The Dark Mod Forums

New Contest?

TheBigTaffer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm.. Last time the discussion died after a long talk about beauty contest.

I skimmed through the thread and collected the suggestions I saw easily so that they are not forgotten:

• Best usage of ambient sounds
  • House and Mansion location
  • Snow
  • Sunlight contest
  • horizontal mission
  • Private property heist (Mansions, towers)
  • Public property heist (Banks, churches, museums)
  • Dark secret (Otherwise free mapping, but the story should involve a dark secret (with grave ramifications) the player uncovers)
  • Water contest (water should be the contest theme: innovative use of water)
  • Puzzle Mystery (The map should involve at least one brain teaser)
  • "Make The Killer Mission" (Enitirely free mapping where the most fun map wins)
  • Mechanical Nirvana (A map where emphasis is on victorian age steamworks)
  • Movie Land (The maps should have special elements relying on cutscenes or conversations. Mission is about eavesdropping etc.)
  • beauty contest
  • The Chain Project (successive authors would take the unfinished mission and contribute to it in some way.)
  • seasons
  • 3D painting to demonstrate how good TDM can look
  • Physics

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Also this thread had been mainly about people telling which kind of contest they would prefer.

It would be of benefit to ask it like this:

All mappers! Do you have time or interest towards a mapping contest at this time? If so, which kind of theme would You prefer?

My answer to this question is:

I might have time to do something really tiny and simple (not a winning mission). Or if the theme is chosen nicely for my benefit, I could maybe release my current work in the scope of the contest.

My theme preferences:

most all of the above will do except: 3D painting, Chain project, beauty contest, sunlight.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I like the Dark Secret theme, as some missions still lack in a really good story and immersion for that matter. To expand on the theme: It could also simply be a good story with a cool turning point (which to me was the only thing I felt that was missing in Flakebridge Monastery) or player character evolvement.

Movie Land made me think about an FM set in or somehow based on a famous movie or story, which I think would be fun. (I saw this as a contest theme for Tomb Raider FMs once with great results.)

I think it would be cool to see a contest based on setting too, and like the steampunk one for that reason. Something that requires imagination and it's interesting to see how different people have different visions. The dark secret one might be another good way to explore that.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm afraid not, since it looks like not many mappers are interested in this. Hopefully later.

I am rolleyes.gif

Would be nice to start a new mission and try to keep it very small. My current project is developing and unfolding like mould on a cheese; Hard to see the start and end and hard to get a grip of tongue.gif

But I WILL persevere!

My 0,02 on this topic

If needed i'd vote for these:

• Dark secret (Otherwise free mapping, but the story should involve a dark secret (with grave ramifications) the player uncovers)
  • Water contest (water should be the contest theme: innovative use of water)
  • Puzzle Mystery (The map should involve at least one brain teaser)
  • Mechanical Nirvana (A map where emphasis is on victorian age steamworks)
  • 3D painting to demonstrate how good TDM can look
  • Physics

Especially the last one...

:laugh:

Edited by Ladro

Those are all great ideas Ladro.

A mechanical nirvana - a lot can be done with patches and brushwork and the textures and models we already have without new models.

The 3D painting is another idea I was thinking of a single area where the mapper just goes to town to make it as good as he/she can irrespective of performance. I had some ideas for a wood, stream, pool thing. Of course this idea does not result in any playable FMs unless perhaps they can be joined together.

I won't have time to enter the contest or even organize it as I am busy with several tasks over the next few months at least.

But the way to do it is this:

Two or three or more of you have to come to some agreement about the type of contest. Such an agreement does not exclude the other ideas at a later date.

It's best then to choose one person to manage it or at least have the final say or you can discuss forever and never agree.

You then invite participants leaving it open as to when it begins so you get some idea how many might join in over the next few weeks/months. Then you get an idea when it can start and how many. Only then can you know if there will be enough or not or if it needs delaying a few months.

You thrash out the specific rules and start/end time.