Ocn's questions on TDM editing.

ocn

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back to my dramatic falling ragdoll scene... Can I control which way she faces when she hits the ground? I seem to be able to control her rotation on one axis (don't ask me which, cause axis are confusing to me), I just want to flip her over, so she lands face up. I want to see her eyes, her pain... her story. Yeah! That's it... her painful story.

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

you should be able to just flip her to face the correct way before the fall, otherwise you can pose the ragdoll if theres no long drop distance, i.e you find her already face up. To pose ragdolls ummm there was something recently on the forums asked by BD, otherwise the wiki most likely has the relevant commands and notes :)

you should be able to just flip her to face the correct way before the fall, otherwise you can pose the ragdoll if theres no long drop distance, i.e you find her already face up. To pose ragdolls ummm there was something recently on the forums asked by BD, otherwise the wiki most likely has the relevant commands and notes :)

I've managed to rotate her correctly. It didn't occur to me to fiddle with the rotation of the actual ragdoll rather that the rotation of the teleport entity. The results are sending shivers down my spine. This is going to be real cool when it's done. Are there any plans to modify the females so that their skirts rest at their feet as they're lying there? The view is... ahem... sort of distracting.

ragdolls be ragdolls, since they're usually walking and not falling great heights...

You never know what a ragdoll might be up to. Reminds me of a particularly scary doll my sister had when we was little... unsure.gifOh! Great move Serpentine, I won't get much sleep tonight.

Help! Bit of a crisis here. I must have inadvertently pressed a key or something. Now there's an ever so slight gap between the brushes, revealing both caulked surfaces and z-fighting... and boy are they battling for survival. I'm not touching anything until further notice.

EDIT: Yes. My map is broken... current rendercrop error. :( Luckily I save often. But I'd like to know what might have caused this sudden disassembly of my structures.

Edited by ocn

Did you snap something to a larger grid than they were build at?

I'm not sure. I was adjusting a patch decal, and I was trying to navigate with the AWDS keys instead of the arrow keys for a second. I could see something happening, but thought not much of it until I turned around and saw all these pink caulk stripes all over the place.

EDIT: Seems I have to exit DR and reopen for the "error" not to translate to other saves. Sadly, I've lost a rather large modification to the mission.sad.gif Oh, worry not child... this may lead to bigger, better things.wink.gif

Edited by ocn

Ahem... would fog light produce magnitudes of rotating polys all over the screen when doing a showtris 3?

EDIT: Nope- it's not the foglight. I deleted it and they're still there. Probably supposed to be there, but weird nonetheless. What are they?:blink:

VIDEO

Edited by ocn

Ahem... would fog light produce magnitudes of rotating polys all over the screen when doing a showtris 3?

EDIT: Nope- it's not the foglight. I deleted it and they're still there. Probably supposed to be there, but weird nonetheless. What are they?:blink:

VIDEO

It looks like as if you're standing inside some kind of particle emitter. Are there any nearby? Or do you have some kind of gui overlay going on? Do those stripes appear everywhere in the map or only in that location? Franky I've no idea what that could be, never seen such a thing before.:blink:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

VIDEO

Other fog particle emitters? Also, why use showTris 3?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Also, why use showTris 3?

Just playing around.cool.gif Sometimes when I have friends over I like to show them what I'm working on, and type in commands I know but neither of us understand. And I look smugly at them. Only this time those rotating blades of death appeared and I was dumbfounded.

No, there are no fog particle emitters, and no gui overlays.

There are particle emitter nearby, but not everywhere- those rotating things are all over the place though they seem to lessen near the edges of the map.

Edited by ocn

I am way too late, but wouldn't it work with an animated noisy normalmap (maybe combined with an animated specmap)?

Have to try some of these suggestions some day.smile.gif

Apparently those rotating things were indeed particle emitters. More precisely falling leaves that I edited myself, so big surprise there. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

What options are available to manipulate the camera inside the game? The movements I've seen strike me as very mathematical. Is it possible to make it more organic or bumpy if you will (though simple instructions or flags)? What about depth of field?

It's been a long time since I've screwed with cameras but func_cameraview and nurb splines aren't the only option. It's also possible to export MD5camera files from a 3d modeling/animation package. This allows you to keyframe position, rotation, and field of view.

Of course, in addition to prior knowledge of a modeling/animation package you need a working exporter. There are a couple listed on the modeling page on modwiki although I can't speak for how they've aged. There's also a page that describes the format so writing/updating a script is not out of the question.

Depth of field is technically possible but you'd be a pioneer of sorts since neither Doom 3 nor TDM comes bundled with a DOF post process effect.

You'd also have to figure out a way to turn it on/off and animate the parameters. Perhaps you can use frame events in a model declaration? Alternatively you might be able to use a lookup table along with a material shader or a simple level script.

Edited by rich_is_bored

Is there someone out there who'd be willing to graciously devote some of their time to help me with my map in a more direct way? (ie. I mail the map and an idea I simply do not have the mental capacity to implement and they'd do it for meB)- No heavy building involved.) No credit will be given, I'll give everyone the impression I did it all myself. I could possibly squeeze in a little technical advisor credit in small print somewhere fairly well hidden. Of course I'm just kidding. I am very thankful and appreciative deep down inside.:)

It wouldn't be easy but you could use your map and some TDM AI in a "standard" Doom 3 cut-scene.

Then use the DOF effect from Sikkmod.

But the end result would have to be an ROQ movie.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

It wouldn't be easy but you could use your map and some TDM AI in a "standard" Doom 3 cut-scene.

Then use the DOF effect from Sikkmod.

But the end result would have to be an ROQ movie.

I think it'd be easier to do some post processing myself. Don't want to fiddle too much with additional mods and such. But thanks.:)

A removable necklace would be perfect for my mission, but some of these gals "already got one, and it's very nice...". I don't suppose there's a way to remove that and add another frobbable one?