The Dark Mod Forums

Cutscene Wiki Page

grayman

I'm working on a Wiki page about cutscenes.

As part of this effort, I'll be including small test maps.

Rather than post these on a site like filefront or mediafire, is there a TDM repository where I can house them? There will be ten pk4s, each <30K.

Thanks.

Edited by grayman

I added a link to Rich_is_Bored's renamed (to a .txt extension) PK4 to my wiki article so I presume that if you use the forum upload tool that would suffice? I don't know if the forum is periodically stripped of attachments?

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Light_Textures_and_Falloff_Images

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I've begun work on this, and it's already appearing on the Tutorials and Editing TOC pages.

I've included a NOTE at the beginning that it's under construction, so:

- be warned that it might change at any moment

- links to attachments might go nowhere

Of course, if you want to wander in there, and have comments you want to pass along, you can note them in this thread so others can see. I'll deal with them at some point.

Thanks.

just add a .txt to the extension and post it to this forum like this: Zzz_ambient.pk4.txt

Then right-click on the attachment and chose "copy link location" and paste into your wiki.

(actually when you attach the pk4 you will see the internal attachment syntax so using that might make things more tidy)...

If you go to the Wiki and look for "Cutscenes" in the Editing or Tutorial sections, it'll take you to the start of the articles I'm writing.

I'm roughly halfway through Part 2, but I'm interested in knowing whether the level of detail is appropriate, the stuff makes sense, the layouts are okay, the pictures are big enough, blah blah blah.

Thanks to anyone who has some time to proofread.

I read through everything until "Camera Movement"

I did not do as told, but the instructions seem clear and easy to understand. Images clarify things nicely.

I did not see any typos or anything. Looks good and educating so far.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I will offer the same comment that Tels provided me for Wiki formatting advice. A cursory look seems to show that you are following most of these conventions but you are not using the "Mouse button icons"

Per Tels:

* for bullet lists, add "*" in front of the lines (like so :)

* you can use [http://blah.com Some text] so it display better (did not do this yet)

* use either a space in front of lines, or add <pre> </pre> arond sections you want in monospace, like the examples from material shaders

* use things like |400px|thumb on images (so they don't span the entire monitor and then some :) This causes the images to appear on the right side, so to make the text stop wrapping around the image, e.g. restart the next headline as a new paragraph, use the template {{clear}} after this paragraph.

* use more deeper levels for headlines with === level 2 === etc, to organize your text better

Hope this helps :)

Btw, we also have nice templates for the left/right mouse button {{LMB}}, {{RMB}} as well as for keys like {{key|ENTER}} or {{key|ALT}}+{{key|P}} - use them if you want to show keyboard keys or mouse buttons to be pressed. (Remember to use uppercase letters, because thats whats on the keyboard, so use {{ALT}}+{{key|L}}, not {{ALT}}+{{key|l}} :)

Edited by nbohr1more

Q:

Mappers use two different work methods: Project and Non-project.

How should I set up the Cutscene tutorial? For a Project method, or for a Non-project method? If I cater to both, I'll need to provide sample maps & sounds in two packages, one suitable for each method, and provide setup instructions for whichever is downloaded.

Do folks have a preference?

Thanks

If I had to... do it as a project, you can include multiple maps if that's a concern. People that work in a non-project manner can just move the stuff manually, not very hard to copy paste things between maps in DR or move the defs by hand, most likely they'll be interested in changing things anyway.

Images or the tutorial files(map, audio etc)?

I'd be happy to offer hosting for the tutorial matter, contrib site just needs a few lines of code removed and it should be good enough for your needs.

The images are going up fine, no limit issues. I can't upload anything but images in the Wiki, so I've resorted to attaching the tut files here to get them into TDM-space, then linking from the Wiki pages.

Part 3's tut file is 593K, however, so attaching it here is blocked. And Part 4 and Part 5 will need equivalent space.

I was hoping to keep the tut files in TDM-controlled space. I can put them on mediafire, but should I ever close that account, they'd have to be rehosted.

If it's ok to host all of them on your site, then let's do that. Just let me know how to do that.

I need 2.25MB total space.

Thanks for the offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it'll be interesting to see if/how it gets used. It was daunting at first, trying to figure out how to string everything together to make it work, and I'm hoping the wiki will make it easier.

(Of course, there's always my concern that I made it too detailed. But if folks work through it bit-by-bit, they should pop out the other end just fine.)

• 4 weeks later...

Grayman!

It was just until today I had finally time to play around with a simple cutscene creation.

I have to say that your excellent tutorial was imperative to understand how to do these. I would have been totally lost without the tutorial.

Just to let you know that your hard work is very much appreciated. Thank you! :wub:

What I've created today for my upcoming FM Knighton's manor will be the standard for all of my future missions.

(Statement deliberately left vague to increase community anticipation, but it is true. I'm definately going to use these more in the future...)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.