Ocn's questions on TDM editing.

ocn

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Otherwise just chop the section of the map out and put it somewhere for us to have a look at, otherwise it's a bit tricky to suggest things :)

If I were to post the map... What files would be needed? Just the .map file?

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

You could even just save that area as a prefab, spoiling surprises etc :) but yeah, just a .map/prefab is all.

I don't think there'd be many surprises- after all I'm just a beginner so there's a lot of replicated other people until I find my own way. Hope that's okay, though.:P

Here's a piece of the puzzle anyway. Thanks for the patience, guys.:) Or as the doctor says when he prays: "Thanks for the patients, God."

http://oceanarts.net/Downloads/CAVE.map

Has anyone had a chance to behold the errors of mine ways? And would take the time to point out what can be done?

Ah yeah I did (and thought I replied)

It's just to do with how the texture is mapped, the lines are most likely just the normalmap changing harshly between two divisions in the patch.

If you use copy/paste shader you'll see what I mean (look in the texturing window at the same time). There should be some tutorials about how to texture the inside of an arch on the wiki, they'll give you a good idea :)

Hmm... I think I'm having some problems with my water entities. I'm not sure, though. Splash noises are heard when entering and exiting the water, but there are no actual swimming sounds. I'd swear I've heard swimming in other missions, but when testing to see now, there weren't any. So, perhaps there is none, but I've also notices some sounds in the library that appear to be missing or can't be located. So what's going on?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes... Working with ideas for that Seasons contest. Nothing solid, yet. But I remembered how magical winter was when I was a kid. Seeing how the snow glitters in the light of the streetlamps. Pretending it was the stuff dreams were made of. And I was wondering if there is a way to simulate that glittering effect on snow textured surfaces when illuminated.

And also if it would work to replace the rain/snow with falling leaves, and if so... how?

There is a particle editor. So you could make a texture leaf and a particle effect (I think there is some wiki info on leaves (tree particles, but just a different/stationary particle). It would surprise me if there is a very similar particle that can be adjusted to act like falling leaves.

A possible way to make snow glitter would be to have a specular map with a bunch of tiny dots of white all over it. That would give shiny specs, though not really flickering. Might be some way to animate the spec map separate from the diffuse, not sure. Or possibly have an overlay on the snow (a patch) that had a transparent texture with solid specs and high specular, and animate the texture to scroll/rotate.

Just throwing out some ideas that should be possible.

----------

Not sure about the water.

1- make sure you are using tdm water (the start pack has like 10 different water pools)

2-make sure the water is sealed in a 'tank'. Each side of the water needs to be sealed against solid worldspawn (even if it's just nodraw behind patches)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

A possible way to make snow glitter would be to have a specular map with a bunch of tiny dots of white all over it. That would give shiny specs, though not really flickering. Might be some way to animate the spec map separate from the diffuse, not sure.

My experiments with making animated water have shown a few ways to do this by either using scale or scroll stages for the specific map, however this does seem to be rather heavy on the performance(well not that bad), even for relatively few frames. However I think that perhaps for the effect that snow glittering slowly might have, it could be possible to lessen this greatly as the texture is DDS and would use less frames. I'll try knock up a demo for you this weekend ocn.

{
   blend specularmap
   map textures/temp
   scroll table<frames>[ time ] * <1/frames>, 0 // there are table32 for 32 etc
}

You might be able to achieve the same effect with a blend filter stage that 'blinks' according to a table, similar to the way the candle glow 'pulses'. In fact, I'm pretty sure there is/was a star background that did that...the stars actually twinkled.

@ Baddcog: Thanks. I'll check out that particle thingy.

@ Serpentine: Wow. That demo would be great!

@Springheel: No idea what you're talking about, but it sounds super awesome!

My god! I just had an epiphany of what this mission is about. It's great. Thanks nbohr1more for setting these gears in motion.:)

Have you added new custom textures?

You could make a temporary override pk4 like zzz_ocns_custom_textures.pk4 and place the material defs and textures in there.

Did you leave a mission installed that has custom textures applied?

If so uninstall and retry the dmap.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

How do I resolve problems with missing textures when dmapping?

Are they on models? If so, there is a bug in DR 1.5 which makes them display sometimes as not found.

Are the on the world and appear *after* you dmapped? Then you likely have a leak, or a not-closed visportal.

Screenshot?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Are they on models? If so, there is a bug in DR 1.5 which makes them display sometimes as not found.

Are the on the world and appear *after* you dmapped? Then you likely have a leak, or a not-closed visportal.

Screenshot?

No they don't appear ingame. It's a large outdoor area without any visportals, so that could probably be it.

The textures that are missing are on the clocktower prefab.

No they don't appear ingame. It's a large outdoor area without any visportals, so that could probably be it.

The textures that are missing are on the clocktower prefab.

Are the only missing in the editor? Maybe the prefab is just broken?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

No, they're missing in the game. Unless they're pitch black, illuminated or not.

Sorry, I meant "are they missing in the editor, too" :)

post-3566-129742090605_thumb.jpgMissing both ingame and in the editor.post-3566-129742090447_thumb.jpg

Ah, yes, the prefab is broken, it uses "textures/Flanders/blokken_even_grijsbruin".

I can fix that up for the v1.04 release (or possible 1.05), but you should fix it yourself, just select the faces and use another material.

Edit: Fixed prefab is on SVN. Be warned tho, the textures were fixed, but the architecture not - it is very sloppy with the patches not aligning up, so you will get sparkles/black stripes when looking from the inside at it:

post-144-129742319308_thumb.jpg