The Dark Mod Forums

Duke Nukem Forevat the Fu@#

jdude

Apparently Duke Nukem Forever has been ressurected from the failed project it once was, is going to be finished by Gearbox, and released in 2011. I've never been a big Duke Fan but I must know why this game took so long to finish, even if it was just just the dev team goofing about.

I got the information from today's IGN Daily Fix.

Anyone else a tad bit surprised considering all the fuss surrounding this game?

If it's half as good as Duke 3D, it will already be very good. Beyond the dumb humour, that game had amazing and fun level design, and played extremely well (it also had a very dedicated editing community for its time).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yeah, I was always dieing to play the version based on the Quake 2 engine. I would still buy that. It was all gameplay over cinematics. I absolutely love SiN, so I'm sure that version of DNF would have blown my mind. The Unreal version didn't look as much fun IMO. Now I'm sure this new version will be sattled with some we-own-your-soul activation bullcrap. Too bad... If this game had come out when it was supposed to, it would have been a first-day purchase from me.

For the record, DN3D also had some fantastic music. I'm talking about e2l8 (Dark Side), e2l7 (Lunar Reactor) and e1l4 (Toxic Dump). These great melodies are burned into my mind forever.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Isn't it funny how you tend to hate games like this? i hate black mesa because the team have been teasing people with news of it's development since 2004

actually I hate those fools who ruin such masterpiece. I have waited it more than 10 years and result is nothing. And these guys gonna make it in one year. So, it's gonna suck in different way. You decide who is the funny.

actually I hate those fools who ruin such masterpiece. I have waited it more than 10 years and result is nothing. And these guys gonna make it in one year. So, it's gonna suck in different way. You decide who is the funny.

:laugh:

Obviously they're not making it in one year. They have 'taken over' the existing game from 3DRealms.

One of the developers of Duke Nukem Forever before 3dRealms shut down was none other than 'Raen' aka 'Sledge' aka David Riegel of TTLG/Thief 3. I was in contact with him during the development of Duke Nuke'em Forever, getting some feed back on what he thought of TDM. Duke was extremely close to a release. I know he was working extremely long hours and the push was on to get the bloody thing finished...but then things happened and 3drealms ran out of money and time.

I'm sure Gearbox is updating some assets to bring the game a little more up to date, tweaking, playtesting...all that stuff.

In any case, they'll be standing on the shoulders of the folks like David who were hired to inject some fresh energy into the project and get it finished.

:laugh:

Obviously they're not making it in one year. They have 'taken over' the existing game from 3DRealms.

One of the developers of Duke Nukem Forever before 3dRealms shut down was none other than 'Raen' aka 'Sledge' aka David Riegel of TTLG/Thief 3. I was in contact with him during the development of Duke Nuke'em Forever, getting some feed back on what he thought of TDM. Duke was extremely close to a release. I know he was working extremely long hours and the push was on to get the bloody thing finished...but then things happened and 3drealms ran out of money and time.

I'm sure Gearbox is updating some assets to bring the game a little more up to date, tweaking, playtesting...all that stuff.

In any case, they'll be standing on the shoulders of the folks like David who were hired to inject some fresh energy into the project and get it finished.

lol I'm aware they have taken over it. But still, it looks so unrealistic to complete and release it in 1 year. If it was that close to release, they would finish it imo. Anyway, even Gearbox 'll release it in 2011, it'll be definitely dissapointment for fans. Because they waited it over a decade, and that made their expectations so high. So nothing can satisfy them from now on.

Edited by SiyahParsomen

...But still, it looks so unrealistic to complete and release it in 1 year. If it was that close to release, they would finish it imo...

Well, they're picking up a game that was late in development at another studio. It's going to take a bit of time to familiarize themselves with the code base and then start killing bugs / refining the game. From what I was told, the game was in early to mid 'alpha' state...so it still had a few months of work left, but it was definitely the nearest to release the game had ever been.

While the 'title' Duke Nukem Forever has been in development for over 10 years, the actual game has been scrapped and restarted several times over. I think there have been around 3 or 4 versions of Duke Nukem Forever. lol It's insane.

Anyway, I guess my point is that even though it was close to a releasable state...it's still going to take some time for another studio to play catch up and get comfortable with the game. I don't see 'sometime' in 2011 as unrealistic.

Well, they're picking up a game that was late in development at another studio. It's going to take a bit of time to familiarize themselves with the code base and then start killing bugs / refining the game. From what I was told, the game was in early to mid 'alpha' state...so it still had a few months of work left, but it was definitely the nearest to release the game had ever been.

While the 'title' Duke Nukem Forever has been in development for over 10 years, the actual game has been scrapped and restarted several times over. I think there have been around 3 or 4 versions of Duke Nukem Forever. lol It's insane.

Anyway, I guess my point is that even though it was close to a releasable state...it's still going to take some time for another studio to play catch up and get comfortable with the game. I don't see 'sometime' in 2011 as unrealistic.

yeah they changed graphics engine during development and such big mistakes finished them off. I really don't believe they'll make it, so I'll bump this topic at the end of 2011. But If they'll finish it on time, then I'll eat my words.:D

yeah they changed graphics engine during development and such big mistakes finished them off. I really don't believe they'll make it, so I'll bump this topic at the end of 2011. But If they'll finish it on time, then I'll eat my words.:D

They'll finish. It's in Gearbox's hands now. lol I seriously doubt they would have had a playable demo if they weren't able to finish it. It's pretty much at the beta stage now if they can demo it.

Yeah, I thought I read somewhere that the game is basically ready for beta and locked down, and just needs to get through testing, probably starting in Oct or Nov if they want a 2011 release. If you think about it, it probably wouldn't have gotten funding this time unless it was already basically ready to go but just needed that last push of testing. I can't imagine it got funded just to keep the joke running. If it were anything short of a practically already finished game, I am pretty sure they'd have no qualms just dropping it and never look back.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah, I thought I read somewhere that the game is basically ready for beta and locked down, and just needs to get through testing, probably starting in Oct or Nov if they want a 2011 release. If you think about it, it probably wouldn't have gotten funding this time unless it was already basically ready to go but just needed that last push of testing. I can't imagine it got funded just to keep the joke running. If it were anything short of a practically already finished game, I am pretty sure they'd have no qualms just dropping it and never look back.

Yup, exactly. There were members of the 3drealms team hired to work on this with Gearbox too, so chances are it's going to be the game 3drealms wanted it to be.

What engine is it using? A hacked up version of Unreal 2.5? (not sarcasm)

I think that was the latest one it was *confirmed* to be using. I'm wondering about this because I'm curious if it will run in Linux.

Too bad it isn't the Doom 3 engine... *cries*

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I once saw a trailer for the quake2-version and it was pretty impressive what I saw, though most of it (or everything?) were scripted, I still would like very much to see what it is finally. And gearbox, aren´t that the guys who made 'Gunman', a Half-Life-mod? I´ll do a little google-search...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

It will be a sad day when DNF is released :/

It's been the troll that keeps giving for years.

I'll still give it a good ol Tiger fistpump on release, just because of that footage that came out with codename Whister. That was some a video on my sweet ass geforce256 pro, riding minecarts never looked better.

It will be a sad day when DNF is released :/

Yeah, like when Jesus comes back and everything goes sunshine-y and goodfolk get to curl up at his feet... purrs and happy sighs, frolics and frisbee-golf, circus-peanuts for breakfast, hazard-proof sparklers, cartwheels and caterpillars...

Then, after a few hours or days or millennia, what?

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

its taken forever because everytime a new engine came out they switched to it, then they had to re-do all the assets for the new engine, and sometimes had to re-do all the maps as the way the engines changed ment the old maps wouldn't work.

Hm.. They should have developed similar attitude towards engine change suggestions as in this forum. :blush:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.