The Dark Mod Forums

Hi everyone

Saturnine

"For sale by owner" like the image says... ;) But really, it's total crap. Probably a low budget production. 5 or 6 actors and all the movie inside a non specified house that you don't even get to see from the outside. Total waste of time!!

LOL, I thought thats from the DVD-shop, but I should´ve know, German DVDshop... :rolleyes:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Hey Saturnine, as long as you'Re here, let me ask you a question. At a local DVD store, I recently saw this movie:

post-684-128882820342_thumb.jpeg

That image must clearly have been your source of inspiration and I really wanted to compare the house in the movie with your recreation of it in Rose Cottage. Apparently that movie was a total joke (3.6 on imdb OMG) and the house didn't even appear in it. So to get to my question, is there some story behind the choice of that scene? Is it based on a movie of some sort or was it just a random image you've found on the web and used for inspiration?

The Phantom Manor was part of my inspiration yeah, during the development of RC I took my daughter to Disneyland Paris and loved the look of the house and took lots of pictures, so the window object textures are from the original place.

Of course I had to change the place quite a bit as the Phantom Manor is basically a big box with a tower on top!

I wanted to make a classic, almost cliche 'haunted house' so I researched old tv and movie houses.

I added the conservatory and hexagonal tower from the Munsters house (even in the same place )

I used the sloping verandah roof from the Psycho house, but made it run all the way around, and the entire back part of the house behind the dining hall is based on the Addams family house.

I posted links in the original release thread to all the images I used to build from: http://www.ttlg.com/...=129393&page=11

I also went to Highgate cemetery in London as part of the research so the crypt textures are all authentic too.

If you search for 'Circle of Lebanon' you'll see what I mean, it was amazing I thought right there and then 'this is going into my mission!'

http://ic2.pbase.com...mbsleveledc.jpg

The stone 'thing' in the middle of the vault is a real monument at Highgate.

1rb6uf.jpg

That DVD cover is outrageous! lol, just go to Disneyland and take a picture, job done

(although I'm still going to watch it)

Thanks for all the kind words about the mission though everyone.

~D

Edited by Saturnine

Ah, that was very interesting. Thanks Saturnine!

That DVD cover is outrageous! lol, just go to Disneyland and take a picture, job done (although I'm still going to watch it)

As I said, the house does actually NOT appear in the movie and furthermore it is a reheally (!) bad, boring and predictable movie. So I'd suggest not to waste any money on it... :)

• 1 year later...

So, a couple of months have passed and due to the recent reignition of the tdm-vs-thief-flamewar over at ttlg, I remembered we got a super-skilled veteran-thief-mapper around here... :)

I guess by now you have played quite a few FMs and maybe even peeked at the editor, isn't that right Saturnine? :) What are your thoughts? I am curious!

Unfortunately, that's a standard clause in high-profile development houses. On the other hand, a job is a job, so the best wishes to him - may he work on projects which grant him creative freedom!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Saturnine was hired by a gaming company not long after posting here and discovered that his contract prevented him from creating fan missions for anything. Basically his work would become property of his employer. I hate when companies do that.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :o

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :o

Aww, think about it this way: he gets £$€ for doing the stuff he obviously enjoys and likes. Not bad at all in these troubled times!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Personally, I don't care how much money a company pays you...they shouldn't feel they have the right to 'own you' all the time. Sure, if he was goofing off at work and creating fan missions on work time, that would be wrong...but if he is at home on his own computer, building something he wants to build on his own time...that should be his business.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't care how much money a company pays you...they shouldn't feel they have the right to 'own you' all the time. Sure, if he was goofing off at work and creating fan missions on work time, that would be wrong...but if he is at home on his own computer, building something he wants to build on his own time...that should be his business.

I agree. I'm a professional programmer but if I was working on TDM in my spare time, my employer shouldn't expect to have ownership of TDM because they employ me to program.

Edited by betpet

Yeah, if you're not on their computer, you don't tell them, and nobody knows your 'new' name it's not very enforceable.

I think it falls under that 'trade secret clause'. If you are doing some new ground breaking coding they are afraid you will transfer that to someone else, etc..

But this isn't limited to game houses. Working in bike shops a lot of mechanics do freelance work to pay the bills, but shops frown on it because you are 'taking away business'. There's never been an agreement on paper, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone get fired for it, but owners usually don't like it.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Well aren't we essentially selling our bodies and minds for money to survive? Any job is trading freedom into money. It depends on the contract how much of your freedom gets converted into money. The employer should try to get as good contract as possible. The employer can always refuse to sign a contract that has too severe consequences. Too bad often we have little choice due to impendin rent and other expenses...

