The Dark Mod Forums

A game taffers might like...

Bikerdude

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought it on the Hallowe'en special... was playing it the way it told you to, 4am, all lights off, headphones, and an eyefinity setup for added immersion.. been in the game 2 hours... and my new flatmate's dog (which is mostly black) walked up beside me, and shook itself loudly.... I nearly peed:blush:

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I played the Penumbra games, completing the first two and enjoying them a lot. Although the atmosphere in this one is good, I just can't get into it. The game has this problem where if you don't figure out what you're supposed to do in a reasonable amount of time, your lantern runs out of oil and you are pretty much SOL. Sure, there is the tinderbox, which can be used to light the occasional torch or candle, but you don't get a whole lot of those.

The player should always have some sort of infinite source of light in a world like this. Penumbra got it right. You had a flashlight that was more effective, but you also got a glow-stick that lasted forever if your flashlight ran out. It is no fun to stumble around in almost pitch-black rooms with no light source looking for clues.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Never had that problem in the game. You just have to be canny with your oil. For example, if you run up to an lighted area, you can just put the lantern out already, even if you're quite a distance away. It takes some time until the negative effect on your mental health kicks in and as long as you look into the light, it won't even be that strong. I think it was perfectly balanced. At least at first. In the end, I had way too many tinderboxes and too much oil. ;)