The Dark Mod Forums

Why won't these 3 missions load?

Shaz

Out of all the FMs listed on the wiki, there are 3 that I simply cannot get to play.

Somewhere Above the City - the mission loading bar completes, switches to 'Mission Loaded, Please Wait' text, and Doom3 crashes a short time after.

Alchemist - the mission loading bar completes, switches to 'Preparing Mission, Please Wait' text, and Doom3 crashes a short time after.

The Rift - the mission doesn't even get as far as the splash screen/loading bar, Doom3 crashes while still showing the 'Dark Mod' splash screen.

All crash with the 'Doom3 has stopped working' popup error message. No other error message.

All other missions - and by this I mean, every other FM listed in the wiki - loads and plays fine.

I first reported this in the Alchemist thread on these forums. Fidcal and nbohr1more were kind enough to attempt to help me with the issue, but after posting a couple conDump files and my DoomConfig, no answer was found as to why it was happening.

I have the proper Doom3 patch. I have tried various graphics settings fruitlessly.

System specs: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3GHz, Win7 (have tried with Aero on and off), 8GB RAM, ATI 4870 (Catalyst AI disabled).

I appreciate all help and ideas as to what I might try to fix whatever the problem is!

Edited by Shaz

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, you have a pretty similar systme to me so The Rift so be no problem in that aspect.

Gotta ask, do you have TDM 1.02 updted? I did use a zip file and 1.01 won't do zips. You probably do but that comes straight to mind.

I haven't heard of anyone else not being able to load it yet.

-----------

Another issue MIGHT be you need to dmap it. Don't ask me why, but I have only had one map I couldn't load, even DL'ed it several times. 'Heart'.

Once I dmapped it loaded fine.

So delete any folders in Doom3 folder with those map names (Rift), open the zip in FM's, copy the maps folder to your darkmod folder. Delete the cm,proc files. Only leave .map in there.

Open game, bring down console, type dmap rift

Should take about 2-3 minutes to compile. Put those files back into the rfit/maps .zip

Try again.

Hopefully that'll work.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Thanks for the help, Baddcog!

My TDM is up to date. I haven't had Dark Mod installed very long, and re-running the updater to make sure it was fully patched was one of the things I tried a few days ago to get Alchemist to run.

The Rift download from the wiki is a .pk4 (everything I've downloaded has been .pk4, no issues there).

I'm not sure I'm fully understanding how to dmap. I deleted the Rifts folder from C:/Games/Doom3, as well as C:/Games/Doom3/darkmod/fms. I then made the Rift.pk4 into a .zip, extracted the maps folder, removed everything but the .map, put that folder into C:/Games/Doom3. Started TDM, opened console, typed 'dmap rift', and got the error message: "WARNING: Couldn't load map file: 'maps/rift'." I'm guessing I made a mistake, and not understanding things properly?

Sure, no prob, you actually need nothing but the map file.

Then after Dmap the maps folder will have the aas, proc, map... Put ALL of those into the rift.zip. Then put it back into fm's and cross your fingers.

You can name it .pk4 if you want, that's the Doom standard but TDM 1.02 and above are zip compatible. Whoever uploaded probably changed the extension.

Okay...I'm still getting the same thing.

rift.map is all by its lonesome as C:\Games\Doom3\rift.map and yet I still get WARNING: Couldn't load map file: 'maps/rift' when I do ' dmap rift ' in the console.

You need to put the map in a folder called maps. On mine it's actually got be under "D:\Games\Doom 3\darkmod\maps" if I'm running TDM to dmap it... so I suspect the same for you (with your path at the head of that one)...

I also usually isolate the map in its own folder beneath that (eg "D:\Games\Doom 3\darkmod\maps\rift\rift.map") and then say "dmap \rift\rift"...

ETA: I hope that's clear; and I also hope that I'm not misremembering that either type of slash will work because even though I could have saved some time by just going back and editing my post rather than typing this long drawn out sentence about slashes being interchangeable under the D3/D3mod console dmapping system I'd really rather not now that I've started this sentence, but upon reflection maybe I should have because now it has certainly gotten out of control so I'd better shut down now.

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Really there's no use for a rift folder.

just:

darkmod/maps

--------

The rift folder might keep things tidier if you have alot of projects going but I've got 50+ map files in my maps folder.

Plus making that extra folder is just more to type everytime you compile, and it would screw up the directory and not let him load the map if an extra folder ended up in the path.

Okay, putting rift.map in a maps folder in the darkmod folder allowed the 'dmap rift' command to function. Problem, though... after it has 'removed degenerate triangles' a few imes, Doom3 crashes, with the same 'Doom3 has stopped working' popup. It has done this at the same point three times in a row now.

