The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: St Alban's Cathedral (01/11/2010)

Bikerdude

I haven't looked at the map (because I cant) but the lion window in the screenshot linked above has a non-power of two compressed normal map. From the internal forum thread : problematic stuff, that I have to get around to fixing (that list has quite a few checks disabled re: dds stuff). But in this case, I'd guess it's the window, tho there are a few other options like peppers :)

Hmm, that's weird because when I compressed that image using the nvidia photoshop plugin it at first complained that it wasn't a power of 2, then when I changed it to 1024x768 for the diffuse it was all happy.

I see, so it's either 1024x1024 or 1024x512. That sucks, because the image is neither square nor 1:2

So are you saying that non powers of two DDS breaks video drivers causing crashes?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which isn't exactly intuitive

because none of the other chandeliers are climbable.

Er they are, all 3 in the central section of the cathedral are climeable, as they are the only one reachable by the player.

I've found it but the window sill stops me from getting close enough to the key to pick it up.

you just crouch down, then frob the moveable brick, then move backward to remove the brick, simple. You can use the lean forward fucntion to grab items btw.

Oh come on guys, 100 replies and only 15 of you voted :P

Edited by Bikerdude

Which isn't exactly intuitive

because none of the other chandeliers are climbable.

Yeah, that's a general design issue with other climbables as well - you can get up some pipes and not others etc. Consistency shoud be paramount here.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Er they are, all 3 in the central section of the cathedral are climeable, as they are the only one reachable by the player.

hmmm, I died several times trying to jump onto one of them, I'll take a pic.

EDIT: These are the chandeliers I first started trying to climb, so it's no wonder I never thought to climb the other ones. :P

chandeliereh.jpg

I see, so it's either 1024x1024 or 1024x512. That sucks, because the image is neither square nor 1:2

So are you saying that non powers of two DDS breaks video drivers causing crashes?

Yeah pretty much, NPOT texture handling in OpenGL was sort of a plaster added on by using some arsey extensions, a lot of developers however decided to ignore that and to resize the texture on loading(it will pad the image to the nearest POT, using more memory) and use the extension at the same time, which is to me, somewhat ambiguous. I think(guess) this leads to a case where the game may try to use a mipmap or something that isn't going to be correct in the eyes of the driver; as the driver is expecting to use the raw dds math and the game is asking for something from its resized information. The padded image may also not get recompressed as a temp dds, and is rather left as an internal texture format, which would be far larger(~24/32bit TGA minus a few bytes ), I have a feeling this is true for the standard TDM config. The problem should be handled better by drivers, but it seems that for bump and specular textures in doom3, this seems to cause trouble.

In short it's best to use the space as best you can to avoid padding and slowing down loads etc. The trouble with fixing is that as you said, the image is neither POT nor in a 'nice' ratio which means that if it were to simply be squashed to fit, it would look incorrect in existing maps, a bit more tricky :/

you just crouch down, then frob the moveable brick, then move backward to remove the brick, simple. You can use the lean forward fucntion to grab items btw.

Now I feel silly. All these missions and I've never had a use for lean forward before, nor known its existence.

Oh come on guys, 100 replies and only 15 of you voted :P

I'm still completing the mission! :) I'll have to take a 2am break in a bit.

EDIT: These are the chandeliers I first started trying to climb, so it's no

wonder I never thought to climb the other ones.

Doh, I forgot you could get up there aswell - I just didnt think players would that suicidal to try and get there...

:laugh:

note to self, put more player clip in missions...

Edited by Bikerdude

Doh, I forgot you could get up there aswell - I just didnt think players would that suicidal to try and get there...

Us players have no idea where things are supposed to be, which is as it should be. Once we get to the rafters though, if we cannot see where we're supposed to go we then go exploring. For example, some of us have played maps where the scaffolding is at the furthest end of what we;re supposed to get to. That doesn't help :)

Edited by pmw57

No playerclip is the worst, nothing like an invisible wall to get you a 0/5 stars for design :P

Just make them all climbable, problem solved. Sure it's useless as there's nothing there, but a chain should always be climbable.

what about the insides?

Of the three coffins I can only get inside one of these, the lowest one that is. And I think the others had loot, but I couldn´t get inside (but got the loot anyway). There is no time-limit on the switch, right?

no apologies should be necessary for the ambient, it is the exact same level as the Training Mission. If you've calibrated your settings to it, then this mission should run perfectly (unless your monitor is totally shit like mine and cannot increase brightness/gamma to a level that can even identify the letters in the middle column of "the dark mod")

Yeah, well, to be honest, my beloved TV can´t get the capitals visible unless it´s too bright. The TrainingMissionCalibrate room is not of much help here. I raised brightness now a little and now I can see more. I needed it for the roofs from the CityWatchBuilding. Some textures are just pitchblack in the ambient Light while the brighter ones are even too bright... Yeah, Diego will say now "But that´s realistic!" ;) but it doesn´t feel right to my eyes. Must be that ambient_world-effect without normals?

While my tests in Doom3 I chose 5 for ambient_world. Though I would like to have 3, but some textures are just too pitchblack then...

I couldn´t resist and implemented a default-EAX-effect yesterday. My savegame does still work, but the ambient-music doesn´t, so I have to start over AGAIN!!! That will be the third time I play the town part and I still haven´t seen the cathedral, but this night finally... :rolleyes:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

For the last piece right before the boat I had to get a board from the prison and put it over the waterfall so I could get the last gem! GRRRRR

At least we had practice with that where

the bottle under the spiral staircase where the crates and pallet is concerned. I quite enjoyed maneuvering a board (from the cells) so that I could scrape the bottle towards me.

How did you go with

the green gem in the geode that's under the water? I'm finding that I cannot get it because it's always dropped down through the geode to an inaccessible area below.

Is this a bug?

Edited by pmw57

At least we had practice with that where

the bottle under the spiral staircase where the crates and pallet is concerned. I quite enjoyed maneuvering a board (from the cells) so that I could scrape the bottle towards me.

How did you go with

the green gem in the geode that's under the water? I'm finding that I cannot get it because it's always dropped down through the geode to an inaccessible area below.

Is this a bug?

Yes the first time I went for that geode it wasn't there, so I noclipped and found it down under the rocks. The second time I don't think I got that far.

Of the three coffins I can only get inside one of these, the lowest one that is. And I think the others had loot, but I couldn´t get inside (but got the loot anyway). There is no time-limit on the switch, right?

I couldn´t resist and implemented a default-EAX-effect yesterday. My savegame does still work, but the ambient-music doesn´t, so I have to start over AGAIN!!! That will be the third time I play the town part and I still haven´t seen the cathedral, but this night finally...

there is no time limit,

the probs with trying setup eax is because Im guessing coz I used info_location speaker method, if you remove/replace all them with normal speakers you`ll get better cross-zone ambient sounds etc.

and the cathedfral as stated in the briefing is via the sewers..

Yes the first time I went for that geode it wasn't there, so I noclipped and found it down under the rocks. The second time I don't think I got that far.

Okay, well the loot list is now complete, but I've had to say for the moment that that one is currently unavailable without cheating.

I would love to see that fixed up soon so that I can remove that note.

Edited by pmw57

Just played a bit of your mission, I'm in the church now.

Here are some things I noticed.

The guard in the cell area at the police station; when you knock him out he still babbles on.

Also, when i got into the arrow/potion shop I was a bit disappointed when I found out you couldn't take the arrows the the display after unlocking the display... that annoyed me :(

It's looking very nice though, good job :)

18588.png

The guard in the cell area at the police station; when you knock him out he still babbles on.

Also, when i got into the arrow/potion shop I was a bit disappointed when I found out you couldn't take the arrows the the display after unlocking the display... that annoyed me :(

You can get the arrows the frob distance is REALLY short so you can't frob them through the glass. I had to noclip to get them however.

I was able to get only some of them, thought this was so by design.

But because of the sparse AI in the cathedral I hardly needed any of them!

Edited by Chiron

I was able to get only some of them, thought this was so by design.

Does leaning forward [F] help any?

It's also possible to play the mission where none of the AI even notices you. That can be more of a challenge for you than just killing everyone you come across.