The Dark Mod Forums

Important small items Brightener

Fidcal

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this certainly suggests a wide range of brightness out there, even with the gamma trainer.

Thank you, SO MUCH!

I haven't tried this yet, but I have had a great deal of trouble spotting the vast majority of keys. I'm currently playing (and stuck on) The Caduceus of St. Alban, and one of the very first things I noted in that FM was 'WOW! I can SEE the KEYS here!', so I hope this 'patch' will help bring that relief to other FMs were I have frobbed completely blindly because I never saw a thing.

Glad to hear it's of use and it's also sheep-flock comforting to know I'm not the only one. :)

I'm just reviewing the purses and I see the padlock key is still not bright enough and the gold key is too bright so I'll do some more testing and do an update later.

I just tested Betrayal and found the guard-key and lockpicks too bright, so I changed all the 0.222-rgb-values to 0.08. (it´s still a big way more visible than original) Maybe it´s a good idea to create a little testroom with all keys presented on tables and guards in shadows so players can adjust the brightening themselves? Different systems, different values wanted? I assume you´re actually using such a testroom, Fidcal?

Oh, I just started Bikerdudes actual mission and I saw a key on a guard on the battlement that was very bright, but I couldn´t change that key, so I thought the key is missing and searched the original mtr-file, but then came it to my mind that bikerdude made that key light up himself... :laugh:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Yes. Biker put this file right into the original stalban.pk4. But download again as its removed from his later version.

Not had time to get back to this yet. My test map only had 2 or 3 keys and lockpicks. Now I realize they vary so I have to do more on it when I can.

Now updated this and uploaded (see link in first post in this thread) You need to get 'brightener' and DELETE your old brighterkeys.mtr etc. or there will be conflict.

I've modified some of the keys so they all are about the same.

I've added purses and also there is a belt pouch which is not loot and not normally frobable but occasionally someone might use it.

Please give feedback if any problems. They are not meant to be too easy to see but you should find if you follow an AI you can tell if he has something at his belt and won't have to blind frob.

Oh - I forgot the blackjack. another time maybe.

Ah thanks, that sorted things out. Well the keys are much better now than they were before (almost invisible :S).

I found the keys were a little too bright though, enough so that when I 'highlighted' them they weren't brighter at all if only a tiny bit. The blue one especially.

Like others have said, this is much better than blind frobbing! I'd rather them be a little too bright than almost invisible :D

Thanks again.

Edited by Soulie

This is a matter of preference, it's true. I for one like it. Thanks, Fidcal!

It couldn't hurt to have items people carry on them to be a little brighter. In fact, I thought that was already the case: In the Alchemist there is this guard walking around near the alchemist's mansion on the street and he has this funny jacket on. There's a sort of a blond circle on his jacket right below his belt on his side - and I naturally thought "hey, finally a loot bag I can see!" I grabbed it - and found out it was actually just a part of his coat! And then I got my ass handed down to me on a silver platter!

Having more than one key on a person is hard to see if the AI is wearing something dark colored. And you are basically approaching him from one direction only. You'd have to circle around him to find if he has another key or item on him. It's not hard - just frobbing blindly at times.

Maybe some kind of compromise can be reached here in the next update?

Summer

• 3 months later...

I think I need to update it with the new video options. You can check by turning ambient rendering to normal or simple I think. If that doesn't work then check the brightener.mtr is in the materials folder within the darkmod folder and not directly in the darkmod folder.

Anyway, I'll do an update of the file later. Thanks for reminding me.

I think I need to update it with the new video options. You can check by turning ambient rendering to normal or simple I think. If that doesn't work then check the brightener.mtr is in the materials folder within the darkmod folder and not directly in the darkmod folder.

Anyway, I'll do an update of the file later. Thanks for reminding me.

IMO, The keys should be no brighter than the clothing they are against - or whatever backdrop is against a key. To me that is more real; find my settings to be fine, I just have to look hard, after all, I am in the dark...and I have to be careful.

Tho' thanks to Fidcal for offering this.

Since 1.03 I´m forced to re-adjust my gamma I dismissed the brightener.mtr and still I can spot keys very good, but I can tell only for the ones in Beleaguered Fence, so I need to test more. Also the new DynamicAmbientLight-system makes a difference now...

Nothing of this was put into v1.03, right Fids?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

No, my gamma is minimal; calibrated originally by the trainer gamma room. After this new update with video enhancements enabled it seemed to significantly increase contrast so shadows were black. I had to raise the gamma slightly and lower bright so it approximated how it was before. But I've still not re-visited the gamma room because I've not yet decided my final settings of the new enhancements to stick with. Nor even how it might affect the gamma room setup.