Clipper

Not in my world. :) I trade my time. Body and mind are mine. If they expect more, I tell them where I stand. I don't buy into the whole "I own you" bullshit.

Our bodies and minds are ours, yes, but we get money by doing something to/for someone else using our bodies and minds. We of course have the limits the contract defines, and there are lines that are not crossed. We do not have to agree with everything.

Any job is trading freedom for money and free time is a form of freedom. We have roughly the same idea, but we use different words for it.

I also agree that this "I own you" contracts are indeed bullshit. But people have little choice as being employed with a bad contract is most likely better option than not being employed at all. Jobs are scarce these days...

Clipper

Essentially i draw the line at having any intrusion or stipulations placed upon my personal life. That would require more money than any regular job could afford to give me.

Exactly! You must be compensated enough to willingly reduce your freedoms.

It depends on your profession, really. In some fields non-disclosure agreements and such are the norm. Heck, there was a huge public debate in my country, when a certain research institute which I will not name prohibited some researchers working for it from expressing their opinions in public media. The researchers wrote an article of their field of expertise into a newspaper, because there was a lot of debate in the public about the topic. Later the researchers got a load of shit from the institute as the view they presented in the newspaper was not in line with the institute's official policy. Of course, later it was found the institute was limiting their freedom of speech and had to compensate for the researchers. But these things do happen. The agreements must have a purpose, but obviously they are not always used how they are supposed to.

There is a saying in finnish that goes: "kenen leipää syöt sen lauluja laulat." Translates to "Whose bread you eat, his songs you'll sing."

Sad, but carries a fragment of truth.

Clipper

Essentially i draw the line at having any intrusion or stipulations placed upon my personal life.

When I was an apprentice for the electricity board I was 18/19 at the time, and the cheek cnuts had the gall to inform me I wasn't allowed to use a motorcycle to get to work. A few months went buy until someone rated out on me (said arsewipe got a slap for his troubles)

At which point I was called into a meeting with the manager of the depot I was based at. After a load of usual shite I politely & firmly informed him that under no circumstance could they dictate what I do outside work. And after the usual "this applies to all apprentices..." I pointed out I was 2 yrs older than all the 'other' apprentices and at 18 am considered an adult. Needless to say I was demotivated to stay in said apprenticeship, I left short there after and got a job in a computer shop selling and fixing s/h computers :-D

What the heck, why would they even have an interest in disallowing motorcycle commuting? I can't think of any reason.

About Saturnine not being allowed to make game fan missions, that at least has a little bit of reason behind it - he's working for a game company and could easily be tempted to make fan missions somewhat based on or related to environments and storylines he's exposed to at work, which could dilute the company's product, potentially. So instead of having to constantly monitor and judge whether employee fanworks are problematic they simply outlaw them. A little heavy handed, but you can at least see where it's logically coming from.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

It makes sense to me in the way that a publisher controls what a major author publishes or an actor or singer in the old studio / label system what they perform... They're buying "talent", and their workproduct is the value of that talent, which they don't want, of all things, competing against them (even if it's not for profit) or something like that. I don't like it either, but yeah I understand why they might want to demand it. If he's happy with the work then it may be worth it for him. He's put his time in making awesome mods.

As for the motorcycle, yeah something like that happened to me. When I taught English in Japan, they wouldn't let me drive my own car to work for "insurance reasons" and they literally hired a taxi to take me to and from work every day, at great public expense (~$40/ride, so $80/day) -- actually half the time from taxi-company-A, and *exactly* the other half from taxi-company-B (I had to make sure I called the right people on the right day)... Sure, nothing suspicious about that. I'm positive it had a lot more to do with public graft to support taxi companies A & B than any concern for me. It saved me on gas, anyway, and I sincerely liked my drivers, but I always felt indignant I couldn't drive & a little dirty that I felt I was part of their graft scheme.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Any job is trading freedom into money.

Spot on!! Very nice! :)

About Saturnine not being allowed to make game fan missions, that at least has a little bit of reason behind it - he's working for a game company and could easily be tempted to make fan missions somewhat based on or related to environments and storylines he's exposed to at work, which could dilute the company's product, potentially.

Yeah, I guess they want to prevent him from using great ideas in his own projects rather than the game he is supposed to work on. And also, they don't want him to burn out...

Yeah, I guess they want to prevent him from using great ideas in his own projects rather than the game he is supposed to work on. And also, they don't want him to burn out...

Ain't their business, and ain't their business. Baby bird left the nest long ago, the time for hand-holding is long past.

Isn't it nice to have companies to tell you how to live your life for you, and government to protect you from yourself by forcing you to buy into insurance, entitlement programs, and illegalizing things like marijuana and heroin?