The Dark Mod Forums

Is it possible to turn the crosshair on?

Malleus

As far as I remember, the random spin was added only to player-thrown objects. I am not sure how AI fire projectiles work,

There's a random offset for AI projectiles. I've set it according to the general skill level of the AI--generic civilians are the worst, elite guards are the best.

There's a random offset for AI projectiles. I've set it according to the general skill level of the AI--generic civilians are the worst, elite guards are the best.

Ah, good :) I had thought of a test where the player "hides" behind a glas brittle fracture and lets the AI throw rocks from various distances to see how good they are. Should be fun :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The code for the crosshairs should be in with the .gui stuff.

There are always two places to look for any mod you want to do: the files in one of the .pk4's (in this case with the gui stuff) and the source-code, which you can download here: http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/downloads.php

So, there's where you get started.

The names of folders, files, and functions, as well as helpful comments, are usually descriptive enough to find what you're looking for. Then you just change any code that looks like "turn the crosshairs off" into "turn the crosshairs on".

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Ah, good :) I had thought of a test where the player "hides" behind a glas brittle fracture and lets the AI throw rocks from various distances to see how good they are. Should be fun :D

I don't think the AI will throw in that case; they know they can't hit the player on the other side of a solid, and brittle fracture will stop a CONTENTS_SOLID trace.

Any way to script them to throw on cue?

I had an idea of some seedy bar with an um-pah band and the drunk patrons start yelling and throwing bottles at them Blues Bros. style, lol.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I don't think the AI will throw in that case; they know they can't hit the player on the other side of a solid, and brittle fracture will stop a CONTENTS_SOLID trace.

Damn :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The code for the crosshairs etc etc etc

I followed up on this (thanks for the post) and managed to enable the cursor by creating my own gamex86.dll.

I was thinking about changing the cursor graphics, but I can't. I made a .pk4 file mirroring the original folder structure but with my own crosshair images, but the game just doesn't see it. I was trying it with the base game too and didn't work. I tried an existing crosshair mod, but that didn't work either (instructions for that said just put the pk4 in the /base folder, but to no avail). How to make the game read custom .pk4 files? I have the Steam version does that have anything to do with this?

Edited by Malleus

Correct, the pk4's are loaded alphabetically.

You may also need to create a material definition for the cross-hair texture you intend to use...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Allright, threw together a small crosshair mod, just using a variation of the base Doom3 one. If any one wants to try it, it's here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9xacfa8f1db5s7w

feature:

- a small semi-transparent crosshair

- appears on the screen when the player has a weapon in hand - disappears when the weapon is holstered

installataion:

- place the X_crosshair_mod_dll.pk4 and the X_crosshair_mod2.pk4 files to the .../doom 3/darkmod/ folder

Weapon in hand - crosshair on

Weapon holstered - crosshair off

(that graphical corruption only apperared on the screenshot, the game was fine)

Hrmm... I will need to test this one but... what say you TDM team folk? Should this and Fidcal's key brightener be uploaded to the Moddb Addons section as unofficial addons?

:)

LOL, that is all logical thinking.

I had my marketing hat on too tight and was thinking of the appeal of things that are "hidden" or "beta" (like how popular all of Google's so-called "beta" products are...).

"Closemouthed Shadows" is another pseudo-unofficial treat for TDM fans at the site that's kinda like that... Just something to make casual visitors feel like they have a secret special thing. Mostly just bling value...

Yes, they might have their own wiki area.

There needs to be in a central repository in any event.

But it needs to be very clear they are not official and are 3rd Party mods that aren't part of TDM. Ideally they would be on their own fan-run page, but if they have to be on a TDM page, it should have its own look separate from TDM stuff, and a big title like "3RD PARTY DARK MOD ADD-ONS" at the top.

Orbiter is another open-source game I like to play with, and it has a separate site for 3rd Party add-ons, and I think that's a good model, the ideal model actually. In the meantime, maybe a wiki page titled "3rd Party Add-Ons" with download links to filesharing sites?

• 8 years later...

I don't want to start a new thread so ask here. I've been away for a while, now I've just updated to 2.07, and when I frob objects I notice a crosshair-dot appear for a second, looks like it's no bug. I tried googling if it's the feature on darkmod forums and found no success. Is it intended to be? Is there a way to disable this?

UPD:

Oh, it's called a frob-helper. Sorry for the false-alarm, didn't notice that I turned it accidentally on in options!

Edited by Lex
  • Like 1

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.