The Dark Mod Forums

Thief1/2: ddfix & Widescreen Patch

LEGION

Please, help me out!!

I need the following (for having fullscreen menus & videos with WideScreenRes):

http://www.ttlg.com/...l=1#post1735677

The links are all down. The code is there, but I don´t know how to edit the dll. I have a software called CFFexplorer, but I can´t handle it. I hope someone can provide the fixed dll.

I use ddfix 1.45, the newest I guess. Please help me out, I´m still waiting for my TTLG-account, so I can´t ask there. :(

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Well, thanks very much for the link, but it´s not working at all. Not only that the menus are still bordered, in-game looks blurry, somehow the screen needs awhile to move along with my view-movement, the stars disappear when I look directly 90° above. In Thief gold, though, Thief 2 looks fine, but the menus/videos are wrong here too.

Dammit, the new version and even 1.4.5 should´ve this menu-fix, seems to be a problem with my res? Tried other widescreen-res´s, no one as correct menus/videos... :(

edit: okay, disabling 'Post processing' gets rid of the blurry bug in Thief Gold, seems to work fine now. Execept the damn menus/videos...

Bloom doesn´t work either (Thief 2, looked at a fireplace, oil lamps), also there seems to be a 'dirt-effect' onscreen, don´t know how to describe it better, when bloom is activated. Tried deactivate saturation, no effect on this.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

The problem is, that TTLG doesn´t want me over there!! I´m trying since 1 1/2 years to get an account there, but never get activation.

I tried one year before, got activation half a year later, but wasn´t using the eMail anymore, when I saw it, it was expired. Damn, last try was in February, even contacted the admins, no reaction. I had an account there 10 years ago, I behaved very well, don´t know what´s going on... :(

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Hey, Bikerdude, when you´re finished with you mission-release, could you maybe help me out here or ask your buddies there (if they still are)? Couldn´t find anyone with the same problems.

Changed some resolutions, GPU-settings, nothing affects the menus. I don´t care for bloom right now, I just want to have the menus, and most important, the videos to be stretched.

I use Nvidia GeForce 9800GT with Desktop-res: 1216x698x32 and for the game I want/use 1232x700x16. It´s downscaled from 1280x720, this is a common widescreen-res, and I tried all widescreen-res´s available on my TV, no one has stretched menus. According to the readme the 4:3-menu-fix is implemented, I tried Timeslips version only, the older ddfix (4.4.5), no luck. Dammit, why do I always have such problems, can´t be the crappy TV, can it? :(

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I don´t care for bloom right now, I just want to have the menus, and most important, the videos to be stretched

So you want the menus and video stretched? But I'm pretty sure the patch you linked to was put in to maintain the original 4:3 aspect ratio of the menus and movies on widescreen monitors.

So what you want is probably a new option in the .ini to disable that?

Oh, I never saw it that way. Hmm, but 4:3-resolutions are stretched!! No, no, the Menus and videos are actually in widescreen, that means not stretched. They are in correct aspect ratio, but because they were never made for widescreen, there are black borders left and right of the screen. This patch there should be the thing I want, but somehow it doesn´t work on my system.

edit: Hmm, when looking at the following sentence, I fear you´re right:

menu screens are adjusted to preserve their aspect ratio

So, yes. An option to have Menus/videos to be fullscreen, would be appreciated.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Yeah, alright bikerdude. Get well and I understand you´re not there anymore, anyway? As you maybe remember, we had a conversation about the widescreenpatch get running on my system a while ago. It´s working now, so the res is supported. I tried with 1280x720, too. I´m still not sure what it´s supposed to be with the videos/menus, are they supposed to be played fullscreen or not with the latest ddfix-version? (1.4.5 & 1.5.0)

@snobel:

Yeah, would be nice if you could post this. :) What I want is:

The menus/videos (I guess these two are related together) should be shown in fullscreen, that means stretched.

Right now they are shown in 4:3 with black borders left and right.

The res I use (1232x700) is downscaled from 1280x720, a common widescreen-res.

My actual work-around is: I converted all the videos to DivX so I can play them in my video-player between the missions in 16:9, and it looks even better due to the filters used in BS-player.

