The Dark Mod Forums

Vertical Contest Mission: Somewhere Above the City by Grayman (Aug 20, 2010)

grayman

Somewhere Above the City by Grayman (2010/8/20) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry  

70 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Seeing some minor visual glitches using the latest version

- always lit brick walls in the dark rooms / panels in the clock room

- blinking glass in the clock room

Also, when on the very top the skybox looks like the tower is in the middle of the ocean or in the clouds.

I played the whole mission and didn't see these problems.

Is the 'blinking glass' simply the lightning going off?

And the 'ocean or clouds' effect is because the tower is very high and is above one of the cloud layers.

Can I get a screenshot of the 'always lit brick walls'?

Thanks.

I set r_usefbo to 1 and see no difference.

Here's a screenshot.

post-3633-0-91760100-1498758851_thumb.jpg

In any case, these aren't mission problems, so you should post them in the appropriate thread where the 2.06 work is being done, so someone can address them.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Replayed the mission now and got a hang at the end of the cinematic debriefing. TDM freezes and stops responding after the priest says "let the builder judge the thief at the day of reckoning". I killed the bad priest and that got mentioned in the debriefing.

Pressing esc to skip the debriefing neither works right at the start of the cinematic nor when it already stopped. TDM just hangs and ALT-Tab does not work.

Windows shows the common not responding dialog when CTRL-ALT-Entfing into task manager and switching back to TDM.

Replayed the mission now and got a hang at the end of the cinematic debriefing. TDM freezes and stops responding after the priest says "let the builder judge the thief at the day of reckoning". I killed the bad priest and that got mentioned in the debriefing.

Pressing esc to skip the debriefing neither works right at the start of the cinematic nor when it already stopped. TDM just hangs and ALT-Tab does not work.

Windows shows the common not responding dialog when CTRL-ALT-Entfing into task manager and switching back to TDM.

Try:

r_cinematic_legacyRoq 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I assume you created a tracker issue for the reported problem, so it would be great to post the link here ;)

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4835

there you go :)

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

What an awesome mission! I really enjoyed this one. It had strong Thief 1 and 2 vibes to it with the grimy yet spacious interior of the tower. I finished with a mediocre stealth score (got into a fight with the little spideys at the temple) and nabbed all but about 100 of the loot.

Another thing I liked was that there's more going on in the City than just your mission... the dead watch guy in the temple for instance, and the jerk counting his loot at the start of the mission.

I wish I could map this well. Gives me something to aspire to.

• Like 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 2 months later...

Fun mission with some nice scripted events, lightning effects, and great music. However, I didn't get the ending cinematic and thus can't actually finish the mission. Is the added objective of finding the chest in the mines necessary to finish? I didn't read the note at the start granting the objective until after I'd looted the Builder's relic and walked all the way back to the beginning trying to figure out how to pay the landlord. In fact, I found and looted the chest before gaining the added objective and upon gaining it it was immediately completed (as with reading the note I looted the chest after gaining the Builder's relic). I then climbed all the way back to the lightning rod tower. No cinematic. I wonder if the out-of-order objective completion borked the ending for me.

Sorry to hear this.

Do you have any savegames during the time you're ascending the tower, working your way up to the disassembled clock mechanism? You'll probably have to back up a ways, then go complete the chest objective and proceed up to where you meet the priest, before you do anything to him.

Just so you know, you can choose to KO the priest or kill him. Each choice gives a slightly different cinematic.

Good luck! Thanks for playing.

Nah, no saves beyond the alternating quicksaves. I'm not bummed out about it, I experienced 99% of the mission, just thought I'd bring it up as somebody who missed that note at the start (somehow, even though I looted the coins on the table) if that was even the catalyst, couldn't think of what else it could be after reading others' experiences in this thread. I sapped the priest but that's irrelevant: my not-Garrett is trapped in that tower until he loses his mind and swan dives off the top.

• 2 years later...

What a great mission - from script to execution! The best vertical mission so far for me.

I loved the architecture - from mushrooms to clock tower (!). Also the pace of the mission (corridor-like) fits more cinematic experience compared to other missions... it's like an episode of a good TV series - it starts slowly, flows, builds up and then comes the finale - never a dull moment.

End animations are just perfect!

The only bugs i found:

• could not climb out of the water
  • minor graphics glitch: sometimes the scene bounding box lights so it is visible as a box:)

water.jpg

sky-boundingBox.jpg

Edited by JiriH
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I recommend to edit the darkmod.txt file and change:

Title: Somewhere Above the City 1.1
Description: Retrieve a stolen Builder artifact.
Author: by grayman
Required TDM Version: 1.02

To:

Title: Somewhere Above the City
Description: Retrieve a stolen Builder artifact.
Author: by grayman
Version: 1.1
Required TDM Version: 1.02

Here The subtitles for this fm. Made with help of Whisper. All the subtitles for voices are there and fully tested. 2 conversations:

1. Some drunk thug talking to himself (start of mission).
  2. A Builder guard and a Builder bishop having a conversation (end of mission).

I made changes to 2 srt files (everything is srt, no inline), the rest was already correct.

Edit: subtitles added to mission.

Edited by datiswous
version 2

Pretty nice mission overall. A bit linear maybe. It's also quite clear I think that this is grayman's first mission. Or maybe it's just a very old mission. I thought the end cutscene is especially really nice.

Edited by datiswous