The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

I thought it was (also) an allusion to garrote, a wire used to strangle someone quietly, and suspect a garrote might have come up in discussions about weapon selection. But attic fits the aesthetic as well. That is to say, the name brings up those kinds of associations, which fits the image they were going for.

That's also an option. Especially considering that garrote also exists in the german language and is written exactly the same (except for it starting with a capital letter as it is a noun) it is odd that I never made that association. Well, I guess in the end Garrett was just an english name for me. :) At least I doubt my parents named me Martin because they want me to become a warrior :P

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

This guy did a huge amout of work to recreate everything in UE4, it's not modding tools or anything. It's like making TDM base mod from scratch, along with models for your example level. In less than four months. Amazing what discipline and a lot of knowledge can do.

Edited by Judith

This guy did a huge amout of work to recreate everything in UE4, it's not modding tools or anything. It's like making TDM base mod from scratch, along with models for your example level. In less than four months. Amazing what discipline and a lot of knowledge can do.

That definitely counts as evidence for the existence of god or other superhuman beeings.

Or just the existence of people with nothing better to do ;)

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

When I was playing Dishonored, probably my first thought was "Wow I would love to build with these assets!"

The world had such a great aesthetic.

I couldn't find it immediately on his blog. Are there plans for these assets to be released in a usable form?

It'd be cool to build a Dishonored fan level. It'd be even cooler, for me at least, to bring these assets to Darkmod and build a level with them with our gameplay. I'm more partisan towards our minimalist interface & paced gameplay, and I think storytelling works better in our platform. That said, I'd definitely play DH fan missions and might take a shot at making one too!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Don't think these will be released, that would be a copyright infringement. But we can do a similar thing ourselves, let's just choose the map, murder everyone, and take screenshots of everything that would be modeled ;)

Edited by Judith

If he made the assets himself from scratch then he can control the license. It'd only be a copyright issue if he modeled them literally from the originals, but not if he just made his own "inspired by" DH assets. If I were doing it, I'd think it would be mad to make the game so exact a copy that it could never be released for other people to use -- what a waste of so much time and energy for such a flimsy payoff! If a fan is doing something not for profit, just for their love of the thing, making something that can go into the public domain for everyone's benefit is the great silver lining that really makes it valuable... Why throw that opportunity away? Anyway, I'd just do an inspired-by version that could be public domain. Come to think of it, that's exactly what TDM is.

Nice idea about having our own model blitz, although I (and other people) have been proposing that idea since the original release...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Game EULAs usually have a clause that you're not allowed to create or distribute copies or derivative works. Even though he didn't use original models or textures as a base, he "eyballed" them to make more or less of a replica. At least that's my guess.

Still, I never considered copying assets 1:1 as something interesting. A good excercise, maybe, but for a modeler it's better either to use real-world objects or to design something on your own. Objects from other games are already stylised or simplified, so you're already looking through sb else's lens.

That said, some Cuba/Havana inspired setting might be nice, TDM Thief taking a trip to exotic town of... Kaduca (*badum-tss*) or something ;)

This is the guy's Uni exam, so neither the "superhuman speed" (he's basically been doing this full-time, not an hour a day after work) nor the "complete devotion to a passion project" really apply (but not mutually exclusive either). Just giving some context, it's obviously impressive in its own right.

I doubt he's going to be releasing the stuff into public domain, but I don't think he'd get in legal trouble if he did. Dishonored is Bethesda-published, and afaik so far they only cracked down on copying the actual assets from one game to another, not ones recreated from scratch (though a thing to keep in mind is that usually this happened within the same franchise: between Elder Scrolls installments or the new Fallouts; it didn't create "competition" to their product).

• Like 2

Golden Temple, Amritsar, India 4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m701WKQMeYQ

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

== Punishments ==
You dont want to be a thief or a counterfeit coiner in the 15th century in Deventer.
if you get caught, people push your head in a copper kettle containing boiling oil.
And the copper kettle will be dangling at the side of the weigh house, for centuries.
(and shot at by spanisch millitary men, for target practice)
Other punishments were beheading, hanging, crushing our all your bones on a breaking wheel.
The holes for the Scaffold are still located at front of the old city court house/jail.

post-13309-0-29984700-1527798673_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk
  • Like 3

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Orks are thus genetically engineered to be muscular, aggressive, and none too bright; their technology is maintained by a caste of Oddboyz who possess genetically-implanted dispositions and technical knowledge that grant them unusual skill with maintaining and developing technology. However, this skill is an unconscious one preserved through genetic memories hard-wired into the Oddboyz's DNA by the Brain Boyz millions of standard years ago. Indeed, the Brain Boyz were apparently able to encode information on how to build simple machinery into the genomes of all Orks; thus Mekboyz require very little training in their function within Ork "kultur," since they understand mechanical principles at a fully instinctive level.

Orks lack individual psychic power, being denied such abilities by the Old Ones. However, they do have a sort of collaborative, collective psychic ability, meaning that if enough Orks believe something is true, then it will actually become so, brought into power by their gestalt psychic ability. For example, Ork rockets painted yellow create bigger explosions, simply because the vast majority of Orks believe they do. This is also why much of the Orks' seemingly ramshackle technology will do terrible damage in the hands of Orks, but will cease to function when used by other races.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Orks

This is an interesting approach at cultural differences - mechanical insight on unconscious level from one side, thus hard to mimic as well as to teach. From the other side, collective magic - something will work only in hands of true believers, and in gathering.

S2wtMNl.gif

What is the architectural purpose of those arches? Are they just there to keep the walls from leaning in?