(psst...I'm a she, ;) ..oh, and I got quite a laugh out of your run-on-sentence ETA, it ran on in the same method my brain tends to )

Edited by Shaz

But... that is a clue towards a solution for at least one of the crashes. Hopefully someone will be along to assist with degenerate triangles, Shaz. Sorry about the "he" assuming.

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I hope so. :) I'll keep running any and every test anyone thinks might possibly point out the culprit, but I'm just glad I can play the majority of the FMs out there. I just hope this problem remains something that only affects the minority of FMs for me.

And don't worry about the 'he' thing. In the decades I've been a gamer, I've become accustomed to it (though I can't ever stop myself from correcting, since some still subscribe to the 'girls don't game!' mentality).

Edited by Shaz

I'm thinking you probably have one of the semi-mixed-up TDM installs; it seems some mirrors are hosting imperfect replicas... I believe you can find a file called "tdm_mirrors.txt" in your darkmod folder, and then comment-out (put a "#" at the front of each line) whatever mirros might be suspect. Problem is, which are suspect? I don't know. But maybe you could be the one to discover/verify which is the bestestest!:

Comment-out all but 1 and see what happens. I'd start by leaving the lowest "weighted" one uncommented-out and then on and on until maybe something works? Also when you run tdm_update add "--keep-mirrors" to the command line.

Hope that too is clear, relevant and doable...?

IF you are successful it may be of great use for many.

Ok, I've commented out all but the lowest-weighted mirror, but I need a bit more detail here. Once I've done this, do I run tdmupdater? and if so, explain the command line change. That's something I've never really done much before.

And no worries, Baddcog, didn't feel any sexism anywhere, it was just an incorrect guess as to which gender I was. :)

Sexiest? ;)

Anyway, if you are Windows, and you know where the "Run" dialog is (Start->Run), then you can put this in and the press Enter (yes include the quote marks just in case) :

"D:\Games\Doom 3\darkmod\tdm_update" --keep-mirrors

(again replacing the head of that path to darkmod with your actual path, which you seem to understand)...

Look for an update that results in some downloaded files... and please take note of which mirror you had uncommented at the time, then try to run The Rift and if it works remember the mirror...

Hmmmm... well you say that the console isn't giving you any more info than what you've listed here and the crashes don't say much either...

All I can recommend now is to delete all of your current TDM install (just TDM) and run tdm_update with just the bloodgate mirror as the uncommented one? I believe that is the primary one? Someone correct me?

Heh, pretty strange issue.

I'll have a look at the mission files together and try spot any pattern, but it does seem somewhat strange as those three are somewhat unassuming in their use of TDM assets... and I have a feeling this is related to a texture or something like that; i.e it sounds similar to the issue with older ATI cards crashing when doom3 had 'bad' specular decelerations in the material files (the files were referenced but missing).

It would be interesting if you could fiddle with sound settings iiam.png

Or the old issue where ATI cards just utterly crashed when a model with a non-power-of-two diffusemap came into view. Ever walked through the item manipulation area of the training mission?

Edit: Wait, no. We fixed that texture didn't we? Damn for fixing things.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Well, I have ATI and have had no issues with Rift crashing. Or any other map for that matter.

But I have been meaning to look at one texture. The stones up the side of the church tower were black for 2 of my testers, but they are white/speckly to me like they should be. That was the only issue I'm aware of though and nobody else mentioned it.

And the only custom thing included was a skin (gold texture on rock).

Did the delete and reinstall of TDM...still same issue.

Fiddle with sound settings? What should I do there?

And yeah..this is quite a mystery. I'm prone to being a victim of such things, sorry. :blush:

Thanks for trying to help me figure this out!

But I have been meaning to look at one texture. The stones up the side of the church tower were black for 2 of my testers

Don't bother, it was only black in the beta version. I thought you had done something to fix it as it turned out fine in the final release.

Is it worth providing stripped out map files to try narrow things down (i.e. split the map in two, see if either will dmap, rinse and repeat)? Or is it more likely to be a resources thing?

Honestly I don't think it's the maps themselves. If nobody else is having the issue.

Unfortunately until Shaz figures it out we may never know.

He's tried re-Dling the mod, re-DLing the maps, recompiling my map.

he's got a pretty nice rig.

===========

Any similartiies in maps? Could be hard to pinpoint.

Rift - I used ALOT of patches. Only a custom skin. No intro, etc... pretty basic really. The start area is sealed so it's not like massive fps drop at start or anything. (was zip but I guess pk4 now) Didn't even use a huge variety of textures. Only about 3 in start room (plus objects- maybe 20 total)

Has a store pulled from start map.

Alchemist - not too familiar with, haven't played entire map yet. Start is more 'open' I think, or was it a small room? (pk4?)

Somewhere...- same thing, have played some of it but not all, seems to start in a small area so no major frame issues. And seems to be halls, rooms, visportalled well. (pk4?)

Fidcal, Grayman(?), anything with your missions that is 'weird'? or possible load issues?