The Dark Mod Forums

Ocn's questions on TDM editing.

ocn

Good first steps, nice to see that you didn't overlight the scene as many beginners do. :)

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Camstudio did work for me, got to fine tune it a bit however , even the desktop showed up in a bit alienish colors, it was all correct however, doom3 were running windowed.

Ah... windowed, of course. Thanks.

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

I had trouble finding a 'good' solution too. The one I liked most and did everything that I wanted... but not one vital thing! I couldnt get an export to AVI, and I wasnt really keen on the loss of working backwards from crapped up flv or exporting as images(tho thats actually not too bad). It has a nice interface and the editing seemed quite simple and nifty. Lightweight and doesnt come with extra crap either.

http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

Might be of interest :)

Things are progressing nicely. :)

Indeed, they do :) I like the wooden trim around the bottom, and the choice of colors.

Only things I'd maybe change:

* the oillamps on a wallpaper wall - looks like a fire-hazard :)

* candle-flames on ceiling should leave dark spots (not black, but not that clean either)

* I'd add 45° supports on the corner bars going to the ceiling. (but of course these could also be hidden behind the wallpaper as the support is often thinner than the beam, so this might be actually realistic).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Use textures/decals/splat*

Yes, that means using D3 assets

Anyone tried this with HDR on?

@ Serpentine: Thanks for the link, it is interesting. I've used their Wax software in the past. I don't know how I missed this.

@ Tels: Thank you. I agree with your input. I do feel that the arms of the oil lamps extend sufficiantly from the wall, though.

I was going to depict the site of a horrible freak accident as shown in this screenshot. However, the wolfs head doesn't have a backside to it. Any ideas?

post-3566-12914669544_thumb.jpg

No, but a cautionary note to asset designers: your work may be used in unintended ways.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

i think you could hide it with a brush that fits there ,

get the model back in original place ( better to place new one and leave this as it is now ) Create a the brush, use the clipper so it looks allright as a back of the thing, select both and rotate it in position, the brush may slide away but the important thing that it will remain co-planar with the back of the model, you just need to adjust by moving the brush separately then.

Edited by _Atti_

I was going to depict the site of a horrible freak accident as shown in this screenshot. However, the wolfs head doesn't have a backside to it. Any ideas?

Not only at home with DR, but also inventive and imaginative! ^_^ Promising.

Hm. You could try to create a patch and try to bend it so it fills up the backside. Or you could make a simple rectangular wooden brush, with which you fill the wolf head backside completely. You know, so that the new brush completely engulfs the one attached to the wolf head.

EDIT: Dang! Beaten by _Atti_. :D

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

@ Serpentine: Thanks for the link, it is interesting. I've used their Wax software in the past. I don't know how I missed this.

@ Tels: Thank you. I agree with your input. I do feel that the arms of the oil lamps extend sufficiantly from the wall, though.

Create a patch (basically a one-sided polygon mesh), texture it with wood and move it into place. (If the wolf head is moveable, you'd need to create a func_static from the patch, then bind it to the wolfhead, but I don't think this is the case here)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Anyone tried this with HDR on?

No, but decals are just darkending/coloring the underlying surface so it should work. If not, we can always just copy the few D3 shaders, add our HDR code to them and add them as extra file. In fact, we really *should* do this anyway, as people should not use D3 assets - this will only bite them later (when D3 goes away as planned :)

Thanks for the suggestions. :) It ain't easy getting it to look right... Need to work on this a bit. Is it a huge project to edit a model like this? I have some blender experience, but I wouldn't know the first thing about getting a model into a game.

EDIT: Actually, I just solved it. There's an empty wooden plaque that I just rotated 180 degrees and placed behind the wolfs head. Cool!:)

Edited by ocn

It ain't easy getting it to look right... Need to work on this a bit.

Go ahead and use it in your map, Ocn. I've added backs to all the mounted head models, so they'll show up in the 1.03 update, which should be before the end of the month.

Go ahead and use it in your map, Ocn. I've added backs to all the mounted head models, so they'll show up in the 1.03 update, which should be before the end of the month.

Awright! You work fast, Springheel. :D

Wow! I just discovered the in-game light editor. What an utterly wonderful tool. I can't get it to save my changes, though.

Either Patches:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Patches

...or imported ASE (preferable due to smoothing groups) or LWO models.

:)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

or imported ASE (preferable due to smoothing groups)

Where'd you get that impression from?

Either Patches:

http://modetwo.net/d...p?title=Patches

...or imported ASE (preferable due to smoothing groups) or LWO models.

:)

Hmm... I see. Thanks. :)

EDIT: But it says: "Will NOT seal against the void." So if I wanted a rounded ceiling I would have to place a regular brush above (aligned with the walls) to do the actual sealing, right? (a lot of ceilings here, but different with meanings).

Edited by ocn

I have a fuzzy (but fairly certain) recollection that LWO doesn't have as many smoothing group options or the import doesn't retain them...

I will double-check my modwiki references... :unsure:

If this article is correct then no smoothing works with LWO... (unless the bullets are part of the MD5 converter reference):

http://www.modwiki.net/wiki/LWO_%28file_format%29

I have a fuzzy (but fairly certain) recollection that LWO doesn't have as many smoothing group options or the import doesn't retain them...

The majority of our models are .lwo, and their smoothing levels are just fine. That wiki entry is either incorrect or talking about something else (I'm not sure what they mean by a "smoothing angle").

Given the choice, I would prefer our models be in .lwo format because it's far easier for me to work with them.

Hmm... I see. Thanks. :)

working with patches may be hard for the first time. Later, when you get used to how to manipulate them, it becomes easy and enjoying. I have even attempted to model a treasure chest working with Dark Radiant. However I don't advise it. Working on very small grids was really challenging and result was just failure. Because very small grids (0.125 and 0.25) don't work properly in game.

Edited by SiyahParsomen

That's a good clarification Springheel.

That mean's that a cave level made of LWO models (like Mad's Mountain) could be even further visually enhanced with the illusory curvature of smoothing (Vertex Normals). :)