grayman

I can carve out some time to help with any of the following:

a - voices

b - programming

c - scripting

d - sound effects

e - textures

Resume:

a - english and german voices for "Degeneration", a Return to Castle Wolfenstein mod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYVJVsBJaMY. The voice in that video is my "southern accent General". See the Cutscene Wiki downloads (snitch.zip (Part 1) and vault.zip (Part 5)) for other samples.

b,c - C professionally since 1982, C++, Obj-C, and C# as they came online, scripting here and there. 5 years of C on an unreleased game ("Suspension") based on the Quake engine, covering all areas of the software.

d - sound editing of >400 songs (music, sfx) for a dance studio, sfx for Degeneration

e - no real background in textures, just a strong interest in creating new ones. You can see some of my Photoshop work here: http://www.gather.co...281474977174550 and here: http://www.gather.co...281474977817845

I've attached a couple pieces of my artwork.

post-3633-128517272151_thumb.jpg

post-3633-128517274959_thumb.jpg

And I created my forum icon using POV-Ray.

I don't know what's most needed, but I'd be happy to help out in whatever capacity I can.

Edited by grayman

Well, there is some hidden potential among us, it seems. ;)

We can always use another hand to help with coding, there is the SDK code (with a huge backlog of bugs), there is DarkRadiant (which can always be improved in terms of features - you know that as a mapper) and there is general scripting, def editing, cleanup, improvements in all parts of the mod.

You won't be able to do everything, even with massive amounts of freetime, so is there any field you're particularly interested in?

As greebo said, we could really use help in coding in general, plus cleanup on textures/artwork etc. New stuff is welcome, too, but I think that tying up all the lose-ends would be better time spent. Selecting an area is probably best, tho.

I wil try to answer any questions you might have.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

How about if I take a look at the bug list? Pick a few (seemingly) small non-enhancements to get used to the process and learn the code structure.

In the long run, perhaps a look at the AI. There are a few bugs filed against them. I've worked with id-based AI code before.

I have the TDM 1.02 sources. Should I update them with the current pre-1.03 version? If so, how do I do that?

I'll need some instructions on checkout/checkin from/to the official version trunk.

Looking forward to it, thanks!

In the long run, perhaps a look at the AI. There are a few bugs filed against them. I've worked with id-based AI code before.

That would be fantastic! :)

How about if I take a look at the bug list? Pick a few (seemingly) small non-enhancements to get used to the process and learn the code structure.

I have the TDM 1.02 sources. Should I update them with the current pre-1.03 version? If so, how do I do that?

I'll need some instructions on checkout/checkin from/to the official version trunk.

Looking forward to it, thanks!

You need to get an SVN account from sparhawk, please sent him a PM with you prefered username, and passwort, he will enable it for you.

As for the v1.03, I don't think there have been that many changes, and most of them are pretty self-contained, so you might as well start with the v1.02 base. It is probably 99% the same :)

If you fix/change anything, you can either:

* wait for SVN access, then check your changes directly in. Someone will usually follow them and have a look, if you break anything, you get to own both halves, and its your responsible to fix it :) (Usually others just step in and fix things on their own, tho, but we have little people working, so it might not happen immidiately. But if you break f.i. linux compile, I usually either complain or fix it the next day because I need a working compile :)

* or send us a "diff -u" patch which we review and then check in.

Since you are unfamiliar with the source, it might also be a good idea if you have a fix for something, that you first post on the forum and present your idea. (you probably have lots of questions, anyway :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I made you a Contributor in the meantime. You'll have access to the internal forums this way and you can read a bit in the meantime until sparhawk sets up your SVN account.

A small bug is of course the best way to get your feet wet, although it's always somewhat harder to read existing code and fix it.

I've recently had a conversation with Baal regarding "easy" bugs, and here are some suggestions:

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=2228 (Lantern Bot + Water Arrow = crash)

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1905 (A Shop extension)

I've recently had a conversation with Baal regarding "easy" bugs, and here are some suggestions:

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=2228 (Lantern Bot + Water Arrow = crash)

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1905 (A Shop extension)

Ok, I'll look at these.

Apart from yourself, who else works on the code?

