The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

The elevator in Thief does not look very impressive, it's just one big ugly thing. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Sadly, my post isn't accompanied by an inspirational image.

I am planning to build an elevator for my WIP. I was searching for images of Victorian elevators and never really found anything suitable. As it turns out, I discovered that the much-maligned 2014 Thief game has an elevator in Chapter 6. From the playthrough videos that I've seen, it looks very impressive and is something that I would like to build in DR (or at least...attempt).

The main obstacle is that I don't own a copy of Thief (2014) so I cannot examine the architecture from the various angles needed to gain an understanding of its construction, and online videos are focused on getting through the area, rather than admiring the scenery.

Would it be possible if someone - with a copy (obviously :P) - could kindly take some screenshots for me?

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/1219938.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8435/7806955120_0ffc6a794e_z.jpg

http://tribecacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/elevator1-cabin.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3095/2447420540_274f902b72.jpg

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/234202/125418323/stock-photo-old-elevator-floor-indicator-125418323.jpg

If you google old elevator or something like that you should have more than enough pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevatormore background

Some inspiring old school, synthesized speech.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Some of you are probably familiar with these BBC living history documentary series, but to those who aren't, I recommend giving them at least a single watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5IMeODLND8

Secrets of the Castle (playlist of episodes)

Learning about 13th century castle construction and maintenance via the long-running Guédelon Castle project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ERDYjsHBg

Tudor Monastery Farm (playlist of episodes)

Farming in early Tudor England, at the start of the 1510s.

A Tudor Feast at Christmas (playlist of episodes)

How the nobility and better-offs of Tudor England prepared and enjoyed their Christmas time feasts.

Tales from the Green Valley (playlist of episodes)

Life at a restored sheep farm in the Welsh borderlands in 1620, during the reign of James I.

Victorian Farm

Life at a Shropshire farm in the 1880s and 1890s. Now firmly in the industrial era, but still prior to the advent of mass motorisation.

Victorian Pharmacy

Barmy as well as reasonable medical treatments from the second half of the 19th century. Even pharmacies had their childhood hiccups before they became increasingly professional institutions.

Edwardian Farm

Life in early 20th century Devon, in the Tamar river valley. Farming, fishing, crafts, industry, mining, the rise of motorised transport, even tourism and seaside holidays...

You can find plenty of inspirational stuff in them when it comes to portraying crafts, agriculture, industries, transport and even festive culture of the past. I think the pharmacy episodes might be a good bit of inspiration if you want to portray some early modern apothecaries in certain city-based FMs. The individual series have, inadvertently, covered the diapason of periods that served as sources of inspiration for Thief and TDM. So you owe it to yourself to try these out. I think they're really informative, plus the historians hosting each series have a good sense of humour to go with their professionalism.

Note that I've sorted the shows by period, not by their actual production year.

P.S. I don't condone unofficially uploading stuff to YouTube, but when it comes to these sorts of docus, I'm willing to turn a blind eye and thank those who've put them up. ;)

Wowzers! :wub:

I was certain that was Garrett until I saw the skulls.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle  *  A Reputation to Uphold  *  A New Job  *  A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules  *  Speedbuild Challenge  *  New Mappers Workshop  *  Building Traps

I like the doors but they're too modern for my taste in map design.

The cog at the bottom though... very clever. I'll definitely find a use for that in some mechanism next time I have a messing-with-DR day :)

You should look up some more mechanics and cogs designs, there are loads of insanely smart examples like that. :)

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Terrible mapping practices, vol. XLIII.: Building an amazing, complicated scene, then slapping down a low-poly building facade object right next to it in an illogical place. Shameful and lazy!

tumblr_nbc39qrak61rqx86wo1_1280.png

• Haha 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Terrible mapping practices, vol. XLIII.: Building an amazing, complicated scene, then slapping down a low-poly building facade object right next to it in an illogical place. Shameful and lazy!

Haha, I know you didn't mean that to deceive, but I fell for it anyway :). I glanced at the buildings, though "yep, Melan's right, I wonder what game that is?" but I was much more interested in the water shader. It wasn't till I'd zoomed in that the penny dropped.

I expect you did get it, you just failed to believe how gullible I can be :) To be clear, Melan's ironic joke was to post a real-life photo as an example of bad mapping, because if we saw that in a map we'd all call it shoddy work. But I failed to notice that it was a real photo until after I'd made a close inspection of the awesome water texture.

The reason I got it so fast was that I already have the same photo in my "medieval architecture" fodder folder. :D

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

One day, I will really have to take a picture of the house in my neighbourhood that looks like someone's failed Dromed project.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

One day, I will really have to take a picture of the house in my neighbourhood that looks like someone's failed Dromed project.

You must. It has been mentioned here in the past and I've been waiting for that for years now. Maybe one day... ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I wanted to take a picture today, but apparently, my camera is dead (at least it doesn't react to a charged battery). I am asking for just a bit more of your patience until I buy a new one. ;)