The Dark Mod has made it into the Top 100

AluminumHaste

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heh, didn't really have high hopes... but man I really do have to find one of these countless billion C&C modders. I strangely know a lot, *LOT* of gamers and have never heard of one talking about a C&C mod post Tiberian Sun.

On the bright side it does seem like we've got a whole lot more people browsing the forums and such since we've started being a bit more proactive that side and I've seen a handful of nice comments from strangers around those parts too :)

Well, I didn't have high hopes either. That Oblivion mod that won looks phenomenal, but really, that such a complex total conversion as TDM with several new interaction systems and totally overhauled assets had never even merited an editor's pick is simply sad. For Moddb, more so than the dev team here.

Oh well, time to get back to editing. B)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Wow not even an honorable mention, I give up on Moddb, fuck them. Pointless waste of time.

Hmm, I think I shall delete my profile over there then.. as there is no point wasting my time updating etc.

Disappointing yes, as always. I'd like to know at least though which place TDM scored in the Top 100.

must be too much like hard work...

Edited by Bikerdude

The problem is maybe that they still consider TDM as 'in progress' until a mayor campaign from the creators themselves is released...

But then again, spreading word about TDM started really late and as it started it was obvious that it was in the background of the voting´s, so, as always, maybe next year! :blush:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

For what it's worth, I have posted a v1.03 release article:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/news/the-dark-mod-version-103-is-out

It appears that only the "Player's Choice" has an honorable mention area so keep crossing those fingers and toes.

:)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yep.

Minecraft consists primarily of user created content, does that mean that Minecraft has not been released?

Edit:

You could consider Minecraft to be the dumb-down-for-the-masses version of Thief\TDM fan mission creation culture.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

For what it's worth, I have posted a v1.03 release article:

That picture of the noblewoman is horribly distorted. It makes her look like Schwarzenegger in a dress. :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

That shouldn't matter. We're an active mod and we're making it into the top 100 released mods. We wouldn't get there if we weren't considered released. :)

Thats true but I think but we shouldn't undervalue that an atmospheric campaign with an interesting setting and a suspenseful storyline could have pushed TDM quiet a good way up.

Of course that's my opinion, but I feel that all the single missions are quiet fun for a little while. Each has a little story that begins and ends in one or two hourse gameplay. That's okay for me. It's just like "The Keep Of Metal And Gold" where you could download tons of little missions and have some fun whenever you wanted.

But I believe that's not the thing that made Thief so famous. As far as I remember there was a wonderfull storyline in the thief games. First the Pagans, then the Mechanists, and at last a new corrupted power forced me to get deep into the Thief universe.

However the atmosphere and the gameplay where as much as important to me, and that's what TDM does as good as (and in parts even much better) the Thief series. But it lags of a determined and exciting story.

Sure you decided to let the community as much freedom as possible in creating a new Thief Universe, but why isn't there a way, that the community does create such a campaign together? I think that wouldn't harm the freedom in any way as you can see how good it worked at alle the Thief fanmissions and great mods.

I believe, TDM is a great mod, with a dedicated community but it even has much potential and we also rely on a good campaign that we can show of in some epic-like short film on the modding- and video-platforms. I think that'll make the people want to explore TDM and get really into it.

Hopefully I could explain my impressions in a good way (yeah, bad english, sorry guys), so that you can pick them up like I meant them, and don't think that I just want to niggle or be a smart-ass or somethin'

Thanks for reading =)

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

The reason is that it is very very difficult. How many full size campaigns has the Thief community produced in over ten years? About one - T2X. Others have tried and failed.

And what a campaign it was! I loved it, especially the "knockout hammer", *thonk* lol. I kept telling myself, "Okay that guys dead, annnnnnd that one, and that one...." lol.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

The reason is that it is very very difficult. How many full size campaigns has the Thief community produced in over ten years? About one - T2X. Others have tried and failed.

We could do a concept and include permanent emloyed mappers, each one does a map with predetermined things like scenery and characters. Lately they are all put together.

Or we do it like they did in Thief before, that everyone does a map and tells his rough properties for the map and we forge the story along with the maps created before.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Don't take this harshly, but this topic comes up at least every three months or so. If you do a search for "campaign" you should find a lot of info on the subject.

If we are speaking of campaigns with an equivalent length to the first two Thief Games, T2X is the only one. However, slightly smaller yet still ambitious mission series such as Keeper of the Prophecies, Dracula, Báthory, The Night Falcon and Pirates have been completed. I believe Yandros is still working on the 11-mission Death's Cold Embrace as well, with an expected finish this year; Rocksbourg's progress has been slower, but I'd include them in the category for their strength of vision. The interesting common feature (and potential lesson) of these series is that they were mostly produced by dedicated individuals; with help, but without the involvement of a large team.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

A campaign almost certainly requires one person making the big decisions. Trying to create even a single mission by committee is frustrating and time-consuming.