The Dark Mod Forums

We have become Big Brother

Fidcal

The Guardian newspaper on line this morning...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jun/01/uk-homes-vulnerable-to-staggering-level-of-corporate-surveillance

What 'staggers' me is not so much surveillance but the situation is made out to be a big secret uncovered when in fact companies openly declare and brag that that they are using surveillance. That's what is openly happening and perfectly legal and accepted by stupid governments. Why suddenly talk as though they've 'uncovered' a big secret? How far does all this have to go before the explosion?

How far does all this have to go before the explosion?

The UK decided to opt out of EU altogether - but for the remaining states of the EU there is the new and shiny GDPR, wich made a lot of the common surveilance/telemetry/tracking shit illegal to use (well, for corporations at least). Maybe, other, somehow united, states may follow the example and enact similar laws...

• Like 1

Ah... I meant the BIG explosion. The one where the personal details of several billion people is published with addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, bank details, credit card details and what colour you painted your back fence. The info being gathered and traded is worth big bucks. The smart, self-improving software that analyses it is comparing and matching profile patterns. Skynet will decide our fate in a microsecond.

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you.

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
I'll be watching you.

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you. :o

Well, the only way is Telegram that allows self-destructing messages or Darknet.

Hopefully Apple is on the side of the light on the hardest battlefields against KGB and GRU agents.

https://www.rferl.org/a/apple-no-longer-complying-russian-ban-telegram-messaging-app-durov-says-update-app-store-iphone/29266998.html

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Hopefully Apple is on the side of the light on the hardest battlefields against KGB and GRU agents.

Wich of the two is involved in the drone strikes wich still kill real people every week in Afghanistan?

The real hard battlefields are not in Russia and China. They are in our own countries and governments.

We need to have freedom and democracy at home before it would make any sense to think about exporting the concepts to Russia and China.

Wich of the two is involved in the drone strikes wich still kill real people every week in Afghanistan?

The real hard battlefields are not in Russia and China. They are in our own countries and governments.

We need to have freedom and democracy at home before it would make any sense to think about exporting the concepts to Russia and China.

It's impossible not to have casualties in an Asian country where police smokes opium every day. Where Pakistan supports Taliban for decades.

Corporations should indeed face pressure for their advocating of the devil at home, but there really are no legal remedies at home to blame them. They just adapt to how better to get the cash flowing. Whether a customized and censored Google for China or otherwise. How low do you think dictatorships have to fall to subdue to inevitable change and respect rules? The farther we go, the more dangerous they get.

By the same line of thought North Korea should be left alone. But that will never happen because they're a danger to themselves and the world. It is equally important to have freedom and democracy everywhere. Because the only states 100% sovereign and nationalist as populists trump out is North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, Syria, Iran - all of them of course supplied with weapons and money by the former USSR.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...

So many websites now shove up a big page-covering popup insisting we need to allow cookies for the website to work properly or at its best (but which I can often circumvent in Opera 12 by disabling positioning, at which point I find the website works fine. But https://www.bbc.co.uk/news has a simple non-popup header at the top which scrolls away when you scroll down so its not intrusive. However, it does say: We use Cookies - Yes, I agreed (ticked without my consent.) And I find they have set 6 cookies, some bbc domains, plus edigitalsurvey.com and scorecardresearch.com

I have cookies set session only so they're automatically deleted when I close the browser but as a test I set cookies to 'never' and deleted all those cookies then returned to the bbc website. No complaint from them that I've disabled cookies. No popup. Same header saying I agree. I checked cookies and as expected, no new cookies from them. Just seems odd that different website work different ways. Not sure any of them know what they're doing.

It seems to me the ideal would be like the bbc but the opposite way round, it saying by default: Cookies: NO then a link to read clear info (no deceit) about any advantages, with an option to set them ON. That would seem sensible, non-intrusive, and fair to me but I doubt if any website will do what is sensible, non-intrusive, and fair. Not seen any yet.

No motivation to make changes if there is no punishment available.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...

badge?user=andarson

I guess the UK will appeal (if they can) but still, it's a step in the right direction. If I understand it aright, it's the methods used. Few would object to security forces with good grounds for suspicion of a terrorist to be able to apply to a magistrate to be allowed surveillance, but to have complete freedom to watch everyone all the time...

