The Dark Mod Forums

We have become Big Brother

Fidcal

Or do what I did, rip the ebooks right out of the kindle app.

How? I downloaded FBReader (very good btw) but it can't read Amazon Kindle-protected books, at least, not anyway I can see. I'd love to be able to actually own the books I've paid for and not be dependent on Amazon's permission. :(

I've takn screenshots of a book before & made a pdf out of it I wanted to free it so much ... if that gives you any ideas.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah, at least then one would have a backup. I've also considered writing software to send keypresses to the Kindle to copy and paste the paragraphs, stripping out the surplus crap as it does so - but too many other things to do.

One other idea is that I think the Kindle can only update/breakdown whatever when it accesses the net so in theory one could have a spare PC or Windows boot with a Kindle on each then if something fails on the main PC, it should still work on the other. One can go crazy thinking up ways to have what should be ours by right. There should be a law forcing Amazon to honour and guarantee the books we have bought are forever readable with what we have, without updating.

I doubt that last thing would work. The device would just say "It has been 60 days since you checked in with HQ. You must check in, or else your books will become locked. I've read people saying this about Steam. I.e. if you use offline mode, it will require a check-in eventually.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Thanks Biker. I've been doing some googling myself today and thought it took some time, I've finally downloaded something that is similar - though I was tired of the whole search to set it up yet. I'll try later or tomorrow.

The Apprentice Alf was the one I found first but the file service uses a custom downloader exe and I avoid those on principle. My web browser is a perfectly good downloader!

Thanks Biker. I got it working fine. Oddly, I think I might buy more books now they can be exorcised!

One remaining nut to crack is that some books I have like Lord of the Rings, Queen of the Tearling, A Game of Thrones, have detailed maps on the pages which are too small to study properly even at max screen size. I might look at converting to another format than mobi to see if I can do better. Maybe pdf, though I hate pdf itself, possibly I can zoom in at least just to copy paste a map separately on my second monitor while reading the book. That's a job for another day though.

• 2 weeks later...

It turns out Apple's spotlight sends your searches to Apple by default too....

Look, everybody is doing it now. Windows 8 does it, Ubuntu does it, and now the Mac alegedly does it too. Are they all being paid by three-letter agencies to gather more info about us?

Edited by lost_soul

Another link. Perhaps nothing new in this one. What worries me is not the info in it but the matter-of-fact way it's provided and that we know nothing will be done about it. Bit like reading there's a nuke planted in London (yawn) and now in more interesting news...

http://www.bbc.com/f...s-youre-tracked

This is well-meaning but indicates a new way we can gather info on each other - and presumably let it be hoovered up into the cloud where it can be collected, managed, processed, added to other databases...

http://www.telegraph...e-suicidal.html

Will we see other apps that analyse what the people around us are doing. Definitely.

I must be a hermit or paranoid, as I avoid almost all of the tracking methods mentioned in this thread.

Case in point, my Galaxy S4 runs a modified version of android, and I have forceably removed all of the google BS(calender / contacts sync, all apps bar youtube to name a few), just leaving the bare essentials for google play to run. And on top of that I run XPosed frame work and the paid version of XPrivacy to completely lock down what both user & system apps have access to and lastly a firewall to catch anything else. Even apps that says they need no special perms are asking for the serial and phone number of the device, cheeky f*ckers.

- http://forum.xda-dev...cy-app-t2320783

In addition to the above, I run 2 add blocking apps - one for the OS (Adaway, catches most ads) and one for youtube (youtube adaway)

We have some good news. The new version of Unity in Ubuntu will not send your searches to Amazon by default. If you want that "feature", you have to actually enable it manually. I am just sitting here imagining some people at the NSA sitting there saying

"God damn it! Shit on a stick! Every other modern OS, like Windows 8.1 and Mac os sends the user searches to the cloud by default. We love that feature, because we can capture every single bit of information the user searches for, even when the user believes he is searching the local machine!"

Edited by lost_soul

• 2 weeks later...

I see this suicide monitor app has now been withdrawn...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-29962199

Still, the idea of apps monitoring everything we say on-line is there, and is potentially more invasive than advert-tracking. It makes the title of this thread even more relevant. Of course, once Google and the like form a global personal-data sharing ring (if they haven't already) then it will all be the same thing anyway.

"One personal-data sharing ring to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them." :(

Here's an interesting article on how casual people are with their personal data while at the same time not trusting on-line services...

http://www.theguardi...into-hypocrites

I'm not concerned about my privacy. If you look at Russia and China you can clearly see where real problems with internet freedom and confidentiality occur. And it gets worse every year. But as a rule nobody cares.

Saddens me immensely.

It's part of another informational war, so you should look closely what kind of characters get involved and who owns the news channel/newspaper/site/blog.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 4 weeks later...

Mildly interesting essay on why there is not much public outcry:

http://www.theguardi...n-sloppy-habits

Thought experiment of my own: Would the following be acceptable?:

[EDIT] IGNORE the following but see the more abstract question posed later.

Fast forward a few years to greatly improved (but still unconscious) intelligent software operating in sealed boxes that are regularly inspected for tampering. Internet fed in but no controls from outside. The hidden system blindly monitors and analyses emails and on-line activity for suspicious activity. It only reports to the security services when it evaluates > 90% suspicion. No conscious person has access to any information about any citizen unless that happens. No demographic information is released except possibly the blandest global statistics?

It will stay isolated to being audited by machines, until a guy with the clearance to perform maintenance on said machine feels like digging out some dirt on an enemy, or investigating his love interest. Either this will happen, because human beings are corrupt by nature, or hackers will find a way to compromise the entire thing some day. Then everybody's life will become public.

Mildly interesting essay on why there is not much public outcry:

http://www.theguardi...n-sloppy-habits

Thought experiment of my own: Would the following be acceptable?:

Fast forward a few years to greatly improved (but still unconscious) intelligent software operating in sealed boxes that are regularly inspected for tampering. Internet fed in but no controls from outside. The hidden system blindly monitors and analyses emails and on-line activity for suspicious activity. It only reports to the security services when it evaluates > 90% suspicion. No conscious person has access to any information about any citizen unless that happens. No demographic information is released except possibly the blandest global statistics?

Yes, for the foreseeable future - which is why it's a thought experiment. The question is, if it were possible, would it be acceptable?

Something like the ones the UK government tried to set up in 2012 & 2013 ?

..and are presumably still trying to set up they're just lacking a manufactured 'emergency' to let them ram the legislation through without opposition

No it wouldn't be acceptable