The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: St Alban's Cathedral (01/11/2010)

Bikerdude

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mirror: http://bloodgate.com/fms/stac142.pk4 (v1.4.2)

MD5 (stac142.pk4) = 9ea243d3775f5b5acf85396b269072c5

SHA1 (stac142.pk4) = 63489c8b2eb6b53e563f3ef06b965d6c55d0f153

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Finished! Overall this is a pretty excellent mission.

I had some problems trying to find what to do next, and the sneaking aspect was a little easy because the AI were too scattered away. So the gameplay is "just" good ;)

The story and visuals were perfect.. totally draw me into the world. I would suggest adding tint to some ambient lights to help set the mood. The cathedral might look even better with purple, blue or green overall tone, for example. Do you use some image editing soft? try taking screenshots of critic scenes of the map and messing with the colors and light/shades zones of the image,... I don't know if this workflow isn't more complicated than direct DR, though :P

Anyway, thanks and congrats! (banana_dancing)

I was so excited about playing this, but it seems it's another one of the missions that won't successfully load for me. :(

It starts ok- objective screen, 'mission loading, relax' screen, which changes to 'mission loaded, just chill' and waits....and then 'Doom3 has stopped working' crash. Oh, how I hate that crash. I've seen it before, in The Rift, Somewhere Above the City (which I eventually got to play, after Grayman kindly helped me figure out it was a particular, innocuous table causing my crash there), and Alchemist. As per the instructions given to me in the thread I created about those 3 missions here, I tried to dmap otc, but had no luck (the same crash happened while performing the dmap).

Ah well. :( I know the problem is due to some weird, unexplainable quirk in my system somewhere, but I was really hoping not to run into another mission I couldn't play.

Congratulations on the release, Bikerdude! I've enjoyed all your others, maybe some day my computer will get proper counseling and behave enough that I'll get to play this one.

What are your system specs? On my old junky socket-754 machine with 1.2 GB of ram, I got crashes while loading some big missions like NHAT2. It would finish loading and then bomb back to the desktop. This was because I had my swap disabled (pagefile for windows users). Enabling that fixed the crashes. Maybe if you don't have enough ram, you can lower details and get to play the mission. I suggest setting com_machinespec to 0 (it doesn't look *that* bad) and image_downsizebump to 1. Either of these are certainly more pleasant than image_downsize for sure. That last one will make even the menus look ugly.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Ah well. I know the problem is due to some weird, unexplainable quirk in my system somewhere,

What are your system specs? On my old junky socket-754 machine with 1.2 GB of ram, I suggest setting com_machinespec to 0 (it doesn't look *that* bad) and image_downsizebump to 1.

Shaz how much ram have you got, that said if LS can get it to load on his system then it should run on yours.

I had some problems trying to find what to do next, and the sneaking aspect was a little easy because the AI were too scattered away. So the gameplay is "just" good

In retrospect I think I should have set reclaim gear from the local watch as an objective, this would have saved all the confusion by player not reading the briefing...

Edited by Bikerdude

I had some problems trying to find what to do next, and the sneaking aspect was a little easy because the AI were too scattered away. So the gameplay is "just" good

In retrospect I think I should have set getting stash from the local watch as an objective, this would have saved all the confusion by player not reading the briefing...

This, specifically, wasn't one of the stucking points for me :P

This, specifically, wasn't one of the stucking points for me

the thing is TDM cant handle more than a few AI in large open locations, its the nature of the beast and while I appreciate that people wont feel challenged there is nothing I can do about it untill the sdource code is released and some tasks can be offloaded to other cpu cores etc.

Trust me, my system is more than capable of running TDM (all relevant info on my system and everything I've tried is in the link I provided to my previous tussle with trying to get those few missions to run). Quick link to my post in the 'Post your SysConfig here' thread. Aside from Swing (which I will not play due to having severe motion sickness), I have played every other TDM FM listed on the wiki with no problems whatsoever, aside from this one and the 3 listed in my Tech Help thread. Now, one of those missions had a table (a table! eesh) that for some reason my crazy system didn't like, and crashed the game over.

I dunno if my computer is just having a fit over something as innocuous as a vase that it simply doesn't like...or what, but it's not a problem getting TDM to run. It's just that there's something about this (and a couple other) FMs that makes my computer shut down Doom3.

EDIT: I don't want it to seem that I'm calling your FM out over this. I'm betting it's something completely unexpected...one of those 'works fine for most everyone else' things, and it's just some combo of something on my end that makes my computer choke trying to load it. Like that table, of all things, in Somewhere Above the City (I'm still dumbfounded over that, yes).

Edited by Shaz

can you post a screenshot of the exact error that D3 throws up..?

also you might have to patch the doom3.exe file which is what I did to fix the internal 1-2GB limit the game has. Just remove the .txt of the end of the file name and unzip as normal.

