The Dark Mod Forums

Trouble patching and launching

redleaf

The Dark Mod had fascinated me for a few years now. I finally decided to take the plunge and play a few missions - they look so yummy!

I bought and installed Doom3. Then I downloaded TDM Updater into the right folder. Next I got the Doom3 patch from your downloads page (is it the 1.3.1.1304 patch?), and when I ran it got some error messages:

-- I could not identify version of Doom 3 installed. If you are not running the English release, make sure to select the appropriate localization component to install. (when trying to patch)

-- Couldn't load default.cfg. (when trying to run the patch or launch Doom3)

-- Runtime Error! (when trying to launch TDM)

Doom3 is version 1,0,0,1. It is English but was purchased in Singapore. Can it be patched, do you think? It's a legitimate copy, though I think old.

Hey there,

I see some mention of this over on a german forum. From some further digging it just triggers if Doom3 hasnt got the correct install path set in registry or if the installer cant locate the path at all in the registry due to some or other issue, perhaps localized registry strings, which is why it asks.

They mention manually patching, I'm going to go extract the files from the installer and will give you some instruction in a few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Download : Doom3 1.3.1 Patch files

You should just have to extract this into your doom3 folder, allow the files to overwrite the existing ones.

Let me know how it goes, shouldnt have any problems tho.

Thank you for the patch! Hello, and sorry for the late reply, but I was away without internet access for a few days.

I downloaded the patch and allowed the overwrite. Do I need to play the original game and create a save (like for T2) before being able to run a TDM mission? The tutorial didn't say anything about that.

Edited by redleaf

Hi Redleaf,

I would start with the training mission which comes bundled with the TDM download before trying any missions. I'd also recommend a quick read of the Player's Guide: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=The_Dark_Mod_Gameplay which explains how to start new missions.

(you won't hear your wench vocals in action until we release the 1.03 update) ;)

Hi Redleaf,

I would start with the training mission which comes bundled with the TDM download before trying any missions. I'd also recommend a quick read of the Player's Guide: http://modetwo.net/d...rk_Mod_Gameplay which explains how to start new missions.

(you won't hear your wench vocals in action until we release the 1.03 update) ;)

Thanks, Springheel, for the link. I did peruse the DM wicki a few weeks back, but will give the gameplay guide a more careful read.

I haven't updated to the most current version because I read somewhere that you can't play older TDM fms after you update. Will that be true of the 1.03 update as well? It may be quite a while before I hear those tracks because I want to play the older missions first. I hope that TDM isn't spoiled for me with the new update. It could ruin the immersiveness of the game hearing your own voice coming out from a character - or creepify it.

Woohoo I'm IN! The menu looks great!

Started the training mission - it's great that most of the things are similar to T2, and others are nicely intuitive. Still, it's enough different that things will feel clumsy for a while. Something about the graphics look a bit T3-ish. I can't wait to see if later missions are able to break away from that a bit more.

Can players still lean forward (good old alt-w)? The wicki doesn't discuss leaning at all, but A and D work for left and right leaning.

My thanks to nbohr1more, Serpentine, and Springheel for all your help in this.

I haven't updated to the most current version because I read somewhere that you can't play older TDM fms after you update.

I am not aware of any FM's that won't play in 1.02 except the old versions of Theif's Den and Saint Lucia and the un-converted version of Closemouthed Shadows. Anything that is a proper 1.x FM and not a standalone or early proto-FM will run properly AFAIK.

Just make sure to delete your "game saves" before upgrading.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I haven't updated to the most current version because I read somewhere that you can't play older TDM fms after you update.

No, all missions can be played with the latest version. It's just that *saved games* under one version won't load after an update.

Can players still lean forward (good old alt-w)?

Forward leaning is available...forget what the default is though.

Thanks, Springheel, for the link. I did peruse the DM wicki a few weeks back, but will give the gameplay guide a more careful read.

I haven't updated to the most current version because I read somewhere that you can't play older TDM fms after you update. Will that be true of the 1.03 update as well? It may be quite a while before I hear those tracks because I want to play the older missions first. I hope that TDM isn't spoiled for me with the new update. It could ruin the immersiveness of the game hearing your own voice coming out from a character - or creepify it.

If you upgrade, you will play old missions, and so far v1.03 will also be compatible. What you cannot do is:

* if a mission says it needs v1.0x, play it with an older version

* if you have a savegame from v1.0x, reuse this on a newer (or even older) version

So there is really nothing holding you off updating, unless you are in the middle of an FM.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Forward leaning is available...forget what the default is though.

I think it is 'f'.

That's what I got, but I'm unsure if I changed it. Check the key bindings from the control menu. That'll tell you everything.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Download : Doom3 1.3.1 Patch files

You should just have to extract this into your doom3 folder, allow the files to overwrite the existing ones.

