The Dark Mod Forums

Joint 'Hips' not found

Nosslak

I've got problems starting some missions and TDM seems to report that it can't find the hip joints. Here's the full message: " Joint 'Hips' not found for attachment position 'hip_sheath_L' on entity 'atdm_ai_builder_guard_1'". I have tried updating via tdm_update but it won't update anything as it thinks everything's up-to-date. What should I do?

Here's my specs:

- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

- AMD 965 Phenom II x4 3.4 GHz

- 4 gb DDR2 RAM

- nVidia GTX 275

- DirectX 11

- Every video setting except AA is maxed out at a resolution of 1920*1200.

Also when I open doors the game will very often stand completely still for maybe 0.5 to 1 seconds, which, as you might understands, more or less destroys all kinds of immersion. What to do?

are you current with 1.02? that would be the first thing I'd think of. also since you said the map i sent was missing things.

the open door hickup might be related to textures loading, when you go open a new area with new textures that's when they load (the visportal at the door opens)

but that should only happen if you are maxing out gpu ram (i assume you have at least 512mb which should be plenty)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

It certainly sounds like TDM is not updating properly. If you have plenty of bandwidth and don't mind downloading again this is what I suggest: Create a new empty temp folder anywhere and start a completely new download. When finished you should have a darkmod folder in it and all the files which you can copy over to your doom install. You might want to rename your old darkmod folder first for reference or else delete it or just copy and overwrite the files.

The door lag may well be texture's loading as Baddcog says or it might be an EAX problem:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Game_freezes_for_several_seconds_when_opening_doors

are you current with 1.02? that would be the first thing I'd think of. also since you said the map i sent was missing things.

I have tried updating via tdm_update but it won't update anything as it thinks everything's up-to-date.

The main menu also say that I've got 1.02.

the open door hickup might be related to textures loading, when you go open a new area with new textures that's when they load (the visportal at the door opens)

but that should only happen if you are maxing out gpu ram (i assume you have at least 512mb which should be plenty)

Yeah, I think I've got 896 mb but quite often I've got Photoshop or Blender open when I play TDM so it might be those that are eating my memory.

For some reason TDM won't render the main menu correctly anymore either (I hear sounds and music but see no pretty pictures). I'll re-download the mod and see how that goes.

There are a number of different things that can cause that error, but most of them have to do with ai .def files. A common trigger is a .def file referencing an animation that doesn't exist.

I've recently gotten a missing joint error similar to that from using a single custom .def file and changing a few head bob values... re-downloaded and now it works. Not sure what causes it.

I re-downloaded and it seems to work on at least one map that I got the error on before, but I still can't play NHAT 2 because of it.

There are a number of different things that can cause that error, but most of them have to do with ai .def files. A common trigger is a .def file referencing an animation that doesn't exist.

I tried NHAT2 with a clean TDM but that didn't help, I still can't play it.

Also for some reason I often have to click the start button in the objectives screen twice because first the mission loads as usual and then for some reason it just resets back to the object screen so I'll have to start the mission again which means I'll have to load it again too. How should I fix this?

Edited by Nosslak

No other official "right" way, no.

It sounds like there's a rogue DLL lurking about somewhere. Like a gamex86.dll in your doom 3 "/base/" directory, maybe a gamex86.dll or tdm_game01.pk4 in your regular Doom 3 directory, when they should only be in the "darkmod" folder.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

You should be able to safely search for all gamex86.dll's in doom3/ and subdirectories and delete them all. They will be extracted when needed.

However I think I might have got you using doom3.exe to launch Noss... just check that out. I dont use my windowed/test shortcut for playing FM's tho.

It sounds like there's a rogue DLL lurking about somewhere. Like a gamex86.dll in your doom 3 "/base/" directory, maybe a gamex86.dll or tdm_game01.pk4 in your regular Doom 3 directory, when they should only be in the "darkmod" folder.

You should be able to safely search for all gamex86.dll's in doom3/ and subdirectories and delete them all. They will be extracted when needed.

I did find one gamex86 in Dooms Base folder which I removed and now it seems that I can play NHAT 2 (I have been able to start it once, might've just got lucky). For some reason baddcogs machine testmap have decided that it's missing joints again, even though it worked yesterday.

However I think I might have got you using doom3.exe to launch Noss... just check that out. I dont use my windowed/test shortcut for playing FM's tho.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I'm just using tdmlauncher to start without any fancy parameters, when I'm starting my testmap I just edit the currentfm to my mapname and starts the map via the console after dmapping.

Edited by Nosslak

Where'd that machine test map come from? Is it one Baddcog made in SVN. From memory did he not post a def to solve the water bug? Maybe that won't work with the release? If so, delete that def. The bug will be resolved with the next update.

