The Dark Mod Forums

Vertigo Contest Entry - Swing - by Komag (2010/08/25)

Komag

Vertigo Contest Entry - Swing - by Komag (2010/08/25)  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

It is actually the only time a game has amde me feel off balance in real life, thinking about it, very good job.

I also got it via rope arrows, I stuck one to th rotating boxes-thing and just made large circles when rope swinging until I passed by the crown and grabbed it.

To get the crown :

There is a second launcher up high below some spiral "stairs" that launches you right past the crown so you can grab it in the air.

I had no idea it was possible to swing enough to get it from a rope!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I knew crates would slide around if the swing was moving, hadn't considered mantling though. Even though I realized that wouldn't work right at the begining section of this map on the mini swings.

Kindof weird actually but not sure what could be done. You can grab/mantle the moving swings, though they will keep moving and swing out from under you at which point you fall.

Probably as easy as setting 'mantleable' '0' on each of those entities would at least get rid of the false/almost mantle thing.

Another issue I noticed was that you can stop any of the rotating things if you get in their way. During testing I was unsure what could be done, but I have since remembered there is a 'blockable' spawnarg (I think it's blockable). If that's set to '0' then the player couldn't stop those moving parts, but would probably be crushed and die. (I was going to test before I said anything, but i haven't tested and don't know when I will at this point)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Wow, great job Komag. I think this platformer could even rival Mario.

I think it's great with the small swings at the start and I thought "hey is this it?? A bunch of little swings". Then I go up the stairs and WHOAAA. I think having that small section at the beginning really makes the pendulum ship stand out.

One thing I regret though was I never used the rotating wheel at the very top. I just used two ropes to get up to the playform above the ropes then ran around the top to the dangling tiny steps. They could then be reached with another rope.Also are you meant to stop the vertical spinning wheel with a rope arrow to get to the bottle in the middle? I thought maybe that was just a bug.

This really is innovative, I don't think I've seen such a mechanic in any other game.

Well done

Thanks! :D

your questions:

Wow, another way to progress, I never thought of that!

You're "meant" to shoot a rope arrow up into one of the wooden undersides of the block things rotating around, then ride the rope around to the other side and jump off at the top of the tiny steps.

The spinning things can be stopped due to how the game engine works (and I didn't want them to kill the player by changing the setting), but you're not meant to - you can climb down the metal support beam thing from one of the platforms (the one below the one you get shot up to) to get that bottle

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

It took a lot of time to convince me to install and play it, but I wasn't disappointed. High points:

- Seeing the whole crazy thing in motion for the first time

- The giant wheel with the smaller wheels attached to it - sadistic, took several tries

- Shooting a rope arrow into a moving box and riding it

- All the ways that can make you go *SPLAT* (and receive 10000+ points of damage)

Not much story in it, but the rest is just hypnotic. :laugh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

This mission made me go through several modes;

WOW :wub: -->

Grumping over 100 quick loads. "Okay, it's a swing and there ought to be difficulties in balancing on the beams and perform tricky jumps" <_< -->

Totally frustration over the damn thief that cannot stand on his feet! :angry: :angry: :angry: -->

But my enjoyment went up after finding some bottles and when I realized how to get the damned crown :laugh:

Overall, not a standard thief mission, but a ground breaking one with great emphasis on vertical feeling, which the contest is about.

I thought there would be some goodies on the top of the swing but no luck for me there...:(

And I felt really dumb when I had finished it and restarted and used tdm_show_loot and saw that bottle AT THE STAIRS NEAR THE BEGINNING! :P

Edited by Fieldmedic

:laugh: Yeah, that bottle I discovered at last while searching for the exit...

Also I wonder, that most bottom bottle (that sounds nice) I accessed with two rope-arrows. Is there another way to get down there and up again?

Can't you just fall off the edge?

I'll go try it right now.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit frustrating, but overall this was a great, addictive mission! I have to admit, once it hit home just what was going on, I was really impressed. You could have just as easily called it, "Swing & Barf" in some places.

I so wanted to explore those ruins, or see if there was extra loot on the smashed cart. :)

207115_1788633687853_1599901965_31729336_1424191_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great mission, and fun, too! biggrin.gif

Voted excellent gameplay and appearance, tolerable story. (Dunno if I should have voted anymore, since the contest is over...)

TDM movement is better than in Thief, so having a whole mission to try these things out, was totally fun! I'm still actually playing this - atm I'm pondering what to do about the big wheel with the smaller wheels... Hmm... Don't want any hints, haven't needed them so far.

Komag, this is one excellent mission! It's different, challenging, fun and crazy with a capital C! Make more missions! wub.gif

• 4 weeks later...

There are 10 bottles, and 6 of them are in very close proximity to the six generators around the map (so if you hear a generator, look for a bottle!). Here they are in the earliest order you could possibly reach each bottle:

1 in the beginning area, by the stairs leading up out of the interior

2 tucked in the generator at the top of the spinning spiral stairs

3 behind the generator on the other side of the long barrel roll

4 on the left side of the elevator bars

5 underneath the super-launcher seat

6 tucked in the support beams of the high platform (grab from upper nail)

7 sitting on the side of the generator running the big rotating wheel

8 half-way up the skinny stairs (before the rope arrows)

9 on the back corner of the platform with the crown level launcher seat

10 way way down on the below-the-swing platform (need two rope arrows to reach)

Thanks Komag. If it's okay with you I'll add this to the loot list that's being compiled for all of the missions.

Edited by pmw57

Huh, mantling translating things works fine (except for the possibility of clipping in to stuff while doing it). It's just rotating things that don't work. You'd fix it in idPhysics_Player::MantleMove().

The way mantling tracks moving objects is kind of simplified:

if (m_p_mantledEntity != NULL)
{
	idPhysics* p_physics = m_p_mantledEntity->GetPhysics();
	if (p_physics != NULL)
	{
		newPosition += p_physics->GetOrigin();
	}
}

It only takes into accoun translation, but if it's a large object that's rotating, the origin doesn't change, but the point on the surface where the player started mantling does change. There might actually be a quick fix for this: store the vector from the entity's origin to the point on the entity's surface that the player started mantling, get the current coordinates of that point (taking both change in origin and orientation into account), and offset the mantle by that current surface point instead.