The Dark Mod Forums

Care for some vocals?

Weasel

Yes, all vocals need to be in mono format.

I don't know why that happened, but it was not the recording set up I'll be using to do the real thing. As a matter of fact, I just got a quick lesson on the setup I will be using and did a few test recordings. Springheel, should I send you my test so you can tell me if the sound quality and file format are ok? I saved as a wav, 24 bit, mono, 44 kHz. For some reason, Media Player played it too fast when I tried that just now, but it was ok in Quicktime. I also have a FLAC version. I just need to know where to send it...

Springheel, should I send you my test so you can tell me if the sound quality and file format are ok

Probably a good move.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe as good a time as any to lobby for a few more small talk conversation sets that the player could overhear (about kitchen matters, city events, or problems at work/court for noblemen (could be talking to himself), etc.);

A set of greets from neutral AI towards the player could also be nice, things like "Evening friend... (realises the sword and equipement) ...I want no trouble..."; "Could you spare a coin my lord?"; "May the builder protect you my child (priest) /stranger (pious folk)"; "Please, leave me in peace"; "I have no time, friend / for the likes of you (noble)", "Good evening, sir, my name is Lady Evelyn, and you? (ladies)", etc.

And a new set of sounds for characters that recognize the player (a "villain" character) - this could work for A score to settle, Thieves or Above the City - the character knows the player from previous situations and instead of generic taunts, could say things like "You?! Here?!", "What do YOU want from me, you devil?!", "How dare you, of all people, come here/challenge me?", or "Oh, I've been wainting to get my revenge on you/get my hands on you for a long time...", etc, etc. Maybe an old man set for Scientists and Builder priests and a young one for Thugs, Thieves and Guards?

Edited by RPGista

A set of greets from neutral AI towards the player could also be nice, things like "Evening friend... (realises the sword and equipement) ...I want no trouble..."; "Could you spare a coin my lord?"; "May the builder protect you my child (priest) /stranger (pious folk)"; "Please, leave me in peace"; "I have no time, friend / for the likes of you (noble)", "Good evening, sir, my name is Lady Evelyn, and you? (ladies)", etc.

These already exist (except for specific names like Evelyn). Although the mapper would need to set the AI up to greet the player (either through triggers or conversation entities).

betpet: Here's an example of a vocal script on the wiki (it's slightly out of date but still reasonably accurate). Feel free to pick a few different types of lines. http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Vocal_Script:_Average_Jack