The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

I happened upon this picture;

But there is a lot detail, if you look closely you will find many nice little things.

<picture>

That is "Mont Saint Michel" in France.

You can build portions if it, Bikerdude.

And you can it view 360 pictures of some locations at the island in google streetview.

See: mont saint michel on google maps.(also the 3d version looks nice)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous, and one amazing building at 6:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUHwIuGE8g

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 3 weeks later...

It would be nice to see/hear,

the effects and ambience from D3-mod Phobos in TDM Missions.

Videos in the spoiler

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Found a video of a remake of one of the levels of unreal 1.

To me, one of the best 3d realistic enviroments i have seen:

Wow, the only thing that gave it away were the trees growing underwater in 0:33

Oh, THAT video :D

Yeah, that's like from 2 years ago. It looks nice even now, but that's kind of irrelevant to realtime environments, as this is the quality of offline (static) renderer which is always years ahead.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1

Wow that's so cool. I'd love some of those abilities, especially the way the pillars were made. So quick.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been posted before, but these book covers are absolutely wonderful: https://publicdomainreview.org/collections/the-art-of-book-covers-1820-1914/

The era is a little later than the usual setting (around the end of the nineteenth century, mostly) but there are some great ones regardless. My fave:

40107505073_35c9e749b9_o.jpg

Moses Wolcott Redding. Standard Ahiman Rezon and Blue Lodge Guide. New York : Redding & Co., 1889

Edited by crabmusket
  • Like 2

It looks like Unity will get a BSP toolset that's even more versatile than DR's:

Some people already find the brush tools of DR complicated imagine DR having all those capabilities. :P

But would be awesome.

Guys in the case of mesh's that Unity plugin, is not different from using, for example, Blender or Modo, etc, in idtech 4 you can update the model has the game world is running and you can see the modifications to any mesh in almost real time. So if you want better looking models in your mission, you can always learn Blender... ;)

Edited by HMart

Yeah, but that's kind of the point: I wouldn't need anything like that, since I've been using 3dsmax like since forever. But for someone who never touched any modeling software, it would be a better incentive to learn that when it's a part of DR rather than external tool, especially Blender.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but these book covers are absolutely wonderful: https://publicdomainreview.org/collections/the-art-of-book-covers-1820-1914/

The era is a little later than the usual setting (around the end of the nineteenth century, mostly) but there are some great ones regardless. My fave:

40107505073_35c9e749b9_o.jpg

Moses Wolcott Redding. Standard Ahiman Rezon and Blue Lodge Guide. New York : Redding & Co., 1889

These book covers are beautiful!

I tried importing one of them as a skin for an existing readable model. Sadly it didn't turn out too well though, I matched the book texture upto the old one but it looks like the inside of the book model uses a middle part of the texture to fill it in.

IbCLHx2.jpg

I built a book out of brushes and then converted to a model which doesn't look too bad imo

oxqssup.jpg

The main difference is the texture on the inside of the model.

Great find though!

• Like 1

I tried importing one of them as a skin for an existing readable model. Sadly it didn't turn out too well though, I matched the book texture upto the old one but it looks like the inside of the book model uses a middle part of the texture to fill it in.

Some of our earlier book models had some wonky uv maps. I made a new one a while back that should be better in that regard. Forget what the name of the model is atm though.

• 2 weeks later...

I would make the tube of liquid pretty fat to be more medieval looking, like alchemical glassware.

For that matter, it'd be fun to have a whole set of alchemical tools in the same style, with brass croppings, and a thermometer could be one of them.

Then I could make an FM with alchemy.

If any of you recall, my T2 area in the Chain Project had an alchemist's room you could visit and turn any lead you found into gold.

For that matter, Soren (the bad scientist) in my TDM FM is pretty alchemist-y, with all of his knickknacks on his shelves.

I love that kind of mad lab stuff, with the mystical edge of alchemy or astrology or tarot... I love magic science and would love more objects for it.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

that 2nd image also has a barometer at the bottom under the thermometer, mercury has been found in egyptian tombs dating from 1500bc, so you could have medieval thermometers, although I have a alcohol based thermometer for mesuring very low tempertures, alcohol has been around a long time so you can have both.