• Like 1

Yeah, the same decision in the form of an article. There were more NGO's going for it I think.

I guess the UK will appeal (if they can) but still, it's a step in the right direction. If I understand it aright, it's the methods used. Few would object to security forces with good grounds for suspicion of a terrorist to be able to apply to a magistrate to be allowed surveillance, but to have complete freedom to watch everyone all the time...

They can, and the UK has some history of conflict with the ECHR on cases it deems political such as the 1978 Ireland v. UK trial on "The Troubles" with practices of inhuman and degrading punishment against IRA members. The thing is to remedy the situation for the applicants and also (the hardest part) to prevent this practice from occurring again. And I find that depressingly certain to be unlikely to get a definitive solution if England goes for hard Brexit because a lot of the necessary prerequisite instruments already exist within the EU and the Copenhagen criteria.

I suppose there's just going to be more political hard talk like PM Cameron had after the 2011 riots.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

• 3 months later...

It is well known that Big Brother is not only tracking us, but manipulating us. This practice is becoming ever more refined. I used to joke there must be a university course in hypocrisy for the marketing industry because they are so skilled at it. I was right:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/31/advertising-academia-controlling-thoughts-universities

Smart software will spot your weaknesses, play on them, trick you, so brace yourself against what you read. Stay alert! Think for yourself!

• Like 1

It is well known that Big Brother is not only tracking us, but manipulating us. This practice is becoming ever more refined. I used to joke there must be a university course in hypocrisy for the marketing industry because they are so skilled at it. I was right:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/31/advertising-academia-controlling-thoughts-universities

Smart software will spot your weaknesses, play on them, trick you, so brace yourself against what you read. Stay alert! Think for yourself!

I do not know if there is a conspiracy as they seem to inoculate here but any advertising/manipulation scheme will definitely make use of that thing in the brain that will not let us to be in the capacity to simultaneously multi-task lots of things at the same time in our thoughts (about 3 if I remember right from one study). That much has been going on since forever!

badge?user=andarson

• 2 months later...

It manipulates to make US surveil each other, in perfect "Soft Gestapo" mode.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
19 hours ago, Fidcal said:

Yes, since I used Vivaldi as my main browser (since 6 years), is active against this surveillance systems.

https://vivaldi.com/blog/its-time-to-ban-surveillance-based-advertising/

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

That video is kind of terrifying.

So is this: it really complements my original topic title: WE have become big brother! Now we're really spying on ourselves by volunteering info about ourselves. Of course it's all anonymous (like every piece of a jigsaw is anonymous until you have enough pieces.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61603624

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fidcal said:

That video is kind of terrifying.

So is this: it really complements my original topic title: WE have become big brother! Now we're really spying on ourselves by volunteering info about ourselves. Of course it's all anonymous (like every piece of a jigsaw is anonymous until you have enough pieces.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61603624

Anonymous? Your anonymity ends the moment you enter the internet, even if you do it using VPN and TOR. You can only alleviate and make it difficult for large companies or governments to spy on you, but not completely prevent it.
The technologies used go far beyond trackers and cookies, which everyone already blocks, sophisticated techniques are used that range from Google's famous attempt to introduce FloC, idleAPI and others, apart to read your Gmail, to key and mause logger, used by pages associated with TowerData (f.Exmpl.Microsoft). The reality in the web is very similar to this Video.

Big Brother is already very outdated today and forces the user to use all means and common sense, to keep data leaks to a minimum, for example by using mailservices that are encrypted, such as Tutanota, ProtonMail and others. , use decentralized social networks, like Lemmy, Raddle, Mastodon, Diaspora, etc, use a private browser, like Vivaldi, which doesn't make money selling your data, like even Firefox does (to Alphabet.inc - Google), using anonymous search engines , like Andisearch, PaulGO, Startpage, Qwant, etc., use a VPN and any good extension that blocks ads and trackers, fingerprints, WebRC and CSS leaks, etc., apart from using common sense, keeping your eyes open and not trusting nor of the own shadow on the net.

See

https://browserleaks.com (Shows the data what every website knows of you)

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/url (to check links you don't know)

https://themarkup.org/blacklight (Checking websites)

Very important: Read the TOS and PP of any soft or service, before you create an account or use it

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