Let me know how it goes, shouldnt have any problems tho.

Is this a special patch instead of the normal one to overcome the nationality error? Can I mirror it to my website then add something to the wiki FAQ?

Is this a special patch instead of the normal one to overcome the nationality error? Can I mirror it to my website then add something to the wiki FAQ?

It's a copy of the patch unpacked with the correct files in place to patch a windows copy of doom3. The rest is up to you, but I don't think it would do any harm to offer it if other people run into the same problem, tho I haven't heard of any others other than 2-3 people on a German forum which I found while looking for similar problems :)

I have already edited the wiki install instructions to refer to this thread... I think.

That patch got me in, thank you. I tried the training mission a few times - but the game freezes every time I go to black jack someone. I'll search the forum her and at TTLG to try and find an answer and write here again if I don't find one.

What GPU vendor (ATI vs nVidia vs Intel...)?

If ATI, have you disabled Catalyst AI?

Did you follow-up and upgrade to v1.02 (not sure if the Training Mission was revised for v1.02 and therefore is problematic on earlier releases...?)?

Edited by nbohr1more

What GPU vendor (ATI vs nVidia vs Intel...)?

If ATI, have you disabled Catalyst AI?

Did you follow-up and upgrade to v1.02 (not sure if the Training Mission was revised for v1.02 and therefore is problematic on earlier releases...?)?

Laptop:

Dell XPS1530

Windows 7 Ultimate

Processor: Intel Core Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.5 GHz

3 GB installed memory

32-bit OS

nVidia Ge Force 8600M GT

I'll check about the upgrade to v1.02 - I may not have done that as I thought I wouldn't be able to play earlier fms if I did so.

(As ungoliant had mentioned to another user in another thread) You may need to update your nvidia GeForce 8600GT drivers. If Dell doesn't have newer (or the latest) version available you may need to use the Mobility Modder Tool to convert desktop drivers to laptop ones...

Before trying anything drastic, see if you can find the Multi-Threaded Optimization area in your nVidia driver settings (nview?) and disable that setting...

Edited by nbohr1more

(As ungoliant had mentioned to another user in another thread) You may need to update your nvidia GeForce 8600GT drivers. If Dell doesn't have newer (or the latest) version available you may need to use the Mobility Modder Tool to convert desktop drivers to laptop ones...

Before trying anything drastic, see if you can find the Multi-Threaded Optimization area in your nVidia driver settings (nview?) and disable that setting...

Okeeee - that all sounds a bit scary. I need this laptop for business, and mucking about with drivers has given me problems in the past. So I may have to wait until I get back home to Singapore to start this game on my desktop - it has a bigger better monitor anyway.

The good news is - I got a copy of Doom3 and installed Dark Mod on my nephew's desktop here in Holland. It looks FANTASTIC! And no glitches so far. I can't wait to play it on my own pc.

Yeah, updating drivers can be problematic on laptops. Modding drivers is an even trickier proposition. So I understand your reluctance to try these steps.

This change is very safe to try (presuming the setting is available):

Open Nvidia Control Panel ->

Manage 3D Settings ->

Bottom half of list locate "Threaded Optimization" <-- Set to NO / Off

Also set "Multi-display/Mixed GPU acceleration" to "Single display performance mode"

Yeah, updating drivers can be problematic on laptops. Modding drivers is an even trickier proposition. So I understand your reluctance to try these steps.

This change is very safe to try (presuming the setting is available):

Open Nvidia Control Panel ->

Manage 3D Settings ->

Bottom half of list locate "Threaded Optimization" <-- Set to NO / Off

Also set "Multi-display/Mixed GPU acceleration" to "Single display performance mode"

Thanks for understanding my position, and especially for offering an alternative. I configured NVidia as directed, and hope that does the trick. BTW: The driver updater says I already have the latest ones installed.

Will try Darkmod trainer again today when I have a moment, and will post the results here.

Okeeee - that all sounds a bit scary. I need this laptop for business, and mucking about with drivers has given me problems in the past. So I may have to wait until I get back home to Singapore to start this game on my desktop - it has a bigger better monitor anyway.

Nah, it's nothing drastic. Sounds worse than it really is. I have had to use driver modding tools to get updated drivers to install for both ATI and Nvidia cards in the past...no issues.

The first was my wife's old laptop with an ATI chip...worked flawlessly afterward....and of course my own laptop with Nvidia. No problems. All the mod tool really seems to do is add the type of chip in your laptop to the drivers installation list or some such thing. I think Dell and other computer manufacturers give the chips unique names so that the original installers won't properly identify the chips.