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, that´s fast! Thanks for keeping me up to date, send my thanks also to Jermi if you like, but as I read there this feature was already done. Oh, and maybe that some people (like me) don´t like to have black borders left & right of the screen! :P Especially for the videos it destroyed their 'magic' for me. I´m really happy for this feature! :) (I´m referring here to the first responses I read there)

Only one thing that bothers me is what to do with the bloom-settings, what values do you use if I might ask? I actually use a savegame for a simple oven-fire, does they even use bloom? Are there pictures somewhere?

;Modulation for the unbloomed frame buffer. 0xrrggbb.
Base=0xffffff

;Saturation of the unbloomed frame buffer. 0-255.
;(255 = full saturation, 0 = pure grayscale.)
BaseSaturation=0xc0

;Bloom intensity. 0-255. (0 = disable all bloom processing.)
Bloom=150xff

;Gain from bloom level to the next. 0xrrggbb. (0x404040 = zero gain.)
BloomPersistence=30x404040

;Bloom saturation. 0-255. (255 = full saturation, 0 = pure grayscale.)
BloomSaturation=40x80

;A per-level zoom-in factor. Integer. (0 = no spread.)
;This makes the bloom spread out (positive values) or in (negative values).
BloomSpread=10

;Colors below this will cause no bloom. 0xrrggbb.
BloomThreshold=0x202020

;Trailing and afterimages. 0xaarrggbb. (0 = no trailing.)
;The rgb components modulate the trail color, while the alpha component governs 
;how much of the bloom from the last frame is blended into the current frame.
BloomTrail=0x80ffffff

With this settings I still can´t notice anything. And without Post-processing, is Bloom available for Thief Gold too?

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

send my thanks also to Jermi if you like, but as I read there this feature was already done

OK, I will. I'm pretty sure it was implemented at your request, since he said that he himself didn't really see a need for it.

Only one thing that bothers me is what to do with the bloom-settings, what values do you use if I might ask? [...] With this settings I still can´t notice anything. And without Post-processing, is Bloom available for Thief Gold too?

I've only briefly tried the bloom stuff, but with Enable=1 and defaults for the other options the effect is quite pronounced, so it's weird if you don't see anything. The original release announcement says nothing about it not working with TG, so it probably should...

Hey, now it´s working, that´s strange. I copied the values from the thread you posted but when I now copy the stock values, that are the same it works too, and I had Post-processing enabled, I´m sure.

But Thief Gold is not working, in the Training Mission everything is white except the Keeper and the door, both use update-textures. But the last time I had this blurry effect, must be the new version and my Nvidia GeForce 9800GT not completely compatible, I guess.

I´ll play around with it...

But Thief2 looks so much better now, I only have to try to decrease the effect, by now it´s far too much, but very powerful, too! Really cool, this update, I´m glad to have it. Should be announced on the Circle.

Thanks again for helping me out, snobel! :)

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I too have these artefacts in Thief2, it´s like patterns from views before are burned into the gameplay-screen.

I get an image in Thief1 when I set bloom-intensity to 0.1. It looks like:

post-3744-128373226956_thumb.jpg

Note the transparent pillars. Strange. :blink:

That is Bafford with default-settings:

post-3744-128373317805_thumb.jpg

Also I can´t get NTEX-textures loaded in Thief1. :(

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

legion, trying using a different account name over at ttlg like I did, in your case use "noigel"...

The management over there ignored my request to activate my old account - which just proves I was right to leave in the first place...:P And as T2 mission are getting thinner and thinner on the ground i think my move to TDM was just at the right time.

Edited by Bikerdude

Haha, snobel got the same idea with "NOIGEL" and he even made me an account over there, thanks again, snobel! :)

Are you in America, snobel? I´m in Germany so maybe that´s the reason 'they don´t want me there', or it´s my google-mail...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Haha, snobel got the same idea with "NOIGEL" and he even made me an account over there, thanks again, snobel! :)

Are you in America, snobel? I´m in Germany so maybe that´s the reason 'they don´t want me there', or it´s my google-mail...

I'm sure it's nothing intentional, Legion. The registration process is fully automated. Did you check your spam box in GMail for the notifications? Maybe Google thought it was spam.

Death's Cold Embrace: A Thief 2 campaign due in 2010

You're welcome. Someone who has played through Thief Gold 10 times should definitely be on ttlg...

I'm sure it's nothing intentional, Legion. The registration process is fully automated. Did you check your spam box in GMail for the notifications? Maybe Google thought it was spam.

That's probably the most likely explanation. If ttlg had a general problem with gmail, there would be too many complaints to ignore.