The Dark Mod Forums

A game taffers might like...

Bikerdude

Just finished the demo. I wanted more. The more you decent, and end up in the flooded out section, that area and the beast are unnerving to say the least. Nice bit of discovery finding that you can throw objects to lure the beast away from you, nice touch, and a great help! Looking forward to the full version.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a fan of Penumbra this has turned out exactly like I thought, and hoped, it would. Order on Steam and get a 20% discount too!

Lantern hand or not in TDM I really wish we had a light source size closer to Amnesia than what we currently have.

The current lantern in TDM is useless for anything bar banging around objects in a pitch black room (bad for gameplay) and the falloff feels far too abrupt imho.

For a demo to give that impression, to make you feel like that. It did its job. Clever how you had to figure out how to deal with those, water monsters. Use the body parts as bait to lure them away from you. Like a rabid dog, throw something in the opposite direction to get rid of it.

Same thing happened in Shalebridge Cradle. At the beginning of the level, you rue the light, wishing that there was something to hide in. Toward the end, you are terrified of the darkness, never knowing what it could hide.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I'm ruined for the nifticity of this game by TDM.

Okay, the manipulation of the doors was cool, but bet that can be managed in TDM (Fidcal or one of the other DRists is already at work, I'll betcha).

I want to mantle and lean forward and hunkerdown and move quickly at the same time and... pull out my bow.

Also I'm just about completely tired of horror-this survival-that. Meaning I am actually way beyond completely tired of it (sick of it) as I never much liked it to begin with but only enjoyed a few of the better ones anyway...

Plus? As was just mentioned? I am not about to start embracing and even kindling the light.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Also I'm just about completely tired of horror-this survival-that. Meaning I am actually way beyond completely tired of it (sick of it) as I never much liked it to begin with but only enjoyed a few of the better ones anyway...

What else are you suppose to do in a horror game besides survive, have tea? :P

Shalebridge Cradle made me yawn.

I thought the door thing was alright, but a bit buggy. You have to pull/push JUST right. Gets a little tedious yanking on the door to figure which way.

I could handle it through that game but not in TDM. Besides, none of them are locked so TDM is a bit more complex.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I could handle it through that game but not in TDM. Besides, none of them are locked so TDM is a bit more complex.

Oh, well...

I thought I was having an easy time of it. I just thought that first door was locked (or otherwise blocked); maybe I'll go back and take a look in there...

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Yes, that door, especially that very last door, when time is of the essence. That was intense.

The rotating handle? Yeah, I threw an arm and got worked. Then decided to throw another part and wait for the blood fountain, then started cranking the hell out of it. Pretty tense 'cause you know you're on a timeline but can't afford to look back.

I actually found the dial pretty easy, once you started it spinning it worked well.

And I thought the 'traps' they had were pretty good. Like the pulley blockage. Creative and it worked well.

I could see this being a really fun once through game. Didn't strike me as a game with alot of re-playability. However $20 isn't all that much for a game so probably worth it. $50 and I'd say no way.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yeah, since its so linear, have to go one way, once you're through, you're through and you know it. TDM and Thief have spoiled us silly. :P:)

By that rotating value/handle. I threw a crate near the handle, jumped over to it, and just casually turned the handle while the beasties had lunch elsewhere.

Well this game is out now and currently downloading on Steam here.

I get the impression that some of you haven't tried Penumbra. If you like the traps in this game you'll pretty much guaranteed to like Penumbra. Also, whilst certainly more linear than Thief Penumbra did have some locations where you weren't on a fixed path. The demo of Amnesia felt completely linear but I've faith the full game won't be like that.

I've played Penumbra, the whole series. This bunch just likes to pick things apart, you think this is bad, go over to TTLG and see the multi page thread on this, that started a year ago.

So few horror games, this game isn't horrible, I'll play it. Favorite games are Thief of course, Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines, Undying, Alice, few others.

I did like Clive Barker's Undying years back. The setting was something new yet still sort of familiar because of reading H.P. Lovecraft and too many history books. My CD is in such sad condition, I should make an ISO backup while I still can.

Oh yes, I'm installing Amnesia as I type. I might just use this game along with heart monitoring to case-study horror games and fear in my Psychology class. Should my victims subjects use headphones or surround sound speakers...?

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair