The Dark Mod Forums

Nobleman Update

alan9000

springheal .. yes i can do some skining but give me some more modeling as well. i would like to do a little building / enviroment stuff if possable. i always work best when i have a few things on the go at once.. then i don't get to bogged down in any one model :D

It's great that you've finished the model, but could you keep us more updated with your future projects? Just a post every week or so saying what you've done is fine.

But you know, engage! I know you might have a packed "real-life", so obviously don't let the mod get in the way of that, we'd just like to know you're still there most of the time!

• 2 weeks later...

here is a quick update.... well after hours and hours of trying to write material files in the doom ed ( first time i have ever writen any 'code ' stuff) i realised it makes a huge differance if those curly bracket things are the wrong way round...never mind it only took me two days to work it out ..how any one could enjoy writing shit like this for a living is beyond me! :lol:

nobleman_doom1.jpg

I hope the voice will be as fitting. :) As I see the guy, he should talk like somebody who has his nose in the air and sees down on everybody who is not nobly born. Of course I might do him wrong and he could be a rather nice person inside though. :)

Gerhard

Looks great. The face looks much better in this shot...could we see a close-up?

I'm not so sure...nobles generally would be wearing the most vibrant colours around. I'd have to see him in a map to tell if he'd look out of place.

hi guys ... I have put the nobleman on the ftp in a rar file next to odditys noblewoman, its in asc format. I have included the material files as well but i suppose they need to be altered to get it in game as i am sure i am probably not using the correct file structure.

Over the past few days i have been looking at nobleman and i dont think he is quite right ...the shadows dont look very good on him but i think its to do with the mesh rather than the normal map. i made a cube in doom with the nobleman texture and norm map applied and it looked ok but when its on the model it looks rough ..especially when you cast long shadows over him. i was wondering if the continuity angle was set correctly in max. or if in fact doom ' reads ' this information ... this is the first model i have ever put in a game engine so havn't really got a clue if its ok or not .

when you get a chance load him up and see what you think

cna we put images on this forum again now .. or have they been removed for good?

I constantly check my models in doom while I'm texturing them. It's the only way to know what you're doing is right, otherwise it's just a series of unconnected bitmaps of spec, normal, height and colour.

I'll take a look at this.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Several things:

YOu haven't made a specular or heghtmap for the model. This means you're not taking full advantage of the renderer. I made two rudamentary ones from the colour image and put them on the FTP.

You'll need to use this shader

models/mymodels/nobleman
{
noselfshadow

diffusemap          models/mymodels/nobleman_d.tga
bumpmap  addnormals(models/mymodels/nobleman_local.tga, heightmap( 

models/mymodels/nobleman_h.tga, 3 ) )

specularmap        models/mymodels/nobleman_s.tga
}

make a folder called mymodels in your models directory and put the lightwave model and textures in it.

Also, you don't need to make a qer_editor image or put it in the shader, doom will just use the first image in the shader.

You've been painting shadows and highlights on your texture, but you don't need to do that for doom, just paint it flat, and the specualr is produced by doom according to the spec, normal and heightmaps.

Also notice the 'noselfshadow' line I put at the start of the shader, you need this to stop the model casting a shaow on itself, which is what your problem was.

I had to change the size of the model as well, since it was the height of a child in doom, I'm not sure if that's becasue of the max units you modeled it in.

The best way to see it in the game is to add a func_rotating to the map and attach this model to it, setting the speed to about 20.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• 1 month later...