The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

Looks really awesome and very athmospheric. What's the name of this FM?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Textures are important, but particularly in that alleyway shot, you see an enormous attention to environmental detail. You've got ivy, vegetation, a transition between dark grass and cobble, different planes of elevation, what seem to be rotting/half-buried barrels, and some neat irregular angles. Together, that creates a very organic look. Very impressive.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I've been staring those interior shots. Like a painting!

The geometry is simple, and there are only a few objects in the scene. Not much detail.

Yet it looks like it was real. Like someone lived there. Like there was generations of history of people living between those walls. I cannot wrap my head around what causes this.

In TDM the textures are very 'crisp.' I know that if you built the same scene in TDM it would look somehow sterile. The griminess of the textures and the gentle soft blotches of shadows does a lot.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Textures in Darkmod don't make a coherent set. They have different styles, quality and colour palettes. They are often too saturated. If you wanted to make something like this in Darkmod you would have to at least fiddle with hue and saturation of textures and sometimes make your own.

It's only a model...

The textures are pretty good in those screen shots but I think the real difference is in playing it, not just taking a screenshot. TDM may not look as good in a screen shot but, for me at least, the flickering shadows and lighting when you're in-game are leaps and bounds over anything T2 can pull off. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then real time lighting is worth 10 thousand.

In TDM the textures are very 'crisp.' I know that if you built the same scene in TDM it would look somehow sterile. The griminess of the textures and the gentle soft blotches of shadows does a lot.

The T2 shot is extremely limited in its colour palette...it's almost monocrhomatic, which gives it a strong sense of unity. Everything is soft and blurry as well, which lets your imagination fill in many of the gaps.

You can't do that in T2 either.

Although you can play TDM in Rotoscope mode (g_rotoscope 1), which is often neat.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I know there is a material property that can make a texture monochrome but I don't recall a switch for the whole renderer.

There have been Doom 3 mods with monochrome only but I think they used custom lights and textures...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Does TDM have an arg so you can play a mission in sepia or black and white like you can do in T2..?

You can change that in your video driver settings.

That last screenshot is from a game called Severance, amazing combat system on that one, beautiful maps (though not really that detailed, more on the scale of a Tomb Raider kind of exploration map), dynamic lights... Groundbreaking game.

6673-severance-blade-of-darkness-8_640.jpg

It itches my fingers, too. :)

If you do, it would be useful to modularize those into pieces,from which people could construct any kind of houses.

Here is how I would take it apart:

DMhhM0j.jpg

See? All you gotta do is modules A, B, C, D, E and F. That is 6 modules. Then you could build this house or similar house of almost any shape simply by mixing and matching lego-like module pieces.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

What we could use is some wall and roof models like that to piece together to make houses like that.

Edit: haha, brilliantly ninja'd. =D

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Maybe those buildings were even build that way. Once I've finished my current WIP I may take a look.