The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Knighton Manor by Sotha (2010/11/09)

Sotha

Fan Mission: The Knighton Manor by Sotha (2010/11/09)  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

I really enjoyed the layout of the mansion as well as the humorous readables.

Oh yeah! That's why I was stacking all the bottles next to the sleeping guards :D

Speaking of this mission, I plan on updating it. If someone wants to thoroughly betatest it, please reply in the other thread.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

Knighton manor has been updated.

Get new version here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?rthhpw927ik42zu

Could someone put it available for the mission downloader? Thanks.

Changes:

v1.1 by Tels&Sotha March 2011

* fixed the firewood material to work with v1.04

* the guards leaving the yard were sometimes removed before the last one could close the gate

* the guy visiting the garden circled a few seconds before going out again

* repaired gap in patch-way leading to pond

* added grass via SEED

* optimized garden and pond with SEED

* optimized yard and windows a bit

* set the two drunks to noshadow

* Disturbing the cardgamers makes them to start patrolling the manor premises.

* Some other minor tweaks

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I have updated the version on bloodgate.com, but I cannot update the FM database so the in-game downloader will know there was an update.

@Sotha: From ttlg:

and an entry cinematic where you can start playing while it runs.

. Is this a problem?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I have updated the version on bloodgate.com, but I cannot update the FM database so the in-game downloader will know there was an update.

@Sotha: From ttlg:

and an entry cinematic where you can start playing while it runs.

. Is this a problem?

I don't understand it so I am ignoring it. =)

Clipper

I don't understand it so I am ignoring it. =)

I think he means you can move the player while the cutscene still runs. (Not that I have tried it - but I noticed that the console says "entered water" "left water" a couple times through the cutscene, which found interesting but forgot to mention to you :)

Anyway, you are probably right ignoring it :) Gratulations to the new version, btw :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I found a funny "let's play" video walkthrough of this mission on Youtube, that includes commentary here. Obviously this comes with the usual warnings: spoilers and foul language!

Unfortunately he suffered from the rotating AI bug where they don't patrol.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I found a funny "let's play" video walkthrough of this mission on Youtube, that includes commentary here. Obviously this comes with the usual warnings: spoilers and foul language!

Unfortunately he suffered from the rotating AI bug where they don't patrol.

Yeah.. Looks like the AAS32 was shot to hell in his run. A shame really. I bet he was bored with no challenge. :(

Bad advertisement for TDM overall, I'm afraid.

Still, it regardless of all that, as a former FMA, it was interesting to see the way someone took the mission, to hear their "flow of thoughts" when they were playing the mission.

Clipper

Looks like he wants to do more of these videos, so can someone ask him to recompile the AAS if he gets that problem again?

EDIT: wow, he mentions we have the wrong image for the holy water in shop and we do! Well, did - just fixed it :)

Btw, it is good to see him play, because we can see a few things:

* he extinguishes *every* light he sees (relighting will catch him, tho :D and then runs out of water arrows - at which point he gets into troubles because he can't no longer extinguish torches for the rest of the mission

* never saw him using the lantern (but I did not watch it all), nor using lit candles to look into dark corners

* the shovel sequence shows he does not know how to manipulate things with the grabber (and it shows that our primitive physics is something that will catch players - they don't know that the shovel is just a box physics-wise, and possible the gearbox is more boxy, too)

Guess we need to improve the player documentation/tutorial/training map (maybe make a shorter one?). It also has implications for the light placement by the mapper.

• 1 month later...

After having played this for the second time, I have to update my vote on gameplay from good to excellent.

AI placement and routes are fun, challenging but not frustrating. Some of the hallways could be tighter but there are a lot of exposed spots that make things interesting (when you choose not to extinguish the lights). Great job. :)

• 6 months later...

Most excellent Mission... thank you for the enjoyment. One question: How is the Special Metal Disk used? I got into the outdoor crypt and found the recess with another metal disk with square pins coming out of it, but any attempt to use the Metal Disk fails? I finished the mission on expert, but there is clearly much more to discover, especially finding other ways to deal with the alarm (I did the test part and then wound up picking the lock on the case and just taking the sceptre anyway.... although the guards went on alert, they did not aggressively interfere with my finishing the rest of the objectives. Help with the Metal Disk appreciated

Thanks Again!

IIRC

You're supposed to place the metal piece in there, not use it on the slot. Go in front of it, press your drop key to hold the object in front of you and then rotate it and init should snap in.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

• 5 months later...

A really great map. I found everything very well designed and enjoyable. Some secrets were very hard to find even for an old taffer, but that's how we like it :ph34r: . Only thing that could have been improved is to easily get down from the

attic without getting stucked, and I would have liked to be able to get the cards player's loot. I thought I could get rid of them by sounding the alarm, but they wouldn't move. Also really liked absence of undeads!!

Thanks a lot!! :laugh:

Edited by plotzzz

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late here, for some reason everytime I started playing this map I would feel impatient and unmotivated. And I really need to be in the right mood to play TDM. But I did play it now and it's an awesome mission! challenging but without quickloading, for me that's the holy grail of TDM FM design.

I didn't explore more than I had to.

I found the scepter first, but it was obvious that it had a catch so I ignored it for a while. Eventually I read about the test alarm and such. I don't know what is the disc for, though, or the other keys.

There are definitely places to explore if you want to look for them...I played it like an actual thief too (get in, do what you need to do and get out) but watching a walk-thru I noticed an entire area that I hadn't found.

Just finished on hardest setting not KO-ing anyone. A real classy rob-a-noble mission with enough detail and security to let it be an interesting job. Really loved...

...the afair souvenir collection in the attic (but it was sad to read, that he even blackmailed some, would not have needed that justification for robbing him), asshole Ralf with all the plot around him, the layout of the manor (felt realistic), the toilets - and the crypt just being a crypt (that is an unbelievable-if-not-experienced-yourself case of scarce-to-see-in-games realism)

I missed the...

...possibility to frame Ralf and watch him suffer. I want to remove the bread in the guard's quarters to get him into the right mood. I want to place the letter and corpse of his victim somewhere to be found by a patrol. Then the other guards should take the law into their own hands and lynch Ralf. I know, he will get his legs broken soon anyway because i got his stash. I know, it's not an action RPG, it's not Arx Fatalis. But watching his comrades beating him to death would have been much better than only stealing his stuff likely leading to a heavy beating in the future. Would the objectives have allowed it, i would have killed him myself just because it feels so right to do it.

Just in case, something slides out of position, i...

...blocked the weight sensor in a redundant way:

post-14396-0-30400900-1358772688_thumb.jpg

Note the use of both manuals ;-)

Edited by tdmlover

TDMlover - There are several missions with emotionally strong storylines that you might like, I can definitely suggest, from the top of my head, A Score to Settle, Heart of Lone Salvation (NOT for beginners, quite a large and difficult one), Patently Dangerous and The Builders' Influence (but there are more...). Welcome, by the way.

Edited by RPGista