I think that might be the SVN one, but I have no way to be sure as I don't have SVN access. Anyway, he only included one .def file and that seems to be for the mechanical stuff, but just to be sure I changed the file extension to .def2 but the same problem still occurred.

no, that map is actually from my hd as I hadn't yet updated it to SVN.

The included def is just for mechanical things : ie:moving gears entities.

The map contains one guard (for sound alert purposes that aren't set-up yet)

I included most of the items that are 1.03 specific (gears,print press) but forgot the steam whistle (just a model and lever model).

Does not include the lantern bot.

(maps folder, def folder, models folder) no dll's or anything.

------

but like he said after update it worked, after dll thing he just did it doesn't again.???

If that test map only works properly under SVN assets/code then just make a test map yourself and create a bot with the release assets. If that is OK then don't worry about it.

I'll try this tonight, thanks!

but like he said after update it worked, after dll thing he just did it doesn't again.???

Yeah, that's what it seems like.

got a similiar error to nosslak while loading an fm with 'map'

Joint 'Head' not found for attachment position 'velvetcap_1' on entity 'idAFAttachment_atdm:ai_head_base_4376'

this was preceded by close to 100 messages similar to this:

WARNING: Door VaultDoor11 is not within a valid AAS area

interestingly near the beginning of console output, i saw this:

[Load AAS]
loading maps/otc/otc.aas32
done

and i'm absolutely positive theres nothing wrong with that file because it was compiled by someone else who didn't run into this problem.

heres a few more warnings i got that i don't normally see:

WARNING: idAFBody::SetDensity: center of mass (0 0 0) not at origin (-0.000001, 0.01xxxxx, -0.03xxxx) for body 'CMeleeWeapon_atdm:moveable_dagger_28880'

WARNING: Could not find def_vocal_set entityDef atdm:ai_vocal_set_jack_gaurd_01!

WARNING: LocationSeparator 'info_tunnel2' didn't contact a portal

so anyway, that joint error came up and threw me back to the TDM main menu. probably the first time i've ever received an error while mapping, as opposed to dmapping. any ideas?

got a similiar error to nosslak while loading an fm with 'map'

Joint 'Head' not found for attachment position 'velvetcap_1' on entity 'idAFAttachment_atdm:ai_head_base_4376'

This is usually using an AI that isn't working (I always forget if this are the proguards, the elite guards, the pro elite, elite pro, elite gold member pro swat guards or whatever, tho). Check all guards, esp. their head attachements. (By removing one b one?)

this was preceded by close to 100 messages similar to this:

WARNING: Door VaultDoor11 is not within a valid AAS area

I see these alot, but I have no idea what the problem is. Could you please file a bug tracker so we don't forget to investigate?

interestingly near the beginning of console output, i saw this:

[Load AAS]
loading maps/otc/otc.aas32
done

and i'm absolutely positive theres nothing wrong with that file because it was compiled by someone else who didn't run into this problem.

heres a few more warnings i got that i don't normally see:

WARNING: idAFBody::SetDensity: center of mass (0 0 0) not at origin (-0.000001, 0.01xxxxx, -0.03xxxx) for body 'CMeleeWeapon_atdm:moveable_dagger_28880'

WARNING: Could not find def_vocal_set entityDef atdm:ai_vocal_set_jack_gaurd_01!

It is "guard", not "gaurd" :)

WARNING: LocationSeparator 'info_tunnel2' didn't contact a portal

I think the protal that the entity is in contact with doesn't work (not sourounded by solid?) and so the info entity is left stranded.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It's normal to get loads of doors not within aas area warnings. These are things like chest lids, secret panels - any door entity that the AI are not meant to use and are probably within monster clip. I just rely on normal game testing.

If the AI are patrolling correctly don't worry about these door warnings.

i couldn't turn up any AI using a velvet hat, and a search of used models in map info didn't turn up anything useful in the /wearables folder either. i doubt i could delete every AI if i tried. a lot of them were renamed, so entity list won't grab half of them... as for the rest, this map is so rediculously large and twisty turny confusing that i still get lost trying to navigate it in DR, so theres little to no chance of finding everything that way. :wacko:

I was getting some similar erros trying to play Heart (which is bascially 'map heart')

I deleted everything in the maps folder except map file, and recompiled, replaced everything in the zip and was able to play.

So you might just need to recompile. That's the only Fm i ever had the issue with, so sometimes this might pop-up...never did find a reason.

no idea what was going on, but BD started getting the same error in his copy, thank god we found a working version without the error, or release would be put off a ways. Anyway long story short a couple edit sessions and recompiles later, the map is in working condition, and no problems anymore.

• 2 months later...

Can you confirm when you did a fresh install of Doom3 in a new folder with the correct patch and then freshly installed Dark Mod following the instructions correctly (all in a new folder) that you didn't change anything at all from then on? You didn't add any custom items of your own? Didn't do any custom changes of the configs other than via the Dark Mod menus? Downloaded problem FMs fresh? And yet those FMs won't work?