the_beholder_by_artofwarstudios-d

Another interesting concept would be having some sort of Knight/Golem/Statue that activates with an eye camera in the wall. If the eye camera catches you the statue starts moving. The knight could have a gem or stone or something on it's back to deactivate. As well as the camera by hitting the eye or something.

ID_no_17741.JPG

Edited by Taquito

j0uHdbc.png

My favourite atmospheric detail in this shot: now and again you can hear the sailors in the pub laughing loudly at some joke or something, carrying through the air.

If I make a city mission it will definitely be like this.

5qUZQIL.png

Another shot of Nostria.

fzIcwyP.png

And to think that there's this level of incredible detail in literally every single scene over the entire length of this two-part series, Chains of Satinav and Memoria. I'm still stunned.

DZkUGvX.png

This one for its visual excellence.

So far, I have only played Satinav's Chains (in German, as the developers are German), and have to finally find time for Memoria. Satinav's Chains was a very good game! Not too difficult (especially if you are experienced with Point and Click adventures), but just as you said, very detailed and beautiful to look at.

I very much agree about Satinav's Chains, and Memoria is widely regarded as being a step up on its predecessor. I'd like to replay them, this time in German to hear the other voice acting, once I'm sure to have forgotten the solutions.

Wow some awesome stuff there. Love the beholder. Would love to see some armour statues in the game

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

That beholder would scare the sh** out of me! I like it! :D

One of the few monsters that legit haunted me from D&D.

kbvh9k.jpg

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

They would be a good replacement for the globe monsters in Doom 3

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

My favourite atmospheric detail in this shot: now and again you can hear the sailors in the pub laughing loudly at some joke or something, carrying through the air.

If I make a city mission it will definitely be like this.

Those pieces of artwork are very inspiring, love the look and feel of them.

Also please make a city mission like that! With your level of detail, it would look incredible and be unique as I don't think there are too many (or any) TDM down by the docks city missions, at least not like in that shot.

It sort of reminds me of laketown from the hobbit trilogy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkPRX_eiKv8

I was really inspired walking through some of the old temples in Bagan Burma by the way light was let in. There'd be these long dark and winding hallways with sand floors, and at one end a single shaft of sunlight could hit a wall and bring the whole scene to life. I loved walking through them with an eye towards game & lighting design.

Edit. Adding some photos.

4hcqqq.jpg

ehx99u.jpg

2d8gav8.jpg

maxavk.jpg

2vabhmt.jpg

33xvamv.jpg

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Those pieces of artwork are very inspiring, love the look and feel of them.

Also please make a city mission like that! With your level of detail, it would look incredible and be unique as I don't think there are too many (or any) TDM down by the docks city missions, at least not like in that shot.

It sort of reminds me of laketown from the hobbit trilogy

Thank you, both for your comment and your inspiration link of Laketown - that's literally a treasure trove of inspiration and incredibly useful. In particular as I did actually act on my own inspiration here and make something of a harbour settlement to go with the lighthouse keeper's home I had posted in the 'so what are you working on' thread. If it becomes large enough it'll be called Bradysville.

The pics above show that you don't really need that much object placing or architecture to make a room or corridor pop up. With some good light concepts you can really elevate the Art Direction and make a simple room stand out and compensate for everything else.

Very much agreed, lights and shadows are just as much a form of decoration as architecture or objects, and they easily do the most for the visuals.

Edited by Dragofer

Very much agreed, lights and shadows are just as much a form of decoration as architecture or objects, and they easily do the most for the visuals.

LOL. I was thinking about you when I made this comment. You dominate all elements of Art Direction. While I was playing your latest mission I was thinking of the amount of work that must have been. The final result was outstanding and don't get me wrong, keep doing what you do. I was trying to say that if someone is not the best in Architecture or Object placement, a lot things can be done with lighting so you can exploit this to the maximum and sort of compensate for other stuff. I think the higher the elements of lighting, fog and shadow effect aesthetic, the best for this type of game in particular. So you're probably the last person who needs this advise! :laugh:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-gramophones-helped-fight-crime-in-1940s-britain

If you tried to rob a bank in England in the 1940s, your efforts may have been thwarted by a gramophone. Or, more precisely, a gramophone burglar alarm.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying