The Dark Mod Forums

TDM versus TDS

Bikerdude

Until now I never felt boring in any of TDM-missions. Did you played the contest-missions? The summer-contest I mean! You can literally smell TDM-FMs increasing their quality. Then go back to early Thief-FM´s, not to the latest, that´s not fair. Quality takes time to develop, and I´m happy to see it happening right now! :)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

you better check scripted events thats posible make in DromEd.I saw very easy scripted events in TDM.

look at ai in tdm:this just a dols for knocking out.

dont matter how beauty tdm,missions still looks boring and monotonously.

I'm going to go ask Springheel to change your forum title to "Oblivious Man." :(

Concerning scripted events, open up NHAT 2/3's pk4. I wrote nearly 600 lines of custom AI code to run during the mission. Need a script event that's not there? Thief needs unreliable third party hacks for greater scripting flexibility. We have an SDK, and can bed any event we want right into the game dll.

Suppose one perfectly recreates the fantastic Thief FM Rose Cottage (which is possible - we know the DromEd - D3 unit conversion). Suppose s|he perfectly recreates its scripted events (which is possible via the SDK). Would that still be boring and monotonous? No. Get the vuvuzela out of your mouth, and explain precisely how you are defining 'looks boring' and 'looks monotonous'. Without imitating a skipping record, please.

I apologize if it seems that I'm picking on you, but you are practically begging for it on our own forum. -_- TDM isn't even a year past its beta release, and we're consistently getting better.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I think Shadowhide is just grousing about the fact that he was belittled for not knowing how to adjust the editor lag in Dark Radiant (I suspect he still doesn't understand...) And maybe he's just a little grumpy about the learning curve in general. He shouldn't get off "scott-free" for his poor attitude but I think he needs to be reminded that this community will help if he has questions and there is no need to lash out to protect your pride. Even the veterans regularly post in the "Newbie" Dark Radiant thread.

If his hardware can't handle the mod, that's just sour-grapes and he'll just have to learn to accept it or pay for the new hardware. That's no excuse to bad-mouth this project.

At least when I whine about my low-ender status I fully own-up to the fact that since Doom 3 is scalable that it's perfectly possible that a well designed and optimized FM wont run on my hardware. (I just hope that it's not true and the author made some mistake that can be magically fixed ;) ...).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

For large maps the rendering performance of DarkRadiant can be poor, depending on your system. Use this to give DarkRadiant a small powerup:

Got to Edit -> Preferences and then select Orthoview and make sure the Update Views on Camera Move is unchecked.

Disabling this option will stop camera movement from triggering an update of the orthoviews, which is expensive.

Yeah, unless he's griping about something else, I'd say the above wiki excerpt should fix his issue...

Hey thanks. I didn't know about this boost thingy. I usually set layers when things get slowish.

As for Shadowhide, his posts look like your typical textbook troll. But hey, his feedback partially resulted in the discussion which greatly improved my metal-medal-model (sorry I just had to. I blame the fever.)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I dont want to let down anyone here.I know darkmod developers made great work.

But some guys dont respect(and maybe never played) classic Thief games.darkmod cool,ambitious and intresting,but I never stop playing original Thief games Fm's,cause they still more intresting for me.

Tdm looks missions monotonous because they same as two drops of water,nothing original in them

Proceed with caution!

But some guys dont respect(and maybe never played) classic Thief games.darkmod cool,ambitious and intresting,but I never stop playing original Thief games Fm's,cause they still more intresting for me.

Tdm looks missions monotonous because they same as two drops of water,nothing original in them

The core developers were all Thief fans. Why do you think we made Darkmod? We highly respected the 'classic' Thief games...Thief 1 and 2 were our inspiration.

It appears that he's taking a swipe at the mission authors rather than the mod.

If so, please provide a better example with your own mission Shadowhide.

Thanks.

Just because there are skilled FM authors doesn't mean you can't make an FM that suit's your own personal taste. Even if it isn't as technically adept as the veteran's work, it may provide a good example of how things would be done according to your personal style.

It may take time but the best things often do.

I happen to find the missions created thus far to be very diverse (I'm sorry that you don't agree) but that is no reason to believe that the mod cannot be made to produce something that you like or that another author wont come along and make something that suits you.

If you don't like;

The Models: Make new ones

The Animations: Make new ones

The Textures: New ones are arriving but you may still create your own

The Lighting: Use the Strombine method and bake it.

