The Dark Mod Forums

Alternate walk animation

Noisycricket

I ran across this file today and thought i'd go ahead release it. Im not sure if it comes with TDM or in Darkradiant, but its buried somewhere and would probably never see the light of day. Anyway, I had planned on releasing this through the forums a long time ago, but didn't for various reasons. I figure i never will if i don't do it now, so here it is: A walk cycle for the guards i animated. Its intended to look very realistic. I spent around 1.67 million years watching reference video and took reference video of myself from multiple angles. It took a long time to animate. I'll even admit im a little proud of it. I spent upwards of 3x the time i spent on the search animation. Its not perfect and to many eyes, the difference may not be huge, to others, perhaps more. To me its a huge difference, but i stared at it for 2 months...

I wanted it to support immersion and i tried to add in a hint of tiredness and boredom for character and also physical capability and general confidence to help keep the player's psyche on edge.

To install, you must create the following folder structure in the darkmod folder:

models\md5\chars\guards\proguard

Rename the file to walk.md5anim and place it in the proguard folder. All done. Then start'er up.

Hope you enjoy :)

http://www.mediafire...18q4q6fkl60mzt5

Here you can see the difference:

While we´re at it, we could share a new walk-feeling for the player himself. You have messed around with bob and such values too, haven´t you Noisycricket?

Here is mine, to be placed in DarkMod\def: Just remove '.txt' from the filename.

tdm_player_thief.def.txt

Here the way how you can tweak this yourself:

Open the file with Notepad and search (Strg+F) for the following names and change the values next to them:

pm_bobroll 0.0024

pm_bobpitch 0.0046

pm_bobup 0.045

pm_walkbob 0.1875

pm_runbob 0.31285

pm_crouchbob 0.1875

pm_runroll 0.03

Isn´t it cool to change a game to your liking? :) Thinking about it I would like to have sliders for this values in the game-menu...

@Noisycricket: It wasn´t my intention to hi-jack this thread, I´ll study your mod right now... :)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Hmm, 3 posts in a row. But then I edit now my post the forum does not recognize it as a new post, so sorry for that. :mellow:

Anyway, I studied now Noisycricket´s add-on and it´s really an improvement, less static, I assume it will find it´s way even in the next update (1.03). You can see the difference very fast if you watch the shoulder-behaviour. I suggest to use Fidcals Blackjack-Trainer or the EAX-demo, there a guard runs a little circle on the outside area.

THANK YOU Noisycricket! :)

You said it´s not perfect, at what do you refer? From my little study now I say that the shoulder-movement is maybe a little, very little bit strong, but also I have to get used to it. :)

edit: damn typos...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Heres a video of the current 2 together. The one on the right looks smaller because of the FOV settings in Maya.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6iq_NsrF5cs

@ Legion: Its not quite perfect to me because I took hip rotation into account, which causes the skin around the bellybutton area to twist a little bit. Which looks kinda weird on armor. Its just a little spot and doesn't really bother me though. I know what you mean about the shoulders, too stiff. Hopefully i'll get some time to play around with that soon.

I have messed around with the head bob settings a little bit. Its very limited though, yet i'd recommend a little tweaking of them for any TDM fan. A lot depends on how a person see themselves sneaking I think, so it could be subjective. FWIW, I personally feel the best first person view sneaking movements are seen in the game: The Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB. Like hear near 4:00.

To do that, i'd need to revamp the root algorithms, something that is probably beyond me. I still haven't tried to see if i can animate the skeleton joint that the camera is attached to, I bet i could get some really good fluid movements with that.

FWIW, I personally feel the best first person view sneaking movements are seen in the game: The Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB. Like hear near 4:00.

Sorry, I don´t see any movements at all, besides the attack-animation. :mellow: Or do you mean just the height-position? I never played that game though.

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Sorry, I don´t see any movements at all, besides the attack-animation. :mellow: Or do you mean just the height-position? I never played that game though.

Yeah, its very subtle and very hard to see in youtube videos, but he moves side to side when hes moving along. Run (more like a jog) is the default movement, there is also i walk, which is an underrated movement method for immersive gameplay imo, since you do it all day long, every day of your life. I always want to tell people that when they enter an area with impressive scenery, to try and walk, not run because to me it makes it all seem more real. Also there is a crouch walk and all the movements blend into each other smoothly, so when your crouched and you start moving forward, you go up a little and when you stop, you go back down. Also when your standing still and you pan around, the screen moves as if your shifting your feet. I loaded Dark Athena, the remake, up just to feel it again, its amazing imo. If you get bored sometime, load up the demo.

Its what i feel is the best overall movement system, but Battlefield 2142 has the best running movement imo. There is a VERY subtle screen shake when there foot is planted, which corresponds accurately with my own experience while running. I just found out you can do the screen shake part of it in TDM by adding a "shake" parameter to the footstep sounds. I think something like .001 or something tiny so that its not even detectable for most of the steps.

Meh, youtube doesn't seem to be able to loop the video, so I click the button and its over before I lifted my eyes from the button to the video.. Can you please upload a longer version?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

In the meantime you can use a site that loops videos.

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6iq_NsrF5cs&start1=&video2=&start2=&authorName=ez+p

(The music track was unintentionally carried over from the opening default video, but it sort of fits so I kept it.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Lol, the gangster brand of attitude and stereotyped toughness was definitely NOT what I was going for, but ok. ;) I'll edit my original video in just a bit.

Ok, here it is:

I like it! Yep, that new animation would certainly fit really well for some self-confident tough guys, like the professional guard. You walk like that when you have a couple of kills and experience under your belt.

The older animation is still good for 'normal' people.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Variety is better served when it's easily recognizable and can be appreciated. People will notice a difference when you have a guard with a limp or one who is a bit wobbly from drinking. This on the other hand is akin to stocking two brands of mustard in your fridge just in case. I say pitch the old one and leave room for some ketchup.

I believe the guards that are carrying torches, and maybe anything else, will still use the existing one. I'm not opposed to variation, thats for sure. I don't mean to be harsh the old one since animating is so time consuming and challenging to get just right, but i really don't think people walk that way at all, so i've always wanted to replace it. When i originally noted its completion, there was talk by Greebo (i think?) about enabling the engine to randomly set individual guards to take on different walk animations. Not sure if anything was ever done with that.

This on the other hand is akin to stocking two brands of mustard in your fridge just in case. I say pitch the old one and leave room for some ketchup.

But we have such a big fridge! ;) But yes, I see your point.

BTW, in case I´m not too late, HAPPY BIRTHDAY too you too, Noisycricket! :)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 4 weeks later...