4gb_patch.zip.txt

Edited by Bikerdude

untill the sdource code is released and some tasks can be offloaded to other cpu cores etc

I wouldn't completely discount the efforts of the TDM team to improve performance prior to Open-Source, ...when SDK bugs are fixed things can potentially perform better... :huh:

(I won't argue that any more performance could've been squeezed in v1.02 for your map, you're probably amongst the best squeezers AFAIK ;) )

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Explanation of my vote!

Gameplay = Good

I had to deduct for the gear hunt mellow.gif (I don´t like these and never hav wacko.gif ) the briffing state that you get a big sack of gold! whay not buy some equitment before going on the mission?

Appearance = Excellent

I had to deduct for Z fighting and misaligment but other then that it´s a gem wink.gif

Story & Text: Story = Excellent

It´s near perfect wink.gif except for ninor quriks (like the big sack of gold and still no start gear?)

Congratulations on a mission well don Bikerdude smile.gif

Oh, two updates, than I´ll start over...

I only played the little town section until I got to the

Tavern

where I got hungry, but no food was frobable, so I had to go to the kitchen, in RealLife I mean...

The Town-section looked very good, though some spots were too dark I thought, because not all the nice architectural details were visible...

Anyway, although I loved to hear different ambient music tracks, there were not much Ambiance. There was one spot with wind-sounds, but I would´ve loved to hear the wind through the whole town-part, especially at the roofs. I liked the atmosphere in the City-Watch-building, somehow I got instantly a Thief2-feeling. OH, after QuickLoad the music is not played, but gladly you have so much area-tracks and I only save on area-changes, so not a real problem.

And no EAX??? tongue.gif Especially the sewers would benefit from EAX. When I´m through I´ll implement EAX for my copy. Would you like to re-release your map with (my) EAX?

I also spotted some other little bugs, but nothing annoying so I won´t post it (now).

But for now the Ambiance is a negative critical point (as for every TDM-FM actually, yeah, I´m THE Ambiance-addict!!!), but OTOH I´ve not scanned the available TDM-ambiance-sound-library but I guess TDM needs a lot more...

Ok, I´ll start over this night, damn, so late again... :ph34r:

And I´m a little frightened because from the sewers I saw some ghost-like shade in what I believe is the entrance to the Cathedral, but as I wrote before, I was hungry so I got back to the tavern and fell asleep there...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Hey

Till now a very cool mission

But I can't find a way to the sewer. The cell key doesn't work for the last cell (with the hole)

and I can't open few doors cause I don't have the second lockpick ;( - I also don't find a clue on the readables

.. Regards Berny

Edited by Berny

@berny

your gear is stored somewhere in the city-watch as described in the briefing.

the cell key does not open the last cell-door. a readable in city watch alludes to this

@everyone

Here is some cool background info for you taffs. If you've played the mission you probably know that

there is some latin text provided as a clue.

Here is the translation in english provided by MD:

with the hawks, doves will congregate

they will drop honey from the cliffs

wine will surge over the earth

the sheep will wander harmlessly with the wolf

then the wicked will rise, but to retribution

I'm having lots of tools and more than 5 grand in gold, BUT I'M TOO DARN STUPID TO FIGURE OUT WHERE TO FIND THE "roof of the world" - CLUE.

please help

Edited by Outlooker

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

Have you found the Priests office and the note on his desk, the clue is there...

Rafters? I jumped/climbed on them and moved from bar to bar through almost all the cathedral, but I couldn't find anything ...

:(

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

can you post a screenshot of the exact error that D3 throws up..?

also you might have to patch the doom3.exe file which is what I did to fix the internal 1-2GB limit the game has. Just remove the .txt of the end of the file name and unzip as normal.

I'm afraid the picture will give you no more info than 'Doom 3 has stopped working', since I posted this same problem in my previous thread, and it was deemed useless. Here's Windows being its helpful self! Of course, the help it gives is to direct me to id's website, which is no help at all. [sarcasm]Thanks, Windows![/sarcasm]

True and honest thanks, though, for that patch! It didn't help here, but it might help prevent some other errors. :)

That still looks like an ATI driver behavior to me. I see that VisionTek only offers one driver revision, perhaps that is the only driver that is really compliant with your card. Have you tried the VisionTek specific driver?

http://www.visiontek.com/downloads.html

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'm afraid the picture will give you no more info than 'Doom 3 has stopped working',True and honest thanks, though, for that patch! It didn't help here, but it might help prevent some other errors.

why are you running doom in a window and not full screen..?also do you have a spare gfx card or can u borrow one from a mate..?

Edited by Bikerdude