The Dark Mod Forums

New Contest?

TheBigTaffer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the beginning a few of us challenged ourselves to build a small mission -- like 15-20 rooms -- in just one month. I think that's a good challenge for anyone starting to learn ... you learn fast and you get a full FM finished and released. So I recommend it; I was happy I did it. But of course people can do it any way they like.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I study for this on this days. Need more time. I know TDM one week ago...

You've known TDM only one week and you've played over 30 missions? There is no way we can keep up with your appetite and free time so yes I recommend you start making your own FMs. Try to make 29 a week please and the rest of us will try to produce the other one. :laugh:

I've actually been wondering what a new contest would be about. "Vertical" was a good idea, but I personally would love to see more mansion missions. Obviously you couldn't have a "Best Mansion" contest, because most people would get bored/turned off of that constant environment. Vertical was a good idea, because it gave the mappers freedom to build whatever environment they wanted, while still maintaining similarities throughout the missions. Maybe we should start brainstorming ideas for a future contest.

My vote is for "Best usage of ambient sounds".

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Ah OK. Then let me welcome you to the community and have fun with mapping, if I understood you correctly... :)

Thank you!

At the beginning a few of us challenged ourselves to build a small mission -- like 15-20 rooms -- in just one month. I think that's a good challenge for anyone starting to learn ... you learn fast and you get a full FM finished and released. So I recommend it; I was happy I did it. But of course people can do it any way they like.

Thanks for advisesmile.gif

You've known TDM only one week and you've played over 30 missions?

Yes! Thief is my Drugs (TDP wub.gifand TMA wub.gif) (TDSblush.gif) but The Dark Mod is my"Second Life"!!! I love this mod!

I've actually been wondering what a new contest would be about. "Vertical" was a good idea, but I personally would love to see more mansion missions. Obviously you couldn't have a "Best Mansion" contest, because most people would get bored/turned off of that constant environment. Vertical was a good idea, because it gave the mappers freedom to build whatever environment they wanted, while still maintaining similarities throughout the missions. Maybe we should start brainstorming ideas for a future contest.

My vote is for "Best usage of ambient sounds".

Me too i like House and Mansion location, i prefer total-stealth mission (like no kill and no blackjack anyone) but my vote is for best usage of lightsmile.gif. IMHO is much important component of this game.

Edited by TheBigTaffer

Argh, by the time I finish two missions, this little nasty finlandier will "finnish" a world of mansions. :laugh:

BTW, are you referring to the map in your personal thread?

Yeah, captain Knightons manor aka Porter 1. I've made great progress this weekend and I'm rather confident I get it released shortly after the new TDM version rolls out. Whenever that occurs, I dunno.

After this mission I'm gonna take a long break from mapping. Three map contributions per year is definately enough for me.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Snow... now there's an idea! I can picture a large mansion mission somewhere up in the hills away from the city... where the only night sounds are the raging wind and possibly some very soft music. The player could be tasked with breaking in and retrieving something, or assassinating another character.

For the record, I think the best snow environment ever in a game was that level from Goldeneye 007 in the dark outside the bunker. The music and sound of wind really make you feel like you're there when playing with headphones on.

Imagine being inside the mansion and hearing the wind outside... possibly shutters banging too. Sadly, I don't really have the patience to map.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Christmas theme would be nice, but I have the feeling that these sorts of themes (Xmas, Halloween) are going to come naturally anyway.

I'd like to see a Sunlight contest, where every mission has to take place completely in daytime. There were a few daytime missions made in TDP and TMA (Stowaway was one that really shows how good a thief mission can look in sunlight).

Uhm boring? ;) I'd say 30% of the released maps until now fit in the specified dimensions. But since we're all throwing out ideas for new contest themes, I'd like to see an "Innovation contest", forcing mappers to go in new directions and be creative. "Innovation" is not imited to just gameplay, but can also be a very cool new scenery or a mind-blowing story. A contest like that should be setup with a way bigger timeline of course, because creativity can't be forced and good results take their time. The vote weights would have to be altered: e.g. 2 or 3 for "Innovative Elements", 1 for "Visual Appearance" and 1 for "Story and Gameplay". This however would be no good contest for newcomers.

I'll throw in some contest theme suggestions as well:

• Private property heist (Mansions, towers)
  • Public property heist (Banks, churches, museums)
  • Dark secret (Otherwise free mapping, but the story should involve a dark secret (with grave ramifications) the player uncovers)
  • Water contest (water should be the contest theme: innovative use of water)
  • Puzzle Mystery (The map should involve at least one brain teaser)
  • "Make The Killer Mission" (Enitirely free mapping where the most fun map wins)
  • Mechanical Nirvana (A map where emphasis is on victorian age steamworks)
  • Movie Land (The maps should have special elements relying on cutscenes or conversations. Mission is about eavesdropping etc.)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Hmm, sounds all interesting. I like the ***"story theme" aspect.

also the ***"Dark secret" seems cool where you don't know from the start what's going on at the map (compared to a mansion mission)

but also the Water contest, Puzzle Mystery (The map should involve at least one brain teaser) and the most contest I would like is the "Movie Land" ;) ;) but I think there would be only little mappers. (but after such contest mappers are better in making cutscenes and for next maps there could easier make them )

Well, up to now many tdm assets are overused. Still it's possible to make very good missions, hovewer with new assets player will be able to enjoy discovering much more. Since tdm needs new assets, it's a great opportunity to get them with a contest that requies prefabs(easy), particles(easy, needs trial&error), sounds(needs a recoder), models(needs time to learn), textures(needs time to learn). Although I'm totally newbie on modelling, a few weeks ago I made a low poly statue using Sculptris that's going to use one of the tdm stone textures. See? It can be even partially a new asset. I don't know how to import it into darkmod but there is a kind community in here to help and there are tutorials made by arcturus that I haven't check. I think it's better to model something that won't need complex texturing experience.

So what do you think? A new contest won't be start soon and if it'll be a long term contest, then there'll be enough time for mappers to learn how-to and create a few new assets for their missions.

We could always do a 'beauty contest'.

These missions in T2 didn't have gameplay factors really. And alot didn't have great FPS. But it would be a cool contest to get people to focus soley on building techniques and making TDM look as good as possible.

Would be like showcase maps where everyone could examine them and give ideas for how to do interesting architecture, lighting, weather, etc..

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest