The Dark Mod Forums

POLL: Should contest voting be private or public?

Fidcal

Private or public voting in contests  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should contest voting be private or public?

• YES. voting should be PUBLIC
    • NO. voting should be PRIVATE
    • Don't mind either way.

I vote for public!

Reasons:

Public system avoids misuse and it confers openness and transparency.

It is nice to see who voted what.

And most importantly: public system increases the possibility of giving the justification for the grades given. If I know everyone will see what grade I am giving, I should be able to explain why I'm giving that particular grade.

Personally, I'd prefer if everyone gave the justification for the grades they give. Learning the reasons people liked or did not like a mission would be an excellent opportunity for the mapper to learn. And for other mappers to learn from the mistakes of others.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I'll offer an argument for either side, for the sake of discussion (because I'm not even 100% sure of my own opinion):

Private: (Some) voters will feel more free to vote honestly; freedom from persecution for opinion and all that jazz.

Public: It encourages (some) voters to play nice.

And against:

Private: Allows for personal vendettas/dislike for other reasons to affect mission scoring.

Public: Inflated fluffy scores, if only those with something nice to say, vote.

I think I lean toward it being private, for the sake of honest, accurate scores. That's not to say though that I don't care for people being nice; people should be nice for its own sake, not be forced into it. ^_^

But there's something to be said for being open, too.

What's that, I'm wishy-washy? Yeah no kidding; can never make a damn decision.

Edit: Maybe best would be public but casting a number requires a comment?

Edit: Maybe best would be public but casting a number requires a comment?

This would probably indeed be the best solution. It benefits everyone, basically. Other thing is, that can the comment be enforced on this forum system.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Public 100%. I can imagine, myself even, abusing the voting system if it was private. If you are afraid of what people will say about your vote, don't vote. But that shouldn't be the case since we all interpret fun, style and so on differently.

Crazy idea: Everyone should be able to chose wether his/her vote is public or private.

I'm not sure that "one fits all" is good here.

Both possibilities have their downsides. So there will be no ideal standard voting.

I'm publicly voting that they should be public. (Is 'publicly' a word?)

I'm too damn old to care whether people are nice or vindictive or whatever in public or behind the scenes.

The maps are made for fun. Both the mapper's fun and the players' fun.

Maybe the only poll question should be "Did you have fun playing this?"

I am for public. It is also nice contests aren't anonymous, and people can share their progress with the community. (Although, to be fair, neither were Dromed ones - many of the usual suspects have very distinct building styles; I could identify a Jason Otto mission from a mile, blindfolded. :laugh:)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Voting for public.

I remember a similar case in a 3d image contest of an online community. The definitely worst image won because he got his whole family to register and vote for him :laugh: I can't imagine something like that happening here, though, but transparency is always good nevertheless. It also encourages people to justify their choices later.