The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

BTW, how do mappers do, practically when working on maps with others. Do you set an interval of time when one person can work and then send the most recent map so the other can work, or do you work on completely separate sections of the mission so you don't "collide" with the same rooms?

Biker has to be the expert in that field, having collaborated with so many authors.

My own suggestion is to use layers. "I'll work on this layer, and you work on that layer." Set your project up in the SVN repo for map-making, and you and your co-author can use SVN for checking your work in and out. Sync things up from time to time, show each other what you've been doing.

Sharing a map by locking it for a while slows things down, IMHO, because the other author must sit idle, which increases the threat of them losing interest or momentum. If someone needs to do an overall cleanup or detailing pass on everything, then by all means lock the map, but don't keep it for too long.

• My own suggestion is to use layers. "I'll work on this layer, and you work on that layer." Set your project up in the SVN repo for map-making, and you and your co-author can use SVN for checking your work in and out. Sync things up from time to time, show each other what you've been doing.
  • Sharing a map by locking it for a while slows things down, IMHO, because the other author must sit idle, which increases the threat of them losing interest or momentum. If someone needs to do an overall cleanup or detailing pass on everything, then by all means lock the map, but don't keep it for too long.

• this method is the most time effecient method and in the instance of Gman helping me with the map Im working on it worked very well because the map is city based and because I am very tidy with my layers. There is no reason if the lead mapper requests help and then creates a layer and either assign's it to someone or as was the case with Gman, that someone picks which layer they want to help with and/or work on.
  • This is what we have been doing with the campaign due to its sheer size and complexity, but moving forward if we get enough people helping with the campaign the layer-per-mapper-method is a far better approach. But in contrast Baal and I are using the previous method, where we give each other time scales and then hand the map back inside that time.

There are different kinds of collaboration styles and both of those could work. It's a tradeoff between efficiency & speed vs. risk of incompatibility. Another style that's in the middle is one core building and the other finishing-up.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Modular collaboration would be simple.

1) mappers agree on grid size. (All modules must fit in 128x128 square.

2) mappers agree on the location in question, identify which modules are needed (wall, wall+window, wall+doorway, wall+niche usually gets you far.)

3) mappers build required modules.

4) after that it is pretty simple. Mash the modules in, apply sealing geometry, dig doorways.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I've had an idea in mind for a long time, and that mansion style fits it beautifully. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I may take a try on those lanterns. Where do you have those shots from?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Gah, the images killed my browser... Small preview images would have been nice.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

A little try. The textures are not optimal and the lamp became a bit big, but overall I'm quite happy with the result. :)

They are linked from Darkfate.

There should be a general practice to put multiple images inside spoiler tags.

That makes it easier for some connections to at least load up the whole page, then we can open up the images.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

@Obsttorte, aside from the textures, the bottom looks good and maybe add some more of your flavor to the top cap area? It looks bare comparatively. The original has some 'horns' coming off each angle which gives the top some flair. It doesn't have to be anything complicated like I've poorly illustrated. These are just some ideas.

egxSy8a.jpg

A little try. The textures are not optimal and the lamp became a bit big, but overall I'm quite happy with the result. :)

Me likes :wub: The metal parts look a bit too greenish for my taste, and also the texture scale might be smaller (so it doesn't look that blotchy). But good start :)

(But then, do we want to copy Eidos?)

Edited by Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

There should be a general practice to put multiple images inside spoiler tags.

From a posters point of view this is very combersume -

1. one I have put post into HTML mode, and remember which html tags I need to use for images
  2. then I have to put the editor back into normal mode, because when I try to post with html I get an error.
  3. then post.
  4. and if I want to edit the post, the code is then all f***ed up, so I have to go through steps 1-3 all over again.

@Tels, one of few things they did right in T4 was the artwork and level design.

From a posters point of view this is very combersume -

1. one I have put post into HTML mode, and remember which html tags I need to use for images
  2. then I have to put the editor back into normal mode, because when I try to post with html I get an error.
  3. then post.
  4. and if I want to edit the post, the code is then all f***ed up, so I have to go through steps 1-3 all over again.

Not sure why this is so complicated for you, I just write [ spoiler ] manually and insert my stuff in between and post. I don't even know in which mode the editor is or how to swich it :ph34r:

@Tels, one of few things they did right in T4 was the artwork and level design.

It was more a "legal and on principle" thing. <_<

As said those were just a small try. It only took me ten to fifteen minutes, so I may redo them. DR actually provides a good base to model things. Letting skilled modellers model something in advanced tools should be restricted to more complicated stuff imho (like ai), especially as said people only have a very low amount of time.

I think Springheel may want to invest his time in something more worthwhile then a lantern ;) (but maybe I'm wrong)

Btw.: Do you really think we need explosive barrels :)

Found this interesting clip explaining how old manuscripts where/are made.

http://youtu.be/1aDHJu9J10o

Edited by Paralytik

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Explosive barrels strike me as rather "gamey", but there could be places where they make sense.

Found this interesting clip explaining how old manuscripts where/are made.

http://youtu.be/1aDHJu9J10o

Almost unbelievable how much work went into only one of such manuscripts. A printer is really a nice thing :D

The printing press was truly the beginning of the modern era.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Almost unbelievable how much work went into only one of such manuscripts. A printer is really a nice thing :D

I don't know, according to the video, it only took 6 minutes and 15 seconds. Doesn't strike me as that complicated :P

But a nice find. Quite a few things could be made as objects, the drying frame, the quills, the powders in bowls, the pergament and animal skins. I've been on a Medival Fair last weekend,and there are always so many different type of interesting things made from wood, metal and animal parts. :wub: