The Dark Mod Forums

A Present From Sapphire Scar

Gleemonex

Nice track but I have a little “issue” with it. A “main theme” should have a climax, and I cannot spot its presence. The first thing that this track reminded me of was the Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magic soundtrack, especially the “wilderness” track. I did not say that this is a bad track, but I would not consider using it as a main theme for a game. Each would work pretty well as a “exploration” theme, as in, the background track for times when there is no combat or time pressing situations.

I hope no one is offended by my thoughts, I did not mean to “bash” anyone.

This is really a nice music. :) I could imagine it working very well with the credits screen or taking the player from the title screen to the game. Even though it has not such a strong climax, I don't think this is a problem, depending on how you use it. After all, there is a climax almost at the end, but since this is more a slow tune, the climax fits very well into the overall song.

Gerhard

Wow, that's good, Gleemonex! Great job :) I rather enjoyed the twisted horn sounds in the beginning and other strange nuances. It's got a nice rhythm. The composition as a whole reminds me of a great Amiga 500 game from yester-year (late 80s) called "Shadow of the Beast." Ahh, I can see the Psygnosis logo now...

1040399307-00.gif

Edited by Darkness_Falls

One question btw, what tools did Tawan use?

I'm not sure. You could ask him in the concerned thread on our forums.

Nice track but I have a little “issue” with it. A “main theme” should have a climax, and I cannot spot its presence.

This is just a starting point, since our music guys are nuts and crank out entire tunes just to test things out. I doubt this will be the final version that makes it into the game -- or even if it makes it into the game at all. And no offense taken -- thanks for your candour!

I could imagine it working very well with the credits screen or taking the player from the title screen to the game. Even though it has not such a strong climax, I don't think this is a problem, depending on how you use it

You hit the nail on the head -- this low-key tune (or something similar) will probably end up in the main menu or credits. We're going to keep the in-game music closer to our chests, since we don't want recognition of a song to ruin game immersion.

Wow, that's good, Gleemonex! Great job

I'm afraid I can't take credit for that tune -- it's the product of Tawan.

Nice happy ambient music... but has nothing to do with System Shock 2... not really shocking... will Saphire Scar also going to be as happy as this song?

Sounds alot like Enigma to me. Not really my cup of tea, but then I don't know what the game is like. For a loner game (SS2 style) I'd prefer something darker, harsher and more elektonic.

Given that our game will follow a story arc in a loose, open-ended fashion, we're going to have a broad variety of musical styles. We'll probably end up slotting a musician for each chapter, to keep musical/audio consistency within each chapter.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

-Glee

------------------------

PS. Check out "Tawan - Loner" at http://www.ctgmusic.com/charts.php =)

• 10 years later...

Hmm, someone with access to more of the SVN than me would have to answer but I recall that we got a huge dump of stuff from SolarSpace (the developer who is working on Arx: End of the Sun ).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 10 months later...

Extreme bump from the past! Anyone out there still have a copy of this? The original download link has been killed.

Extreme reply from the past!

https://soundcloud.com/planet-bliss/saphire-scar-1

We thank YOU for giving it to us wink.gif , again, thanks.

Please make sure of one thing: Don't let SS die like most other Doom3 mods. Please!!

--Dram

Sorry we disappointed you, Dram :( We died off in early 2006. But you guys are going strong!

Edited by Gleemonex
  • Like 1

Extreme reply from the past!

https://soundcloud.com/planet-bliss/saphire-scar-1

Sorry we disappointed you, Dram :( We died off in early 2006. But you guys are going strong!

It's great!

At least the people gained experience for their resume hopefully with some models or other things. Or just, you know life experience and knowledge. That's what matters.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson