The Dark Mod Forums

moddb

ungoliant

I did create a steam group, but so far I don't know what to do with it:

http://steamcommunit...ups/thedarkmod/

Anyone with a steam account wants to join?

I've added you as a friend in Steam and all you have to do is invite me to your group. Then we'll just need an additional 800,000 members, and the darkmod group will be the biggest one on Steam!  ^_^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dislike steam with a passion, due to their crap customer support, greedy attitude of newell & co.

Apologies for going off on a tangent here, but you've stated this a couple times and I'm not sure I understand where this sentiment comes from. Yes, Mr. Newell is quite a wealthy man I'm sure, but what exactly is it that makes him greedy? Steam has sales all the time, so you can find games for much less than you would pay on the high street.

Let's contrast this with GOG.com, who offer games that are often priced the same as Steam, but who I assume you don't dislike with a passion. They might also have crap customer support (I don't know if they do, I'm just postulating), but that's besides the point. The only conceivable problem you can have with Steam IMO is the pseudo-DRM that the nature of the platform enforces (which is quite attractive to publishers leading to a larger Steam catalog and therefore probably the biggest thing stopping PC gaming from going down the sinkhole), and their willingness to support Games for Windows Live (eugh!), but I'm willing to put up with that for the benefit of getting regular updates pushed to my computer, having save games synced between computers and having the ability to download, delete and download games as and when I want.

Not having a go at you, just wanted to know why all the Steam hate (I use, and like, both Steam and GOG btw).

I make it a personal rule not to rely on things that require "phoning home" to function. If you need proof of why this is bad, search google for the words: "kindle 1984".

*on topic* For publicity, I would like to see more FM playthroughs on youtube. I've searched for The Dark Mod videos, but some results didn't show up because they're called TDM, and not Dark Mod.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

An official Dark Mod youtube channel might be a good idea. About moddb updates, while it would be nice to have development progress posted on moddb, this should be moderated carefully. Not too long ago I started tracking Minecraft and it seems there's an update every 15 minutes, most of them not really updates. On the other hand, maybe that's why it's number 1. rolleyes.gif

@Midnight: I honestly can't complain about the Steam support. I got my answers in time (mostly after 1 or 2 days) and most of the time they were helpful. Of course, there are companies that do much better (Amazon immediately comes to mind), but considering that there are much worse examples, Valve/Steam does okay. 

About the greedy part, well, Left 4 Dead 2 being more of a next episode than a full game might warrant that view...

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Apologies for going off on a tangent here, but you've stated this a couple times and I'm not sure I understand where this sentiment comes from.

For me it is because Steam converts "Somethign I own (looks at 100+ game boxes in glass cabinet)" into "Something I rent and they can take away from me anytime without any justification or any recourse". Like when you cancel the sale from one game with your credit card company, they remove your *entire account*. They can also ban your *entire account* at will. They don't need to justify it, they just do it and you don't even get your money back! (Not to mention you lose access to all your games).

This circumvents a lot of laws we have here locally that should prevent such unfair conditions for the customer, and that is why Steam (or any other "you can only play as long as we say you can" dicatatorship) is not something I would ever use.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

An official Dark Mod youtube channel might be a good idea. About moddb updates, while it would be nice to have development progress posted on moddb, this should be moderated carefully. Not too long ago I started tracking Minecraft and it seems there's an update every 15 minutes, most of them not really updates. On the other hand, maybe that's why it's number 1. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, an official youtube channel would be cool, it could have our official design, too etc.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I just called and left a message for "The Linux Action Show", which is a podcast about Linux. They're planning to have an episode dedicated to games soon, so I told them about TDM. I envy anyone who discovers the mod at this point, with its 33+ missions! A newbie is sure to find something they'll like.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

yeah.. would that i could go back in time and.... not know about TDM...? naaahhhh.

edit: the linux action show is a fantastic idea. I think 95% of the demographic would be much more up our alley than moddb as well. brilliant.

Edited by ungoliant

Seeing all these venues being mentioned:

Twitter

Steam

Facebook

Moddb

Youtube

Maybe a single person or group should take the lead on being the "TDM PR Dept" to push out a consistent message across these sites. It's a job that wouldn't require programming, or mapping knowledge so there should be lots of volunteers, right?

I believe that HappyCheeze has that responsibility?

I am helping out while he is busy with school, but if the team wants to get someone more professional that would be fine by me.

(Maybe someone good with HTML and web design...?)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

B)

I see we have another applicant :laugh:

... TTLG...

I thought that Sotha had an account there so I was awaiting him to post his release but it's good that it's there now. We don't want there to be too much lag from here to TTLG or the TDM trollers will have more stuff to nail us for. ;)

Bikerdude's Moddb profile is N.I.C.E. !

(we need Caduceus of St Alban pics at the TDM profile soonish BTW... AluminumHaste???)

Edit:

Numbers are already high and climbing!!!

Edited by nbohr1more

Bikerdude's Moddb profile is N.I.C.E. !

(we need Caduceus of St Alban pics at the TDM profile soonish BTW... AluminumHaste???)

Edit:

Numbers are already high and climbing!!!

I already emailed those pics for the Moddb account, I can forward them to you if you want, just pm me your email address.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Don't forget about MyFace. People in the Law & Order universe deserve to know about TDM as well!

Thank god geocities no longer exists...