The Dark Mod Forums

Nobleman Update

alan9000

i have been very busy over the last couple of months but now i should be able to put some time into this again. Here is a very quick test of how my zbrush normal map is working out . i am just posting it to let you know i am still working on the nobleman as i havn't posted for ages.

the technique of generating normal maps in zbrush is working great ...although i have not tryed it in the doom engine yet.

anyhow just to let you all know i am back on the job :Dnobleman_bump_progress.jpg

yea its buggy alright .. i have just started. i just wanted to do a very quick test to make sure the workflow between apps is ok . oddity ..you are right i will check it out just as soon as i have somthing a little more defined. when you done a test with zbrush did you not use world space rather than tangent ....?

so to test out my normal maps i need to get one inside doom ..thing is i have never used the doom editor ...can you guys point me in the right place for some good tutorials

cheers

:)

oddity ..you are right i will check it out just as soon as i have somthing a little more defined. when you done a test with zbrush did you not use world space rather than tangent ....?

so to test out my normal maps i need to get one inside doom ..thing is i have never used the doom editor ...can you guys point me in the right place for some good tutorials

cheers

:)

I can't remember the exact Zbrush workflow I tried to be honest, but it's just good practice to make sure things are working right in Doom before putting too much effort in. Usually things will ONLY work ONE way in Doom, do it another way and you're fucked.

I did the bow animations in Maya before testing them out in Doom, and then realised the bone hierarchy and parenting/pivot points I'd setup were wrong, and didn't work in Doom, so I had to rig, weight and animate the whole thing from scratch again)

Which 3d app are you coming from with your low poly model?

Wghatever, we're working in lightwave objects now, so at least download Deep Exploration from www.righthempisphere.com and convert you're model to .lwo

You can just put your model in as a static for now to look at it. I like to add a func_rotating and attach the model to that and set the speed to about 20 so I can see the lighting changes of the spec and normal map as it spins.

I wrote a tut in the tutorials section of this forum about getting models into Doom, and there's also a video tut I made which deals with normal mapping in Lightwave as well on the FTP.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

great ...i will check out those tutorials

i tend to use xsi for doing the polygon modeling and then texture in max as the normal map setup in xsi is a pain.

i just this moment finished playing a little bit of doom on my new system and noticed some very strange lighting effects from the normal maps ..half of the models were shaded very dark .. a strange line right down the center of the faces. i just updated my nvidia driver. guess i will have to sort this out first!

• 1 month later...

here are acouple of shots of the nobleman so far ..he now has all normal maps and colour maps. he has 5486 triangles. I am fairly pleased how the normal map from zbrush worked ..its a real pleasure sculpting in all the datails ....folds of fabric hair etc

now the big question is how will it look in game ..well i will sit down with one of odditys tutorials and try and work out how to do it.

I hope your ok with the colouration springheel ..i tried to make him as rich as possible ..thats why i have painted the fabrics to look like satin / silk.

noble_rendera2.jpg

noble_rendera1.jpg

It looks great Alan) 5.5 k is pretty heavy though, but I guess it's too late now to start reducing it onw. I'm not sure how you're goign to get it in the game from XSI. You either need to change it to a lwo or ase or use md5mesh exporters from max or maya.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Looks good, Alan. I'd thought you'd disappeared, actually. :)

I think the clothing looks great. The face and hair I'm not so sure about. I'd need to see them up closer, but the cheekbones look very stark.

yes ..i forgot to mention that most of the hair is going to be covered by the hat ..there is a bad area on top where all the uvs meet but like i say it will be covered ...cheekbones i would tend to agree i will adjust the normal map and see if they will look better. :)

Yup, he's lookig swanky enough alright. THe bright blue hat was a strange choice of colour though, given the red tunic and purple trousers.

I think it would look mich better if you used the jacket or pants fabric for the hat or made it neutral.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah, I agree with oDDIty about the hat. Otherwise, looking good! The face is looking much better. Any chance of a close-up?

• 4 weeks later...

here we go then .. a purple hat , its more in keeping with the rest of the costume.

i think i am just about done with this one so i need somthing else to model / texture ..do we need anymore buildings / enviroment stuff ? ..i could do another character but fancy somthing a bit differant for a while.

i know deep omega did tell me once and i cant find the post ... what is the complete address and what folder do i ftp the model and texture to :rolleyes:

nobleman_redhat.jpg

Alan, do you have an uv/skinning skills? Right now we have a ton of models that need skinning. We can use more models too, but if you can skin them that's a first priority. If not, I'll give you some models to do.

If you don't mind, might i make a suggestion, and take this for what it's worth because i can't actually see the model up close or anything, but are the eyes a seperate entity on this guy? They look like they're kinda a flat painted on texture with this right now.

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!