The Dark Mod Forums

Dmap the world

DeTeEff

I've kept this somewhat sick thought in my head for some time...But how long do you think it would take to dmap the whole world (earth)? Considering you have the best computer available. We are talking DarkRadiant and the id Tech 4-engine. All people and animals should be present :huh:

Crashes and owerflow aside, would it be done in even 10 years time? :ph34r:

Well, the world would consist of only the world + 8191 entities...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I wonder what's the size of the .map file.

Think what would happen if someone changed a texture or a model name somewhere. Fire up your text editor and time to do some find&replace.

And the next time you wake up to reality it says "AAS out of date"

**shivers**

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Well, the world would consist of only the world + 8191 entities...

Baaahh, put those restrictions aside :D

Man, this thread is quickly headed for the highest ham-to-post ratio in history.

What is that supposed to mean? :wacko:

BTW Tels...Should the Great wall of China be turned into a func_static? ;)

I guess not, as it surely traverses through several visportals :D

Edited by Fieldmedic

Well, I suppose it would depend on what operating system the machine is running. If it is running Windows 98, it would DMap for about 49 days, then promptly crash. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216641)

If it was running Windows 95, it would continue to function until it hit the line "C:\con\con" somewhere in the code, and then probably do this.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concon

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

The way things are going, I think we're almost overdue for a dmap. There's certainly a lot of problems with AI which need to be worked out.

If that doesn't fix it, maybe it's time to drop to a terminal and:

rm -rf /world

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

the dinosaurs tryed to dmap the world and look what happened to them!

LOL :laugh: Good one Stumpy. Funny to think of all the extinction events, ice ages, global warmings, etc as dmaps by the gods. :laugh: "Well, look at all this console output. And those dinosaurs don't look realistic and way too many polys. I suggest we wipe that lot and try something smaller instead Zeus!"

LOL :laugh: Good one Stumpy. Funny to think of all the extinction events, ice ages, global warmings, etc as dmaps by the gods. :laugh: "Well, look at all this console output. And those dinosaurs don't look realistic and way too many polys. I suggest we wipe that lot and try something smaller instead Zeus!"

:laugh:

sometimes a look into the off topics can really make the day better

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

I foresee this getting into trouble when it gets to the part where it has to Dmap itself Dmapping the world. Infinite regress ahoy! :o

I suggest we just use a hack in the .gui for the computer screen that puts a simple "spinning world" .gif there as a sufficient placeholder.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Aaaah, I foresee plenty of malloc errors. We'll have to upgrade accessible memory the way The Nameless Mod did: We shall use a human brain. :ph34r: I shudder to think what will happen to a brain if our world dmap hits a full-blown syntax error.

soooooo....who wants to volunteer for the lobotomy? ^_^

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

We shall use a human brain. :ph34r:

For the record, our brains *do* render the world for us out of essentially the vector & polygon information it receives raycast on to our retina. Actually, that's pretty much just what brains are for. They probably compute pathfinding & a lot of other dmap functions at the same time, as well.

So if you really wanted a brain to dmap and render the world... take a long vacation, travel everywhere, and look around.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It's going to be really embarrassing when Voyager hits the skybox. :blush:

:laugh::laugh:

I am sure the designer is clever enough to put a trigger that teleports everything getting close to the skybox into space. Typical problem is that everything going to space loses it bearings during the teleporting..

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

It's going to be really embarrassing when Voyager hits the skybox.

You know that really would make for a cool Sci-Fi (or, rather, just drama) premise. Has it been done? How freaked out would everyone be!?

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696