Programming Division

greebo (Coding Lead, Mapper)

"Age: 29, graduate student in the field of Technical Physics (organic electronics). A Thief fan ever since. Currently coding on all kinds of stuff like AI, physics, GUIs and the DarkRadiant editor (together with OrbWeaver)."

sparhawk (Coder)

Gerhard W. Gruber - "Married, three kids. A computer freak since about 1983 and a professional programmer since 1991, working currently for a telecommunication company as a software developer, project manager, functional responsible, kind of business analyst and SLS lead. Somehow I lost track of all the computers and languages I learned, since most of them I havn't really used much, except in school, so the only ones really still counting are SQL, 80x86 assembly and C/C++."

Ishtvan (Coder)

Born: 1981. Ishtvan is a graduate student in the field of physical science, and occasionally programs simulations as part of that job. Brought Sound Propagation into the game and is currently working on finishing the Melee Combat System.

Crispy (Coder)

"Crispy is a computer science student at the Australian National University who dreams of someday escaping the clutches of academia. When not plotting his escape, he's been helping out with various programming tasks, almost all of which involve AI."

OrbWeaver (Coder)

"DarkRadiant project lead and (very) small-time modeller/mapper. Outside the Dark Mod I am an office-based wage slave and amateur pianist."

angua (Coder, Mapper)

"Age: 29, graduate engineer (technical physics). Started as beta mapper, working together with greebo on The Dead Gathers map, which is now one of the largest maps of the mod. Has moved on to AI coding since half a year (door handling, searching behaviour, altert states, AI optimisation). Enjoys playing the bass and volleyball when not mapping. The first Dark Mod girl!"

Tels (Coder)

Tels is a computer programmer at day and a dark modder at night. He's done the packaging scripts and oversight for the first two releases, Thief's Den and Saint Lucia. When not cleaning up, fixing bugs or documenting things, he writes support scripts, like the new documentation GUI, as well as works on in-game entities like the new extinguishable light system.

(This may save some time... but I suspect that the real list is a little different than the official listing... ) :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Apart from yourself, who else works on the code?

In theory, the list as given on the website, although these times this list is serving rather as "credits". And it is outdated, I'm two years older by now. :)

Angua is still there, but doesn't have much freetime anymore, since little Alex arrived. OrbWeaver is occasionally working on DarkRadiant. Crispy and sparhawk have not been coding since quite a while. Ishtvan got a new Job and moved, and is not logging on very often these times.

Basically, it's boiling down to Tels and me, but (partially due to motivational burnout) all my TDM time went into DarkRadiant coding and mapping.

Yes, there is no such thing as beta mapper anymore even though the forum group still exists - in principle all TDM mappers are beta mappers. We used to have Team Mappers (jdude, Flanders, Angua and Dram), but activity has pretty much stopped. Jdude quit, Flanders went after a dispute, Angua is working together with me on own projects and Dram is popping in occassionally to work on Blackheart. That leaves Fidcal who is running his ass off in helping the TDM Editor's Guild.

In theory, the list as given on the website, although these times this list is serving rather as "credits". And it is outdated, I'm two years older by now. :)

Angua is still there, but doesn't have much freetime anymore, since little Alex arrived. OrbWeaver is occasionally working on DarkRadiant. Crispy and sparhawk have not been coding since quite a while. Ishtvan got a new Job and moved, and is not logging on very often these times.

Basically, it's boiling down to Tels and me, but (partially due to motivational burnout) all my TDM time went into DarkRadiant coding and mapping.

There is also J.C.Denton, who did all the HDR work.

Also, I think "some time" is an understatement regarding sparhawk, he hasn't committed anything in nearly 6 years :)

The only two revisions I can find both occured maybe 3 or 4 years before I even joined the team:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
r6 | sparhawk | 2004-10-30 18:54:32 +0200 (Sat, 30 Oct 2004) | 2 lines

Workspace settings fixed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
r2 | sparhawk | 2004-10-30 17:52:07 +0200 (Sat, 30 Oct 2004) | 2 lines

Initial revision

:) However, Spar still runs our SVN server and we are really glad for this :)

Then there is "Mortem Desino", who always offered insight, worked on the NHAT missions, and I am not sure, but might also have helped out a as coder. Unfortunately, he now works a 10h-per-day job and has no longer any free time AFAIK.

Yes but sparhawk developed the original lockpick code which was, let's see, in 2008? So there's probably some other back door not showing. :laugh:

Maybe he did the checkins under another name? I also thought it would be a bit odd that he didn't work after revision 6 (which is basically stoneage :)

Great to see you may be getting involved with the code grayman. That is very good news.

True :)