The AI: Write your own AI scripts

Maybe you're right and you'll never see an FM author who creates something you like and you'll never be able to fulfill your own vision with Dark Radiant. That's your own personal problem and has nothing to do with the FM authors or this Mod.

Constructive criticism would go a long way to help FM authors to see your point. But so far your posts have been nothing but general gripes. If you can't explain yourself in English, please post in your native tongue but make sure it's more specific than a metaphor about rain-drops :laugh:

Edited by nbohr1more

[...]nothing original in them

Interesting remark. There is nothing original in Komag's Swing? Return to the City and the Glenham Tower look like two water droplets? These maps are more like two snowflakes if you want to use analogues. They're both on the same engine and from the same assets, but everything else is different.

I definately would LOVE to see your TDM FM dripping with originality and deviance.

Show us who's boss by making a TDM map, or provide more details and grounds why you think the maps are similar. Otherwise you're probably going to be dealt with like a common troller.

Clipper

he was belittled

I'd argue against that. The guy carries on like a troll (and an uninformed one at that) and gets what he has coming. Sometimes a little bit of not-neighborly bluntness oDDity-style is just right, especially for someone who chooses to carry on in a hostile manner to start.

He stays here solely to drop provoking unsubstantiated one-liner complaints. Frankly, people should stop feeding this troll.

I was giving him a little leeway (probably an understatement :laugh: ) as it appears that he's not a native English speaker but he certainly could be a full-blown troll.

I've had my say.

If Shadowhide can't respond intelligently then so be it.

I think we've all played AND respect the originals. lol. TDM is loosely (as far as we can legally) based upon the looks and gameplay of the Thief series. Most respectfully the look and feel of the TDP over the latters.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't still play the originals, we still do.

But saying that TDM missions are all alike (which isn't true, they are all pretty different) or all all boring is just assanine. It has no basis in reality, it is all subjective. All books are the same too ya know, they all have a cover, and pages inside with alot of words.

But your posts ARE all boring and say the same exact thing.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Frankly, people should stop feeding this troll.

Agreed.

If Shadowhide can't respond intelligently then so be it.

I just got a though: what if he is actually an IT. A cleverly programmed forum bot, fabricating complaints from a big list of key words?

Tels or some other coders are pulling a prank on us poor mappers! ;)

It's time for a big conspiracy theory. :ph34r:

Clipper

I dont know why people hate me,but first look at yourself's.I dont offended anyone,you do

I don't hate you, but I can see how your statements would be taken in a bad way. You don't appear to be a native English speaker...and that can create a lot of confusion, especially given your choice of words. :) I'm sure I could easily offend a lot of people if I tried posting on a forum in your native language. :laugh:

In any case, I think it's a bit early to be judging TDM missions too harshly. Mappers are still learning the tools. The days of TDM missions are still early, and just like missions for the classic games, we'll see more variety and improvement as the months go by.

Very good. This thread is a superb jackass filter. Shadowhide hereby joins aidakeeley on the ol' ignore list.

:laugh:

I've a bit of "troll" in me I suppose... Because I do so love to irk the Urkels.

Shadowhide hasn't been directing his criticism at the FMs, no, but at TDM itself - very clearly at the whole shebang.

But either way the criticism is ludicrous.

TDM is superior to Thief. And there is no bigger Thief fan here than I.

Any FM made in TDM will be superior to same said FM in the tired, old game... I'd bet this would hold true even if the time taken in DR was half of that in Dromed. At this stage even... and every day assets and tools and engine tweaks are being improved in big ways.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Oh, yeah, I am a big fan of TDM.

Like I said, there is no bigger fan of Thief amongst us either. But I grew tired of the old gem. And of the FMs for the most part. And I certainly don't find "replay" worthwhile. It just bores me silly.

But with TDM, there is so much improved in the mechanics. And so much potential for expanding the gameplay. And it's much better looking. And things get better every day.

Yeah, I'm a big fan, thanks.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

On topic:

TDS wasn't so horrible. But I'd not reinstall (if I had ever uninstalled it) to play a FM unless it was being raved about by all the "right people" ( ;) )

TDM is clearly the best incarnation of a base for building "Thiefy" FMs! All hail and, please, all ye builders, throw down your ancient tools and come and take up the new set and build ye new glories!

T1 and 2 were awesome, epic and simply the best games ever. But I "'Tis Was" (actually off topic a bit)