The Dark Mod Forums

scary games

Baddcog

Anyone getting any of the halloween game sales?

Thinking about Overlord, but I'm not sure. Supposed to be really fun, it's cheap. Not sure I need another game like that though.

Amnesia is on sale (but not cheap enough yet)

Silent Hill #sumething, about $15

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I'm going to drag my desktop over to our college auditorium, plug it into the giant-screen projector and sound system, and invite a few friends to play Silent Hill, try out Amnesia, and probably end with N64 Mario Party.

Hee hee hee. It's so devious. I love being President of Audio-Video committee.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Overlord is kinda funny. Not very deep, but still fun. However, I lost interest in the game close to the end. I am interested in Silent Hill too. I only finished Silent Hill 2 so far, which was legenday, but only briefly played part 3 and 4.

But well, as far as Halloween Horror is concerned, your first choice should be Amnesia, because aside from an evil theme, there's nothing horrifying about Overlord and the most recent Silent Hill games seem to concentrate a lot more on action than on horror compared to old games. If you manage to overcame the crappy graphics of SH2, I'd highly recomment to play that game. I actually can't remember a lot of the game, but I remember being damn enthusiastic about it and frightened during play. :) It has a great atmosphere and a twisted story full of psycho weirdness.

I did have a beta of burn zombie burn... Way back when it was all black and you couldn't see anything. Glad to see he increased contrast. Probably not much in the way of story or anything, but a fun little kill the horde game.

Do you play L4D MD? or L4D2 rather.

My issue is that games just don't scare me, sure there's SHAS which scares the hell out of me... But other than that I just see this as a sale. Overlord sounds like it might not be worth it. I get bored towards the end of games too, can't say how many I've started and never finished, and I had a feeling this game could fit in that catagory.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Silent Hill2 was the best of the series (haven´t tried the latest, don´t think I will so soon), had one of the most mature stories I ever saw in a video-game.

You can try Silent Hill 1 on a PlayStation1, at least the graphics will creep you out... :laugh:

I plan to play Bikerdudes´s mission on Halloween, if it get´s released then...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Tried Zombie Panic: Source months ago. Doesn't quite work for a single giant-screen multiplayer.

I found my old copy of "Zombies Ate my Neighbors" for Super Nintendo, though! Squirt guns, bazookas, popsicles, and tomatoes for weapons, and using silverware to kill werewolves... B)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

If you're looking for scary the only game I can suggest is Amnesia. All these other games like L4D(2) and such are fun, but not scary one bit. When I have an automatic gun in a game I can't feel scared because I know if something comes at me I just point and click. You could play thief 3's Cradle mission again though :laugh:

I never past any Silent Hill, when I played them when they first came out they were frightning but so was a pixely dog crashing through a window in Resident Evil :P I tried playing them again a couple years ago and I couldn't get into it due to the controls :(

If you have a PS2 or want to go through the effort of setting up a PS2 emulator, the "Fatal Frame" games are supposed to be contenders for the "scariest games ever made".

I might go old-school and play some Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Splatterhouse. ^_^

You've probably played these but the following Doom 3 maps are a pretty good fit for the season:

Gatehouse

(very creepy and satanic in the lower levels...)

Serengrove

(old-timey zombie chills and a TERRIFIC narrator)

Ladder

(small but nice atmosphere)

There are others that are kinda in that vein but most don't have the fear or atmosphere of the above examples.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

the "Fatal Frame" games are supposed to be contenders for the "scariest games ever made".

Ah, Project Zero as it´s called for more educated people ;) , my girlfriend played that game(s) and she liked them a lot. And I think she didn´t finished because she was so scared (and not interested in games anymore).

But I don´t know if I can identify myself with a Japanese´s wet dream of a school girl... ^_^

Thanks for the Doom3-maps-links, I hope I can get them running with my DentonMod-mod...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

My old favorite The Devil Inside was a scary game. Had a castle killing demons and zombies, a reality show. Beside me was a camera man who came with me everywhere. A woman journalist and came to the castle, because he believed that only an organized show programs. and kidnapped by the demons. Had released two of us and take care of all the bodily integrity. Was very exciting and scary at the time of this game.

I remember 'The Devil Inside', but it was a little buggy? I never finished it, but another reason for that could´ve been the most crappy German voiceovers it had, horrible stuff, too much for me... :blush:

But it was cool that you could morph into a cute demoness in black leather, but again, I have buggy memories about it...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I remember 'The Devil Inside', but it was a little buggy? I never finished it, but another reason for that could´ve been the most crappy German voiceovers it had, horrible stuff, too much for me... :blush:

But it was cool that you could morph into a cute demoness in black leather, but again, I have buggy memories about it...

I could not finish unfortunately. I was already at the end of the cemetery, and at the wrong time saved. A woman who had died to protect. I feel like it was not already saved the previous position, to start the game. Later, when I wanted to play with him, I was stunned to realize that a cracked plate. Otherwise, the game was very good, and caused a couple of nights in a nightmare.MeghallgatásOlvasás fonetikusan

What about Clive Barker's Undying? I just love this game! Of course, it has a lots of action, but it has enough horror as well.

I had heard a lot of praise for this game so I wanted to try it, but it constantly crashed in Windows 7. Have you got any tips on how to run it?

Edited by Nosslak

Some of my favorite scary games are:

Resident Evil Nemesis (PSX): Nothing like getting that keycard you needed only to hear "S.T.A.R.S!" OH SHIT!

Condemned 1 and 2 (Xbox 360): Great atmosphere and crazy gameplay. I really like going into rundown buildings and streets in videogames.

Quest for Glory 4 (PC): My favorite of the series. I love the transylvania feel along with the Lovecraftian horror that lurks beneath. Plus John-Rhys Davies narrating is just AWESOME.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

halloween is all souls night or samhain celtic festival its when the frabric between the world of the living and the world of the dead is very thin and so its the one night of the year when your dead relatives souls can come and visit you.

the celtic druids would go up to there main religious sites on the Isle of Anglesey and toss human body parts into the sacred pools, and spray fresh human blood on the trees in the sacred groves, and take part in ritual human sacrifice and canabalism. And for that reason the romans exterminated them all.

Edited by stumpy

Halloween neither exists here in Germany, but the American "trick or treat" habbit is slowly swapping over, which I dislike to be honest. This has simply nothing to do with our culture and from what I read in stumpy's post, neither with the American culture. But well, live and let live. Those kids get some sweets out of me too, although I am mostly not supplied enough for such an occasion.

@HappyCheeze: Condemned 1 was also released on the PC by the way and it was a sweet game. Quest for Glory sound pretty cool. Gonna check that one out eventually. I only have access to a crappy laptop anyway, so old games are the way to go in my free time. :) I recently played Shadowman for that reason. It's a decent game, if you like totally non-linear games. Also older, but good Action Horror Games are "The Suffering"-Games (Quake 3 Engine). It's been quite some time since I played those, but I remember cool, fast action and a disturbing story and atmosphere.

Re: Quest for Glory

Oh boy, it's an old point and click. That game will have to wait a little longer then... :)

LOL "Süßes oder Saures!"

But yeah, I think so too. If they'd at least had the decency to name it Samhain... but no, American culture by definition has to be FTW, right? 

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.